Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Hearing Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hearing-protection-55968/)

Vikingdad 01-21-2012 06:22 AM

Hearing Protection

Who is the member that has the reusable hearing protection?

pagj17 01-21-2012 06:41 AM

I use those sonicear or w/e they're called earplugs... or sonic defenders...
They work awesome.

rigjumpr 01-21-2012 06:45 AM

I believe that is Canebreak not 100% sure though.

Tell_Sackett 01-22-2012 04:49 PM

Kind of related, any one use these? How well do they work?

Amazon.com: Peltor 97079 Combat Arms Earplugs: Home Improvement

vincent 01-22-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 683908)

The yellow foamies are completely reusable, just put 'em in your pocket, run 'em through the wash, been doing that for over 20 years. Saves money (if you have to buy them) and I usually end up always having a pair on me...

dragunovsks 01-22-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I got muffs, i hate earplugs with a passion

Vikingdad 01-22-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 685173)
The yellow foamies are completely reusable, just put 'em in your pocket, run 'em through the wash, been doing that for over 20 years. Saves money (if you have to buy them) and I usually end up always having a pair on me...

That's what I currently do. I buy a box of the yellow ones and we have them in the hallway by the front door (as well as everywhere else that is handy. Like out in the shop).

There is a guy here though (maybe Canebreak?) who sells a putty material that is reusable and I now want to give them a try. The reports were pretty good from other members.

MrWray 01-22-2012 07:29 PM

Im always guilty of not using ear protection when i just wanna put a mag or two down range, then i alway cuss whenever i cant hear sh!t for 3 hours,lol

But i usually just wear the little foam plugs

gwk4667 01-22-2012 08:49 PM

I love my electronic muffs - - - even the cheap $10.00 version works well on the range but the "stereo" ( like the $40.00 Champions ) are great for both the range and for hunting.

You can be sitting in a tree and hear the deer coming from many yards away. With the cheap ones you can hear the deer coming but canít tell from where - - - with the stereo ones you can turn your head and zero right in on them!

Your wife will get upset when she finds out you can hear her whispering from the far end of the house!

Dragonheart 01-22-2012 11:30 PM

When I first started shooting nobody worried about hearing protection. Even when I started competitive shooting no one wore hearing protection or maybe a piece of cotton stuck in the ear. Then in the mid 60's the NRA published the first article on hearing loss due to gunfire. By then I was in my late teens and the damage to my high frequency had already been done. I can tell you from personal experience gunfire will cause hearing loss and it doesn't take years of exposure to do it. Ever hear that ringing after a loud report? If you answer yes, then your hearing was damaged and it doesn't come back. Get a good set of muffs, they are are only $20 for a high decibel muff made by Peltor. Ever see the old guys and some young ones leaning across the table trying to understand what someone is saying? They see the lips move, they hear the noise, but the can't distinguish the words from the background noise. At home they have the TV turned up so loud that the neighbors don't need a television. That, my friends, is high frequency loss due to loud noises. OSHA regulation require hearing protection when exposed to sound pressure greater than 80 decibels as damage is beginning to be done. The noise in many restaurants exceed that number.