Hearing impairment - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hearing impairment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 310 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Many years ago, for several years, I pit crewed for a sprint car team before sound control was mandatory. For over 5 years I expesed my ears to what was measured at 20 feet from the car 125 to 130 db's. Before I was 30 y.o. I had lost near 28% of my hearing. Back in the early 1980's sound control was required on the cars and the db's were reduced to 80 to 85 db's at 20 feet distance from the car. Since then I have learned to continued exposure to 120 or so db sound levels will induce permanate hearing loss. Continued non stop sound levels in excess of 155 db's is in the range of sound weapons. Certain frequency levels of extremely high db level sound damages much more than hearing.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 AM   #12
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Many years ago, for several years, I pit crewed for a sprint car team before sound control was mandatory. For over 5 years I expesed my ears to what was measured at 20 feet from the car 125 to 130 db's. Before I was 30 y.o. I had lost near 28% of my hearing. Back in the early 1980's sound control was required on the cars and the db's were reduced to 80 to 85 db's at 20 feet distance from the car. Since then I have learned to continued exposure to 120 or so db sound levels will induce permanate hearing loss. Continued non stop sound levels in excess of 155 db's is in the range of sound weapons. Certain frequency levels of extremely high db level sound damages much more than hearing.
Who did you pit with? Expect you knew Fred Brownfield.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
My thought is there has been more than a few saying they are developing a game and need info. For the most part the information is easy to get from the manufactures. So why ask the question here? Maybe to get some nice quotes for another use?
I have sent questions to Lapua and Vihtavuori (I live in Finland), but it is also very good to get practical info from shooters themselves.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Thanks, and how else should I live my life? I suppose I shoulda worn headgear for every rock and metal concert I've been to, eh mom? If anyone can find me a 'game ear' that can actually distinguish the game I'm hunting from every other critter, let me know. If you've ever spent as much time in the woods as I have just listening...

As I stated, Mother rika, I use protection when plinkning and sighting in, dorika. Isn't there a breather of city air you could be watching?
I didn't mean to be condescending or imply that I know best how you should live your life.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #15

Liked 310 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Who did you pit with? Expect you knew Fred Brownfield.
I pit, for a short stretch, for the late Dave Bradway jr. After I left he became a outlaw circut racer. He died in 1988 at Skagets Washington between 1 &2. There was a rut in the track that most of the race was avoided but just past the midway mark of a 30 lap, I believe, event he had to go into the rut. The Chassis was a Tognitti chassis that was not totally leagl and when the car commenced to flip it collapsed on him and he was dead. However, the cause of death didnt come from the chassis fairlure but from the violent tumbling of the car which ripped the aeortic arch out of his heart. They said he probably didn't feel a thing. He was a good friend of mine and I knew him for many years before he got into sprint cars. He worked for Stammerjohn Racing engines and was at the time their head engine builder. When this happened to him he was racing for Clyde Lamore who owned Tri C machine in West Sacramento. They were sponsered by Coors and his car at the time was a "Silver Bullet" Car. I hadnt pit for him since 1982, when he was not a Outlaw racer, when he was working his way up with his own car and just a few local sponsers. Most who knew him has never gone to a race since. Bill Stammerjohn a few years later sold out his business and became a math professor at a university in Washington.

I didnt know Fred Brownfield as at the time Dave raced in California at Silver Dollar raceway in Chico, ocassionally at Placerville, and Freemont. I did know Wayne Sue who was at the end of his racing carrer in the first few years I was involved in this sport, and I knew Steve Kinser, as at the time he was racing these tracks.

I havent been or watched a race since Daves death. I have no more interest.

Before I hooked up with Dave and his group, me and a couple of friends did campaign a Vega Pro Gas dragster. We dicided after a couple of years of the Pro gas car we would get into what they called an Econo Rail. Let me tell you what, theres nothing econimical about a Econe Rail class dragster. I had to bail on this endevor and expense of this dragster with my friends about half way through the second season we raced it.

I used to in the mid 70's until the early 80's have a shop where I built engines for street and some high effort professional engines. It was a good business until mail order motors prevailed in about 1982. There was never enough money in professional racing engines at the size my endevor was to keep going after the mail order motor thing happened. All the street stuff dried up. Mail order motors won the day. Small guys like me couldnt compete with their prices. Also fuel prices, insurance, and laws killed the real street scene about this time. The days of 8000 plus RPM high ft pound torque 800 plus hp 1-1/2 MPG street beasts became extinct. Now it's 4 banger Asian imports with insane oversize exhaust that rules the day on the street. Cheap to build (in most cases) easy on fuel and cheaper to insure.

To be totally honest about this time in my life, I didnt really miss it. At that time I was getting totally really board with it. The love for it was already long gone and it was no more than a income. I've found much easier ways to make income since then and do quite well now as a Telcom contractor to the utility companys.

Jeeeze I kind of went on a tangent here. Sorry