hay bailing on my farm.... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > hay bailing on my farm....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7441 Times on 3795 Posts
Likes Given: 8315

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I have some very fond and special memories of square bales. Baling hay is almost a rite of passage for some folks.

When you have several thousand you have to get in, and they each weigh between 60 and 100 pounds depending on whose farm your helping out at... if you can keep up, you're one of the men.

It was such a big deal, farmers from my area scheduled their cuts so that no two farmers had cut hay on the ground at the same time. It was a community effort, putting the youngest and the oldest on the tractors, and everyone else trying get it done.
Bad year for hay in Upstate NY, way too much rain, most has gone to seed and falling over. My Brother in Laws been chopping and filling the silo but hes gonna need the silos soon (If the damn corn matures). Its either 8' tall or 3' according to where and when they planted, not gonna be a good year for farmers in NY.

I threw bales from the time I was 9 and Ive got the scars to prove it! Makes me itch just thinking about it. One farm I worked baled 8o lb bales and had no kicker or sides on the wagons, that was a workout but paid an unheard of $5.00 bucks an hour plus Koolaid! Finest kind!

I went into electronics for a reason, farming was way too much of a commitment for me, I take my hat off to all of those Americans who feed Us and half the rest of the world, you do gods work!

Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 838 Times on 653 Posts

here i am checking the fence line this spring. note the benz hood ornament. my dad put that on decades ago, to remind him of the worst car he ever owned. the benz is dead and buried, but the jim dandy is still going...long after he's gone too. rip dad.
good ole jim...a one lunger 9hp powerhouse! jim dandy built these tractors using korean war surplus jeep wheels.

img_2966.jpg  

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Last edited by bobski; 08-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.