Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Hat guidance (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hat-guidance-9517/)

Benning Boy 12-30-2008 04:46 PM

Hat guidance

So I'm reading various threads, and it occurs to me: I need a cowboy hat.

I try to shake it loose. I'm not a cowboy. I've never ridden a horse. I don't actually need it.

But dammit, I want a cowboy hat.

I know nothing about them. It would be something I'd wear in really s#!**y weather, it would likely take a beating, can't be too ostentatious.

Anybody offer anything on lowest price, what to look for?

matt g 12-30-2008 05:25 PM

Resistol: http://www.resistolhat.com/

Really though, out here in the west, only poseurs wear cowboy hats. Most of the farmers and ranchers wear baseball hats.

Dillinger 12-30-2008 05:43 PM

Wow - you have opened a can of worms for yourself. About 10 years ago I starting dating this true farm hand country gal. Beautiful gal who loved to go out two stepping and she loved & looked like a younger sister to a singer at the time named Terri Clark. Beautiful long dark hair and most amazing blue green eyes.

So, at the time Terri Clark was ALL OVER the place and Resistol was her sponsored hat, so I decided to get Connie, the girl in question, a Resistol hat like her idol. Off I go to the local country shop....

Holy F**K! I had no damn idea what the hell I was in for....:eek:

First off, these damn things are expensive, and they are "graded" by a number of "X" rating depending on the quality and care taken in their manufacture process.

1X - is a basic, bottom of the barrel hat

10X - Now you are getting a quality hat that was hand sewn and finished.

20X - Now you are getting ridiculous amounts of hand only selected products and hand only done work, plus I think Country Gods of the Past stop by and bless the damn thing....

And it goes up from there, believe it or not.

I think I ended up getting her like an 8x, black, just like Terri Clark wore and she was MOST appreciative, but "F" me it was an education...

Good luck. You are really going to need to look around, and probably talk to a few folks before you buy.

Interesting note: True cowboys DO NOT grab the top part of their hat to remove it from their head like they do in the movies. Apparently that is a serious faux paus. You only ever touch just the outside brim of the hat for removal, placement or adjustment. Anything else affects the quality & fit of the hat....

JD

Benning Boy 12-30-2008 05:49 PM

I had a feeling it just had to be complicated.

What about straw? Why is this chosen as a material?

Dillinger 12-30-2008 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 58312)
I had a feeling it just had to be complicated.

What about straw? Why is this chosen as a material?

It's cheap and you don't have to worry about wearing it outside in the rain.

All those REALLY GOOD HATS don't get outside the closet in the rain.

Hell, that 20X resistol sat in a glass box that had an ambient light OUTSIDE the box to not affect the felt AND had a tight seal to keep dust and particles out.

They take that sh!t seriously... LOL

Here you go here's an example of what I am talking about.... LOL

Benning Boy 12-30-2008 06:00 PM

$420? Better come with a horse!

Straw it is.

Now what shootin iron to go with it?

Dillinger 12-30-2008 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 58316)
$420? Better come with a horse!

Straw it is.

Now what shootin iron to go with it?

Watch the remake of 3:10 to Yuma and pay attention to the single action and rig that Russell Crow's character uses. SWEET SET UP!!

JD

robocop10mm 12-30-2008 06:06 PM

Straw is a good, inexpensive alternative to felt. It is meant for everyday wear and NOT for dancin'. A decent straw hat will hold its shape pretty well in the rain but must be properly dried afterwards (worn til dry, like a good pair of cowboy boots) or it will shrink and lose its shape. They make covers for your hat out of plastic with an elastic edge that loops over the brim. We call em hat condoms.

Straw is to be worn between Memorial day and Labor day (kind of like white shoes and belts). Felt is for winter or formal settings (like weddin's).

To take it one step further 5x's = one star. I have a 4 star silver belly (light gray felt). Gift from ex. Way too expensive to wear when sweat is remotely possible.

A hat must never be set down on the brim, only on the crown. The brim will get out of shape and the "luck" will spill out.

Benning Boy 12-30-2008 06:06 PM

So for the price of one felt hat, I can get 4 straw hats, 4 Cobra arms derringers, and basically have a posse. For the price of one hat.

I'm rethinking this already.:eek:

Dillinger 12-30-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 58319)

To take it one step further 5x's = one star. I have a 4 star silver belly (light gray felt). Gift from ex. Way too expensive to wear when sweat is remotely possible.

A hat must never be set down on the brim, only on the crown. The brim will get out of shape and the "luck" will spill out.

Crap. I forgot that part. 5x = 1star. You need a slide rule and an abacus to keep up with all that criteria. :rolleyes::D

So, when you take the hat off, you touch only the brim, but then turn it upside down on the crown to place it on the table? Or you place it on the table like you wear it on your head? I am confused on that part and was something that I had not heard before...

Thanks Robo...