Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Head-shake of the day!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Head-shake of the day!!!

One of the ER physicians I work with, who has to have only the best, bought a Benelli M4 Super90 Police shotgun through one of the cops he knows. He paid $1500 for it.

When he got it he thought they had forgotten to include the magazine with the gun until someone told him that this particular shotgun does not have a magazine.

He then wanted to know where and how one loads it and where do the empty shells eject from, the bottom?

Bless his heart, he is trying, but what would you call someone who'd pay $1500 for a shotgun that he doesn't know how to load much less operate?

One of the other physicians recently got a 40 cal Glock, not sure of which model, but he was trying to describe something to me and called the barrel "the smoke-stack".

Ya know and I hate to say it, but some people probably don't need to own guns!!!

(What would John Moses Browning do?)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #2

Liked 97 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyrunner View Post
but what would you call someone who'd pay $1500 for a shotgun that he doesn't know how to load much less operate?
My dad would have referred to him as an "educated idiot".

Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Sounds like them docs may soon wind up being patients in their own ER.

You might want to drop a hint or two about a Introduction to Firearms handling class.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyrunner View Post
One of the ER physicians I work with, who has to have only the best, bought a Benelli M4 Super90 Police shotgun through one of the cops he knows. He paid $1500 for it.

When he got it he thought they had forgotten to include the magazine with the gun until someone told him that this particular shotgun does not have a magazine.

He then wanted to know where and how one loads it and where do the empty shells eject from, the bottom?

Bless his heart, he is trying, but what would you call someone who'd pay $1500 for a shotgun that he doesn't know how to load much less operate?

One of the other physicians recently got a 40 cal Glock, not sure of which model, but he was trying to describe something to me and called the barrel "the smoke-stack".

Ya know and I hate to say it, but some people probably don't need to own guns!!!
As a doctor myself I would say this is not the norm for the other doc's I know. There is actually a dental forum that I belong to that had a thread on dentist's that carry and there were well over 100 responses!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2547 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

These same people spend $80,000 on a car they really know little about. Does anyone even read owners manuals anymore? Sounds like a market for teaching basic skills to rich folks. One of these days I am going to figure out how to teach common sense. THEN, I'll be one of them "rich folks"

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Putting guns in the hands of people like the two ER docs is about as dangerous as putting a plumber in an operating room with a scalpel in his hands. Relying on a gun for protection and not knowing how to use is a damn good way to get ones self killed. When push comes to shove I doubt that either doc would have what it takes to actually kill another human being. Statistics show that even during the thick of combat only one out of seven are actually aiming at an opponent. We have several guns in the house but our main line of home defense is a 107 lb Doberman loving called The Land Shark.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #7

Last edited by DrJason; 11-25-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: reread post

Old 11-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I happen to be a retired person with a PhD in Abnormal Psychology who worked with both local and federal law enforcement for over 25 years. My point was that even though the ER docs were well-educated and successful persons their comments showed that they did not posses the common sense or training to own or handle firearms. Among my colleagues I know at least seven or eight well-educated, brilliant, very successful people who it would scare the hell out of me to put a gun in their hands.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
I happen to be a retired person with a PhD in Abnormal Psychology who worked with both local and federal law enforcement for over 25 years. My point was that even though the ER docs were well-educated and successful persons their comments showed that they did not posses the common sense or training to own or handle firearms. Among my colleagues I know at least seven or eight well-educated, brilliant, very successful people who it would scare the hell out of me to put a gun in their hands.
Sorry I reread it and noticed you said 2 ER docs.....my bad

Last edited by DrJason; 11-25-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: misread

Old 11-25-2009, 03:30 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry you misunderstood the point I was making. I had no intention to put down doctors as a class but only the gross stupidity they exhibited as far as the use and ownership of lethal weapons goes.