Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Help with a Dumb dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Default Help with a Dumb dog

How do you house break a six year old beagle that is retarded we have puppy pads down and he knows its okay to pee on them if he needs to but he continues to pee on everything expensive such as a feather down mattress cover for his sake and mine help is he is running out of chances and my patience is running thin real thin those things are expenisve

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

The best way to train a dog is to scare the sh#t out of it. Get an aluminum can, put 15 or 20 pennies in it and tape the top. Keep it close by and if you can catch the dog about to squat or start peeing, shake the hell out of that can. Worked for me on my Doberman and my lab. I learned that hitting a god as discipline does nothing, scare them good and they hate being scared, it fixes the problem. Worth a shot at least.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Watch him like a hawk. Unless he is exhibiting "marking behavior", he's just not getting outside frequently enough.

As soon as you notice him sniffing around, or otherwise "disappearing from view", make him go outside, and use the word outside when you do.

Eventually he will put it together.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51
Watch him like a hawk. Unless he is exhibiting "marking behavior", he's just not getting outside frequently enough.

As soon as you notice him sniffing around, or otherwise "disappearing from view", make him go outside, and use the word outside when you do.

Eventually he will put it together.
I woke up an toom a pee and starting making his breakfast he was still asleep he snuck in and peed all over the mattress cover he is sneaky when we first got him he would just hike his leg and pee and you could hear it now he sqats and puts his boy parts on the carpet or whatever and pees so you cant hear it he knows iys wrong and he knows if he goes to the door we will take him out anothwr thing he does is we will take him out and he will pee a whole lot and as soo. As we come back in he will go hide and pee in the house he is in his cage now thats what we have been doing
I do however like the pennies in a can idea.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #5

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Pennies in a can is a great idea. I had a beagle once with the exact same problem, I got rid of her, sat outside the animal shelter while people were coming and going looking to adopt a dog, figured someone is going to want a free dog instead of an adoption fee.

I decided that beagles may be just good for nothing but hunting.

Last edited by trip286; 01-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have his kidneys and liver checked. He may an uncontrollable bladder from failure in 1 of the 2. I had an issue like this with a Bull Mastiff when he turned 7. He passed away less than a year later from kidney failure.

If it is not an issue for him medically, do as others have said. Keep a close eye on him and try to scare him while catching him in the act. There is also a product called "Out!". It is a spray that attracts the dog to the specific area that you WANT him to pee. You can spray it on the puppy pads or out in your yard. It worked great for my boxer when he was a puppy. No accidents in the last 16 months for him. He is now 2 years old.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Take the dog outside to where you want the dog to pee. Then you pee at that location so the dog can see what you want. When the dog pee's reward him/her with praise. Problem solved.

Last edited by Ranger-6; 01-31-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 654 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 375

I really wish you luck but it's going to be very difficult to housebreak a six year old dog. That behavior needs to be taught from the beginning. Punishing him will just probably make it worse. And is not fair to the dog. As someone wrote, it might be a medical condition. Check how much water he's drinking. And the salt and sugar in his diet. If he's drinking a lot he might have diabetes. I had a Jack Russell male that was house broken, but as he got older he had to pee about every hour. Drove me nuts, but it wasn't his fault. Ranger's suggestion is good.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1821 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 557

He is doing it on purpose. Go pee in his bed.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Question, have you had the dog long? Is he new to the house, if so you may be dealing with a male dog that is trying to show you he's boss.