Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   HD firearm safety question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hd-firearm-safety-question-92810/)

hawkguy 06-24-2013 04:01 PM

HD firearm safety question

as a responsible gun owner, i try to think through all the "worst case" scenarios in my mind when it comes to keeping a HD firearm loaded and ready for use in the home. a few obvious concerns:

1) children or firearm uneducated in the home
2) loaded gun in home when you are NOT AT HOME. (example: the possibility that an intruder might find your HD gun and use it against you)
3) theft of HD gun (with possiblity of it being used for a violent crime)
4) quick access to HD gun in time of need

how do some of you address the issues i have listed? are there any others i might have missed in relation to firearm safety and preparedness?

i think i have a pretty good system (though none is perfect). but i would love to hear some of your ideas on this.

hawkguy 06-24-2013 04:14 PM

my solution

i use a DBL shotty for HD (please don't biden me to death ;)). but i think my system for my HD firearm could work with many other guns as well. i honestly keep the DBL shotty for ease of understanding and use when it comes to my better half.

i do fear the idea of keeping it loaded when i leave the house. to me it would be the saddest form of irony to have someone use my own gun on me or my family. :eek: i also fear litigation that might be brought against me if some dumb kids got in my house and took a loaded weapon out.

for me its easy. i keep a small lockbox hidden. it is bolted into a shelf, so it can't be quickly taken. any time i leave my house, i remove the shells and lock them up. it takes all of 10 seconds as part of leaving the home. it could just as easily be removing a mag from a gun as well and locking it up. when i return home, i unlock and return shells. when i'm in the house i'm aware of where it is & where any children might be. if they are visiting children, i will lock the shells away again. (my wee ones know better than to touch guns). my other firearms and ammo (not HD) are of course locked up.

its simple, but i think it is a sensible and honest effort to keep my firearm safe from accidents or mishaps. certainly not perfect, or "fool proof", but i feel i have made an honest effort to be safe and keep my HD firearm accessible and effective at the same time.

what do y'all think...could improvements be made?

c3shooter 06-24-2013 04:22 PM

Loaded firearms on my person or under lock. When the grandkids are old enough to be REALLY responsible, they get the combination- along with the understanding that THAT is a grown up thing- and misuse of it EVEN ONCE results in combo changing, and their losing the privilege forever.

Time is usually into their teens, when I have several years of being able to judge their maturity with firearms and other matters as well. Have never had to change a combo on account of the youngsters. And they understood it was to protect younger kids that were not yet responsible persons.

texaswoodworker 06-24-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1285429)
as a responsible gun owner, i try to think through all the "worst case" scenarios in my mind when it comes to keeping a HD firearm loaded and ready for use in the home. a few obvious concerns:

2) loaded gun in home when you are NOT AT HOME. (example: the possibility that an intruder might find your HD gun and use it against you)

how do some of you address the issues i have listed? are there any others i might have missed in relation to firearm safety and preparedness?

i think i have a pretty good system (though none is perfect). but i would love to hear some of your ideas on this.

1) There are lock boxes you can get, or you can keep your bedroom door locked at night. My HD gun will double as my CCW gun, so it will always be on my person.

2) See above.

3) See above, again.

4) You guessed it, see above. :p

hawkguy 06-24-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1285454)
1) There are lock boxes you can get, or you can keep your bedroom door locked at night. My HD gun will double as my CCW gun, so it will always be on my person.

2) See above.

3) See above, again.

4) You guessed it, see above. :p

lol! you've got it figured out! ;)

hawkguy 06-24-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1285444)
Loaded firearms on my person or under lock. When the grandkids are old enough to be REALLY responsible, they get the combination- along with the understanding that THAT is a grown up thing- and misuse of it EVEN ONCE results in combo changing, and their losing the privilege forever.

Time is usually into their teens, when I have several years of being able to judge their maturity with firearms and other matters as well. Have never had to change a combo on account of the youngsters. And they understood it was to protect younger kids that were not yet responsible persons.

sounds very reasonable and responsible.

one question....do you keep your entire gun locked up? if so, how quickly can you access it? i considered locking up the whole gun, but pulling a firearm in out of a safe seemed....troublesome. and i know some keep them locked up at all times & i just question the ability to access the gun quickly and effectively in that scenario.

thus, the reason i just remove the ammo and replace it each time. it seems like the least labor intensive....and i don't want to fumble with locks or combos when i have a need to quickly access my gun.

Tackleberry1 06-24-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1285499)
sounds very reasonable and responsible.

one question....do you keep your entire gun locked up? if so, how quickly can you access it? i considered locking up the whole gun, but pulling a firearm in out of a safe seemed....troublesome. and i know some keep them locked up at all times & i just question the ability to access the gun quickly and effectively in that scenario.

thus, the reason i just remove the ammo and replace it each time. it seems like the least labor intensive....and i don't want to fumble with locks or combos when i have a need to quickly access my gun.

