HD firearm safety question - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > HD firearm safety question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I guess I am a bit off the mark from the mean on this. My primary HD is a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel; it stays beside my bed almost exclusively. It stays loaded, chamber empty, and safety off with a tube full of shells and a side-saddle rack with a few more. I feel that this is acceptable since I do not have children over or generally allow anyone unfamiliar with firearms into my home and certainly not past the kitchen or TV room. My handguns are stored with loaded magazines inserted (empty chamber) and with additional loaded magazines within 10 inches, all in the safe in my bedroom. When I am in my car, a pistol will be on the seat beside me; when I must leave the car, the pistol is locked in a nanovault cabled to the seat support. The safe is locked anytime I am not home. I have locked up the shotgun for a day or two in the safe when I have gone out-of-town and when I had repairmen in the house. I don't take any longguns out for rides unless I am going plinking.

As to the risk of a burglar stealing the shotgun, I am not overly worried about it. The shotgun was not expensive and would not be difficult to replace. I would not be bothered by someone being shot by my shotgun any more than I would be bothered by someone being shot by any other shotgun. Personally, I don't feel most burglars would consider the bulky shotgun an acceptable burglary tool in any but the most violent of areas. Were I to decide to burgle and felt the need for a firearm, I would go with a more concealable pistol or revolver. Now, a determined murderer or home invader might appreciate the shotgun's appearance and abilities, but I doubt a home invasion crew would be put out of business for the lack of my one old shotgun, the one behind steel-framed, steel doors, in that shadowed corner by my alarm clock.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #12

Liked 2848 Times on 1687 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

this is just a thought.

i remember seeing an article on a break in. two men came home to find two other men had broken into their home, and found their loaded shotgun in the process. the men (intruders) tried to use the gun on the homeowners when they tried to grab it. the only thing that saved these homeowners from getting killed by their own gun was the fact they kept the chamber empty. bad guy pulled the trigger on an empty chamber.

i remember it ended well for the homeowners. in a violent fight, they managed to get the shotgun back and kill both intruders.

i don't want an unarmed intruder finding my loaded gun easily and using it one me. it can certainly happen. i'm not saying anything 100% prevents this, but i sure don't think you want to make it easy.

on the flip side, i also think if you can't get a HD gun in a second or two...it becomes ineffective. thus, the reason i think keeping the gun perpetually locked up is not real effective.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I guess I am a bit off the mark from the mean on this. My primary HD is a Mossberg 500 with a 18.5" barrel; it stays beside my bed almost exclusively. It stays loaded, chamber empty, and safety off with a tube full of shells and a side-saddle rack with a few more. I feel that this is acceptable since I do not have children over or generally allow anyone unfamiliar with firearms into my home and certainly not past the kitchen or TV room. My handguns are stored with loaded magazines inserted (empty chamber) and with additional loaded magazines within 10 inches, all in the safe in my bedroom. When I am in my car, a pistol will be on the seat beside me; when I must leave the car, the pistol is locked in a nanovault cabled to the seat support. The safe is locked anytime I am not home. I have locked up the shotgun for a day or two in the safe when I have gone out-of-town and when I had repairmen in the house. I don't take any longguns out for rides unless I am going plinking.

As to the risk of a burglar stealing the shotgun, I am not overly worried about it. The shotgun was not expensive and would not be difficult to replace. I would not be bothered by someone being shot by my shotgun any more than I would be bothered by someone being shot by any other shotgun. Personally, I don't feel most burglars would consider the bulky shotgun an acceptable burglary tool in any but the most violent of areas. Were I to decide to burgle and felt the need for a firearm, I would go with a more concealable pistol or revolver. Now, a determined murderer or home invader might appreciate the shotgun's appearance and abilities, but I doubt a home invasion crew would be put out of business for the lack of my one old shotgun, the one behind steel-framed, steel doors, in that shadowed corner by my alarm clock.
i think how you do things sounds good. not having small children changes the dynamic quite a lot.

i'm not OVERLY worried about my guns being stolen either (its just a "thing" really). but i don't want them used on me when i enter the house, and i'd sure prefer if a criminal did not use guns that belong to me in any sort of crime. but really in many ways, that is out of my control.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-24-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
My system evolves as time goes on. Here's what I mean. Right now, the only guns I keep "loaded" are our two M&Ps in a bedside handgun safe. They have loaded magazines inserted, but no round in chamber. My daughter is only a year and a half right now, so I'm not very worried about it. The key is kept well out of her reach, but the safe does have combination buttons. If she happens to figure out the combination, and we're for some unGodly reason not with her (which never happens), she is not physically strong enough yet to operate the slide. My rifles, are hanging on the wall in my living room, well out of her reach. The little ammo I do have for them is kept in our bedroom, in the closet, on the top shelf. By the way, all our handguns are in the handgun safe. Only the M&Ps have ammo within reach of them, and they are the only ones that are 9mm, so it's not like she could somehow use the ammo from the magazines of the M&Ps in a different gun.

