Hat guidance - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Hat guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Posse up, Pilgrim! (Yeah, I'm actually starting to talk like that.)

Old 02-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #32

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
I ain't messin with a man in a cowboy hat who's smokin' rugged lookin' ce-gars. That's one bad dude right there...
What about the guy with the cowboy hat and the 1911?

Hat guidance - The Club House

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know if anyone addressed this, I didn't see it, but you do not want a wool felt hat. They suck. You want a fur felt, most are generally beaver.

The X count addresses the softness and the amount of fur in the hat. Like it was said earlier here, the higher the X-count, the higher the quality of the hat. They are more comfortable and conforming, and retake their shape better if squashed. Stetson Premier Collection has a hat called the Diamante. 1000X Chinchilla & Beaver fur for a cool $5,000.

I don't have $5,000 for a hat, or even $1,000, and figure neither do you. Well thats OK, because 10X is an excellent hat for normal folks, maybe even too much for the occasional wearer. There is nothing wrong with lower X counts either, you just have to find a balance of cost and quality. I have a 4X Bailey and it is ok, but think I would probably spend a little more money for a little better hat if I had it to do over.

There is also nothing wrong with a straw, and you can get one at a better price point. If you see an X count on a straw, it is an indication of quality only since they obviously don't have any fur. I have a 10X Resistol straw that is more hat than I would have bought if I hadn't stole it during a great sale.

Good Luck and enjoy.

Once you get a hat, do we need to start talking about boots...?

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #34

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If you go with Steson, the biceps will grow to 20". The car doors will open for you and no woman will walk straight after a go with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Hesitate to bump this, but an update was needed.

Since the bug wouldn't go away, I went with Mattg's suggestion, got the Resistol 2X Pueblo.

The biceps are up to 18.5", I no longer use fuel in my car, I merely give it a quick jab with my spurs, and I no longer buy condoms, as that's what rattlesnakes are for.

$60, everybody should have one.
I laughed my ass off reading those posts. Benning, you definitely have a winner on your hands... LOL

*makes mental note to keep Robocop away from any prospective hook ups at the First Annual Firearmstalk Bar-B-Que and Shoot Off*

JD

Old 02-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #35

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Thanks

I laughed a lot with this hat thing... I needed to laugh a little.
In here, where I live near the Venezuela-Colombia border, and near of the Guajira region... the most pupular type of hat is the called "Cañaflecha" some kind of straw (caña - cane) and it's specially braided with a very old tecnique from local indians, The hat have some caracteristics... if you count from the outside border of the hat to it center, must have 300 loops or rings, that's why it's called VUELTIAO too (vueltiao means a lot of loops or turns). Other caracteristic is that don't shrink or lose his shape after get wet, can be rolled in to a 3" tube and don't lose the shape (this is the most common presentation; rolled in to a 3" tube). In Latin America the straw hat rules but a Cañaflecha or Vueltiao it's a straw 100x equivalent they are expensive if you consider what is the average cost of any other straw hat (any good Cañaflecha can run about $50)
On the other hand, in Venezuela the Llaneros (our local version of cowboys) wear straw hat too, but when they have a special ocation, use the luxury "pelo e guama" hat. It's made from Giant Otter (Pteronura brasiliensis) fur, because the Giant Otter is a endangered specie is illegal hunt or trade any product from it. A "pelo e guama" hat can cost $500 easily
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #36

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Watch the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and pay attention to the single action and rig that Russell Crow's character uses. SWEET SET UP!!

JD
hell yeah!!!! those grips are awesome. i want some of'em

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #37

Can't sell out my hat, but Asmel and Bighead got me thinking, I need some endangered species boots.

If I can't get Komodo Dragon boots, someone mentioned Tony Lama. What do I look for in boots? I still wear jungle boots most of my off time, so I haven't a clue where to start.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 AM   #38

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Lol

Quote:
Can't sell out my hat, but Asmel and Bighead got me thinking, I need some endangered species boots.
If I can't get Komodo Dragon boots, someone mentioned Tony Lama. What do I look for in boots? I still wear jungle boots most of my off time, so I haven't a clue where to start.
White cocodrile maybe?
Loblan are made in here....
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 02-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #39

You have to e-mail for a price, that must mean super expensive.

Beautiful boots. Is crocodile durable?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:07 AM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

You want them to be snug, but not overly tight with a very slight slip in the heel. There are several different heel & toe styles, you'll just have to figure out what suits you. I like a medium heel and medium point toe (not one for extremes, what can I say). I knew a guy once who said if you couldn't kill a cockroach in a corner is wasn't a cowboy boot, but many who wear boots regularly will swear by roper style boots (low heel and round toe). Check out Bootbarn.com. My personal choice is Nocona and Ariat, but Justin, Larry Mahan, Tony Lama, and several others make excellent boots.

Crocodile, elephant, water buffalo, and ostrich are all very durable hides that will last a lifetime if properly maintained. $200-$500 retail will generally buy you a very good pair of exotic boots depending on the skin/brand.

Since we talked about $5,000 hats, check out these boots...

Lucchesse 125th Anniversary Limited Edition...only 125 pairs of hand tooled American Belly Alligator will be made at $12,500 a pair.

Last edited by Bighead; 02-18-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Newest Threads