Yes... the entire gun locked up.

Personally, I have a heavy duty gun vault mounted to my bed frame. It's got a "pharmacy lock" 5 button mechanical/turn dial which allows the door to drop open exposing a Sig 226 .40.

There are hundreds of good pistol vaults on the market. For long guns, I'd check out "in wall" gun vaults. They fit between wall studs and secure to the studs, the front flange covers any drywall damage during installation, and they can be found with either mechanical locks like what I described above, electronic keypads, or fingerprint ID depending on what you want to spend.

"on me... or under lock and key" has been said before and I just said it again...

With a 2 and 4 year old in my house, anything less would be imprudent.

Tack

hawkguy 06-24-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 (Post 1285540)
Yes... the entire gun locked up.

"on me... or under lock and key" has been said before and I just said it again...

With a 2 and 4 year old in my house, anything less would be imprudent.

Tack

all well said. you seems to have a very safe & effective system and i applaud that.

i don't use a handgun for HD at the present time, so carry on me isn't an option. thus, i have reservations about keeping the firearm locked up, for fear i couldn't get to it quickly enough.

it is out of reach, and little ones aren't allowed in the room the gun is kept. if i have concerns about its safety, i lock up the ammo (or i suppose i could just carry it on me).

JW357 06-24-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy

My system evolves as time goes on. Here's what I mean. Right now, the only guns I keep "loaded" are our two M&Ps in a bedside handgun safe. They have loaded magazines inserted, but no round in chamber. My daughter is only a year and a half right now, so I'm not very worried about it. The key is kept well out of her reach, but the safe does have combination buttons. If she happens to figure out the combination, and we're for some unGodly reason not with her (which never happens), she is not physically strong enough yet to operate the slide. My rifles, are hanging on the wall in my living room, well out of her reach. The little ammo I do have for them is kept in our bedroom, in the closet, on the top shelf. By the way, all our handguns are in the handgun safe. Only the M&Ps have ammo within reach of them, and they are the only ones that are 9mm, so it's not like she could somehow use the ammo from the magazines of the M&Ps in a different gun.

When my daughter (and future son, for that matter) are old enough to operate the slide, I will have long since taught them proper firearm safety. I whole-heartedly believe exposure to, and teaching of, firearms at a young age, in a controlled environment, will lessen their curiosity later on, and prevent accidents. If that isn't enough, then I might revise my bedside gun safe storage when they can operate the slides.

In the future, we will be getting a full sized gun safe and keep everything in there with the exception of our bedside guns, and the exception of the following: when we own our house, I will install wall safes sporadically throughout the house, with an extra gun and magazines inside, all loaded. They will not be able to be opened by anyone except myself or my wife, until the kids are in their teens and have proven to us that we have raised them right.

Theft of a gun? Well that will be covered when we can afford a full on gun safe. Of course they can still get into the, if they have enough time (safe will be bolted to the floor so I doubt it will go anywhere). Until then, all our doors are always locked and we have four dogs. None of that might be enough, but we don't have many alternatives until we can afford a full safe. Also, we very rarely don't have one of the two of us at home. If I'm at work, she's there. If she's at school, I'm there. She is competent with firearms so she could easily get to the bedside gun safe if something started to happen. The dogs would alert her and she would hopefully have enough time to get the gun. But that's why we're gonna have wall safes later on, when we're not renting anymore.

I think I covered everything.

Oh, and since I don't yet have a CCW permit in Kalifornia, I don't CC here. But when I did in NC, I always had a round chambered. I would do the same here, and the round would be unloaded when the gun goes back in the safe.

Tackleberry1 06-24-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkguy (Post 1285549)
all well said. you seems to have a very safe & effective system and i applaud that.

i don't use a handgun for HD at the present time, so carry on me isn't an option. thus, i have reservations about keeping the firearm locked up, for fear i couldn't get to it quickly enough.

it is out of reach, and little ones aren't allowed in the room the gun is kept. if i have concerns about its safety, i lock up the ammo (or i suppose i could just carry it on me).

For a long gun I'd suggest you check this out.

http://www.dcgstores.com/iwc-55-full-length-wall-safe-sto.html?origin=pla&unique_id=28521&gdftrk=gdfV262 83_a_7c2838_a_7c10251_a_7c28521&gclid=CKvRnMu9_bcC FSFyQgodEyUAvA

Cheap, easy to install, will keep little hands away, and would also take tools and effort before a thief could walk off with your shotty... and do God knows what, with it. ;)

Good Luck