Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Hearing Protection? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hearing-protection-20451/)

cpttango30 11-25-2009 09:06 PM

Hearing Protection?

When was the last time you replaced the cups and foam in your muffs?

Well I went and had my hearing checked today and By golly I have some bad high range hearing loss. The audiologist said 6 months to 1 year is the life of the foam in a set of muffs. If the muffs don't touch then they are no good as they are not applying the right amount of pressure to the head to get a proper seal.

She also tole me that you need to reach over the top slightly to the back of your head and pull on your ear lobe then insert in the canal plugs. If you don't they do not get in deep enough and are not providing the proper seal. She also informed me that the NRR rating is really half of what is shown on the package. I have some more visits to make and some other stuff to do but I am getting a set of custom molded ear plugs from westone for shooting I am also going to be replacing all my muffs with brand new ones. I will also be wearing plugs and muffs on the range from no on.

Once your hearing is gone it is gone.

We spend much time on cleaning and taking care of our guns why are we not doing so on our personal protection equipment (PPE). Check them muffs and replace them if they need it.

IN all I plan to have a 2 different sets of custom plugs one for shooting on the range and one for hunting.

dunerunner 11-25-2009 09:27 PM

As a shooter with a 50% hearing loss (all high range), I cannot stress the importance of the post above me more!!

Dillinger 11-25-2009 09:39 PM

I learned about electronic countermeasures to sound early in my first career. At the time I was not shooting regularly, but the principles held true.

Now I have three sets of electronic ear muffs and I back those up with Leight Foam plugs that go into the ears themselves for both me and the lady.

I hate loud noise headacahes. I used to work in a machine shop. Things getting dropped or banging around. They finally got so many complaints that they had to bring in a sound tech place to test us all. Turns out my hearing wasn't damaged yet, but I learned that it does not take much.

I can not stress the importance of your hearing. In a house intrusion situation, your hearing and familiarity of the house are two of your best advantages.

Listen to what the good Tango is sharing with you. You will greatly miss your hearing should it be gone...

JD

skullcrusher 11-25-2009 09:57 PM

What? Did someone say something?

mrm14 11-25-2009 09:58 PM

I've been changing the cups in mine about once every year. I suffered across the board in range of hearing loss about 28% by the time I was 28 Y.O. due to extended periods ot time of exposure to racing engines before they had sound control at the race tracks. I used to pit crew for a sprint car and had exposed myself to db levels exceeding 130 for several years before I had realized what I had done to myself. Prior to my envlovment in sptint cars I had a Pro Gas and then an Econo Rail dragster when I was even younger. Even though my time in the dragsters was only about 2-1/2 years I'm sure this added to my hearing loss as well.

That being said; I cant stress the point enough the use of hearing protection for anyone who shoots either regularly or even ocassionally. For that matter to any excessive db exposure of any kind one should have good hearing protection.

Just ask me in person and I'll probably respond with "Huh?" until you speak up a little louder.

yesicarry 11-25-2009 10:01 PM

Tango is 100% correct ! It doesn't take much to destroy hearing..

Back in the 80's, I used to bring cotton for my ears at concerts. After AC/DC making my ears ring for 2 days at the For Those About To Rock album concert. Then Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance concert.. Was deaf for almost a week when Rob Halford held the mic next to the exhaust pipe of a Harley through the Amps..

But yet 20 rounds through a 12 ga. without hearing protection is worse than a rock concert..

Nowadays, it's foam ear plugs WITH muffs.. I can still hear my wife cuss and mumble cr*p in the kitchen about me..

Now that age is catching up with me, my wife says it's "selective hearing".
I have to agree.. But we all can use it as an excuse now..hehe....

skullcrusher 11-25-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesicarry (Post 190719)
Tango is 100% correct ! It doesn't take much to destroy hearing..

Back in the 80's, I used to bring cotton for my ears at concerts. After AC/DC making my ears ring for 2 days at the For Those About To Rock album concert. Then Judas Priest Screaming For Vengeance concert.. Was deaf for almost a week when Rob Halford held the mic next to the exhaust pipe of a Harley through the Amps..

But yet 20 rounds through a 12 ga. without hearing protection is worse than a rock concert..

Nowadays, it's foam ear plugs WITH muffs.. I can still hear my wife cuss and mumble cr*p in the kitchen about me..

Now that age is catching up with me, my wife says it's "selective hearing".
I have to agree.. But we all can use it as an excuse now..hehe....

I've been very lucky with the hearing. I still have very good hearing for my age and exposure. I have been to roughly 150 rock and metal concerts with no protection. While hunting, I do not wear hearing protection, but I always have when plinking and sighting in.

Funny you mention the AC/DC and Juduas Priest concerts. Not that long ago, I went to the 'reunion' concert for Iron Maiden. LOUDEST damn concert I have ever attended and it was outdoors! I do not say that lightly since I have attended concerts for the likes of Pantera, Metallica, AC/DC, Megadeth, Motorhead....on and on. Then there are the small clubs for the likes of Fear Factory, White Zombie, Black Sabbath, Six Feet Under, Acid Bath and on and on.

UnderFire 11-25-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 190716)
What? Did someone say something?

I was waiting for that...should of known Skull would be the one. :D

Shooter girl 11-25-2009 10:48 PM

Don't use muffs. I used to, but they were just too uncomfortable.

Work provides us with these high tech smart foam ear plugs. They are molded directly to the wearers ears, and some how they only block out loud noise, but you can still hear conversations. We get new ones every six months.

cpttango30 11-25-2009 10:57 PM

Today I was at a slight disadvantage as I went hunting last saturday and fired 2 shots from a 18" barreled 6.5x57mm without hearing protection since them my ringing is much worse. The doc (Very cute mind you) said I should get a white noise machine to help me sleep at night. I also have a few other problems going on for sleep as well....

But I am chucking the cheap junk muffs I have and investing in some high quality ones for me and some specifically for PVT Tango as well.