When my daughter (and future son, for that matter) are old enough to operate the slide, I will have long since taught them proper firearm safety. I whole-heartedly believe exposure to, and teaching of, firearms at a young age, in a controlled environment, will lessen their curiosity later on, and prevent accidents. If that isn't enough, then I might revise my bedside gun safe storage when they can operate the slides.

In the future, we will be getting a full sized gun safe and keep everything in there with the exception of our bedside guns, and the exception of the following: when we own our house, I will install wall safes sporadically throughout the house, with an extra gun and magazines inside, all loaded. They will not be able to be opened by anyone except myself or my wife, until the kids are in their teens and have proven to us that we have raised them right.

Theft of a gun? Well that will be covered when we can afford a full on gun safe. Of course they can still get into the, if they have enough time (safe will be bolted to the floor so I doubt it will go anywhere). Until then, all our doors are always locked and we have four dogs. None of that might be enough, but we don't have many alternatives until we can afford a full safe. Also, we very rarely don't have one of the two of us at home. If I'm at work, she's there. If she's at school, I'm there. She is competent with firearms so she could easily get to the bedside gun safe if something started to happen. The dogs would alert her and she would hopefully have enough time to get the gun. But that's why we're gonna have wall safes later on, when we're not renting anymore.

I think I covered everything.

Oh, and since I don't yet have a CCW permit in Kalifornia, I don't CC here. But when I did in NC, I always had a round chambered. I would do the same here, and the round would be unloaded when the gun goes back in the safe.
your entire post brings up a good point imo.

this is really about considering each person's individual needs. if a gun owner truly thinks about what is best, most effective, and most safe in their situation, most of the time that is all that is needed. everyone has different issues and preferences to deal with.

i'm glad to see so many put forth so much thought into a serious matter. but then again, the vast majority of the gun owners here seem to be very intelligent and responsible individuals, so i am not really surprised.

sometimes i think i have perfected my system, other times i think it could be better. but thus far, no accidents or even near accidents in my house....and the one time i thought an intruder was coming in my home (false alarm), i had my gun in hand in zero time flat!

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
and the one time i thought an intruder was coming in my home (false alarm), i had my gun in hand in zero time flat!
Same here. It actually just happened the other day. My wife and I thought we heard someone in the house. Had my M&P in my hand, loaded, in no time at all. Turns out, I forgot to let one of my dogs back inside. She was scratching at the door, thank God.

The round which I chambered then became unloaded and put back in the magazine. Gun back in the bedside safe. All is well.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
...i'm not OVERLY worried about my guns being stolen either (its just a "thing" really). but i don't want them used on me when i enter the house, and i'd sure prefer if a criminal did not use guns that belong to me in any sort of crime. but really in many ways, that is out of my control.
Good point! I wouldn't want to walk in on somebody with my shotty when my car gun is usually just the 9mm Bersa or the 45.

I will consider a under bed shelf for better concealment of the shotty while keeping it in reach.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

See this home invasion video. I have a HD gun in a handgun safe mounted to my bed frame in case needed at night. When at home, I always at least pocket carry my P3AT with or without my CCW. This woman in very lucky that she wasn't hurt worse than she was.

http://youtu.be/dvvHMM6TF50

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post
See this home invasion video. I have a HD gun in a handgun safe mounted to my bed frame in case needed at night. When at home, I always at least pocket carry my P3AT with or without my CCW. This woman in very lucky that she wasn't hurt worse than she was.

VIDEO - NJ Home Invasion Caught On Tape
sheesh! that is soo freakin disturbing! animals that attack and beat a woman like that? how many sickos like this piece of garbage are out there? what bothers me most, is he didn't have to hurt her to get what he wanted. he WANTED TO HURT HER, that is obvious.

hope they get this guy. EVERY individual against having a self defense firearm in the home needs to see this! this lady could have been killed in this attack. she was at his complete mercy!

reminds me of something else in my life. think this gave me my idea for my next thread.

Last edited by hawkguy; 06-25-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
sheesh! that is soo freakin disturbing! animals that attack and beat a woman like that? how many sickos like this piece of garbage are out there? what bothers me most, is he didn't have to hurt her to get what he wanted. he WANTED TO HURT HER, that is obvious.

hope they get this guy. EVERY individual against having a self defense firearm in the home needs to see this! this lady could have been killed in this attack. she was at his complete mercy!

reminds me of something else in my life. think this gave me my idea for my next thread.
Far, far too many Hawkguy.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #20

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1 View Post

VIDEO - NJ Home Invasion Caught On Tape
...and the victims response is to install a security system.

Tack