HD firearm safety question - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

HD firearm safety question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

@Hawkguy, "i use a DBL shotty for HD" I think your neighbors to the east call that a "Twice barreled Shoot Gun" if I'm not mistaken, lol. A fine choice for home defense in my book. We have a walk in closet in our bedroom. That's where the long guns are stored. We can lock the door when away and we store the handguns in there if we get little ones over. Again, locked.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #22

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I keep a gun on me all of the time. I keep a loaded shotgun beside the bed. My dog is not very social so I lock her in the bedroom when we have company. When we leave the house I lock everything that is not going with us in the safe. Since everyone has gone crazy over ammo we got a second safe for ammo and guns we don't shoot very much.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #23

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
...and the victims response is to install a security system.

Tack
which isn't a bad idea....but i'd bet anything they made another purchase as well.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Far, far too many Hawkguy.
probably true. wish it wasn't but....
dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I keep a gun on me all of the time. I keep a loaded shotgun beside the bed. My dog is not very social so I lock her in the bedroom when we have company. When we leave the house I lock everything that is not going with us in the safe. Since everyone has gone crazy over ammo we got a second safe for ammo and guns we don't shoot very much.
A cat owner would've pointed out that they unloaded the shotgun when securing the cat in the bedroom.

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
@Hawkguy, "i use a DBL shotty for HD" I think your neighbors to the east call that a "Twice barreled Shoot Gun" if I'm not mistaken, lol. A fine choice for home defense in my book. We have a walk in closet in our bedroom. That's where the long guns are stored. We can lock the door when away and we store the handguns in there if we get little ones over. Again, locked.
yup, you gotta protect the wee ones at all costs, imo. if you have very small children, you better think through having a loaded gun in your house....and make damn sure there is NO WAY....

i don't want them getting near my loaded "twice barreled shotgun," that's for sure!
dango Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A cat owner would've pointed out that they unloaded the shotgun when securing the cat in the bedroom.

curiosity + shotgun killed the cat?

wait....er...i'm lost again.
dango Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 12

As I mentioned, I always pocket carry, but this is my HD gun setup on my bed.

http://youtu.be/CcJUGuB35y8
dango Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4444 Times on 2464 Posts
Likes Given: 22390

I just make sure my ex wife and dogs receive same offensive training..!

" down woman , down" ,,! (Drool)..!
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #30

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

I would say that the risk of a child or other "unauthorized" person finding and using an unsecured firearm, possible against you, outweighs the time it takes to access a gun that's locked up.

Home defense is about much more that just having a gun. Coming out of a dead sleep to face a threat with a loaded gun "immediately" in your hand is IMHO the WORST case scenario and has the potential for killing a loved one by mistake.

Needing to take a few moments to shake out the cobwebs while accessing the gun will give your mind time to wake and focus...

...and having a dog, alarm, or some other form of "early warning device" is a better option than the a groggy homeowner instantly grabbing a "hot" shotty.

Just my .02 cents.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this is just a thought.

i remember seeing an article on a break in. two men came home to find two other men had broken into their home, and found their loaded shotgun in the process. the men (intruders) tried to use the gun on the homeowners when they tried to grab it. the only thing that saved these homeowners from getting killed by their own gun was the fact they kept the chamber empty. bad guy pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

i remember it ended well for the homeowners. in a violent fight, they managed to get the shotgun back and kill both intruders.

i don't want an unarmed intruder finding my loaded gun easily and using it one me. it can certainly happen. i'm not saying anything 100% prevents this, but i sure don't think you want to make it easy.

on the flip side, i also think if you can't get a HD gun in a second or two...it becomes ineffective. thus, the reason i think keeping the gun perpetually locked up is not real effective.