Having a pet lynx (bobcat)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Having a pet lynx (bobcat)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Default Having a pet lynx (bobcat)

Anyone have one? Any species doesnt matter bobcat included. Been looking for one in las vegas NV for a bit now (yes its legal here). Any info/ experiences would be nice to hear, i have also looked up all the info i can online and other facts. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I had a cat that looked like a Bobcat -- little ear tufts and all. He was so pretty -- yes, pretty. But Bobcats themselves are wild animals and could kill you. Maybe a mean Maine Coon could too but luckily they are big, snow-designed, mushes who need room to play otherwise you shouldn't consider one of them either!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler View Post
Anyone have one? Any species doesnt matter bobcat included. Been looking for one in las vegas NV for a bit now (yes its legal here). Any info/ experiences would be nice to hear, i have also looked up all the info i can online and other facts. Thank you.
Let me get this right, you want this for a pet?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

wild animals by nature do not usually make good pets. even those gotten when real young usually at some point when they mature have a tendency to revert to wilder instincts. unless you are well versed in dealing with wild animals, not a good idea.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I grew up in a ranching family. I came into possession of a little baby Raccoon.... With "Clyde" at times it was a challenge with him and his opposable thumbs. And when he got to feeling his oats he developed a fondness for crotch sniffing. I wouldn't suggest a Raccoon for a pet. They are curious, destructive, and temperamental.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7339 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9054

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
wild animals by nature do not usually make good pets. even those gotten when real young usually at some point when they mature have a tendency to revert to wilder instincts. unless you are well versed in dealing with wild animals, not a good idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
I grew up in a ranching family. I came into possession of a little baby Raccoon.... With "Clyde" at times it was a challenge with him and his opposable thumbs. And when he got to feeling his oats he developed a fondness for crotch sniffing. I wouldn't suggest a Raccoon for a pet. They are curious, destructive, and temperamental.
I have hand raised several raccoons and a couple squirrels. All were very fun and cute. But, as mentioned, they are wild animals. All.......everyone one of my 'babies'.......were allowed to be wild animals when they grew. Once they reach sexual maturity, nature kicks in and they aren't really interested in hanging with the humans. All of my 'babies' were allowed to come and go as they pleased. Eventually, they were gone more than they were here with me. I always left food out for them and have a special feeder that they need to lift the lid on to get at the food so my dogs don't eat the raccoon food.

Wild animals can make interesting pets but in the long run, they should be allowed to be what they are.........wild. I always look forward to getting a new wild animal to hand raise when I can but I know they eventually go their own way........as it should be.

Also, all animals I raise get wormed and a prophylactic injection of penicillin.

Here he is as a baby...

Here he is older and spending time outside......

Here he is one morning after he spent the night outside. He heard me letting the dogs out and wanted to see what was going on. He came out of the tree and ran to the back door for some scrambled eggs.

Okay.......that all being said, it is very difficult to find a vet that will treat a wild animal. Almost impossible if you aren't a licensed wild life rehabber. Also, getting a bobcat neutered would be an absolute necessity for having it as a pet. I can't imagine the litter box situation. And if the animal becomes unmanageable, what would you do with it?
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I sense ....yes! the prelude to another thrilling episode of Fatal Attractions!

I love that show

:P

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 04-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7339 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I sense ....yes! the prelude to another thrilling episode of Fatal Attractions!

I love that show

:P
How big is a Bobcat? Can they really kill a person?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post

having ones face eaten off may not necessarily be lethal, no.

Seriously, it's a wild cat. Domesticated cats are self centered jerks. Its just math. wild+cat= face eating .

That said, I fully endorse this decision on the grounds that 1) there is potential entertainment in the future for me and 2) laws prohibiting ownership of wild animals decreases mans respect for dangerous, face eating creatures.

To the OP: please be careful to not endanger your neighbors or their animals.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Cattledog; 04-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
at the largest around 40 pounds and the average is a little over 20 pounds. possibly, but not likely.