Hearing Protection? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Hearing Protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Today I was at a slight disadvantage as I went hunting last saturday and fired 2 shots from a 18" barreled 6.5x57mm without hearing protection since them my ringing is much worse. The doc (Very cute mind you) said I should get a white noise machine to help me sleep at night. I also have a few other problems going on for sleep as well....

But I am chucking the cheap junk muffs I have and investing in some high quality ones for me and some specifically for PVT Tango as well.
Talk to your doctor. There are some drugs on the market now a days that can help to restore some hearing loss.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #12

Misspent youth and loud work places have left me with a constant ringing in my ears,so I wear muffs any time I shoot,or am with anyone else who's shooting.
Some of the guys I know say "it's only a 22" and don't cover up unless something big comes out,not me,I don't go to the range without it.
I just did the foam in my older set and my newer ones are only 6MO old so I'm good for now.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A good reminder Tango. I bought electronic muffs last year and truly enjoy them but it is about time to replace the inserts. Something I would have forgotten to do. I expect the more you use your hearing protection the more often you need to replace the inserts, I only use mine 2-3 per month for a couple of hours each time so once a year should be fine.

Thanks for looking out for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 11-26-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #14

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Today I was at a slight disadvantage as I went hunting last saturday and fired 2 shots from a 18" barreled 6.5x57mm without hearing protection since them my ringing is much worse. The doc (Very cute mind you) said I should get a white noise machine to help me sleep at night. I also have a few other problems going on for sleep as well....

But I am chucking the cheap junk muffs I have and investing in some high quality ones for me and some specifically for PVT Tango as well.
Heres the ones I use http://msanorthamerica.com/catalog/product502773.html

Last edited by mrm14; 11-26-2009 at 01:28 AM.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:35 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yup, headset AND plugs every time on the range. So much easier to shoot when your melon isn't splitting from the noise.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 AM   #16
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 465 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1461

what? can you speak up please?

Old 11-26-2009, 04:17 AM   #17
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

I have the little plugs (custom fit versions from the military) and nice cover the ear protection (they work great when studying and ignoring the wife and dogs).

Old 11-26-2009, 04:20 AM   #18

I developed Tinnitus at a very early age, I think when I was around 10 years old. I am now 22 and it is very annoying. I can't hear high-pitched noises, and at night when I try to sleep it sounds like I am camped out next to the freeway, the dense hum of traffic stuck in my head and no way to stop it unless I turn the TV or radio on. So I always wear hearing protection because if I shoot without it I will be almost deaf for two or three days, everyone sounding like the adults from Charlie Brown (WAH WAH WAH WAH).

Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #19

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Here is a good video that shows you the proper way to put in ear plugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNFKsxJuvYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNFKsxJuvY

Old 11-26-2009, 11:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey-you-guys View Post
I developed Tinnitus at a very early age, I think when I was around 10 years old. I am now 22 and it is very annoying. I can't hear high-pitched noises, and at night when I try to sleep it sounds like I am camped out next to the freeway, the dense hum of traffic stuck in my head and no way to stop it unless I turn the TV or radio on. So I always wear hearing protection because if I shoot without it I will be almost deaf for two or three days, everyone sounding like the adults from Charlie Brown (WAH WAH WAH WAH).
Maybe you could use that pinkie finger of yours. Oops, looks like someone broke it off.
Hearing Protection? - The Club House

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."