Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   That has got to hurt. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/has-got-hurt-44829/)

Shihan 07-07-2011 12:16 AM

That has got to hurt.

Explicit language is heard. Understandable in the situation. Lucky Dude.

jjfuller1 07-07-2011 12:22 AM

that was awesome. lol

canebrake 07-07-2011 12:22 AM

That's going to leave a mark,

Just goes to show you what happens when you mix 1911s with glocks!

Gatekeeper 07-07-2011 12:24 AM

Saw this before.
Poor trigger discipline with any firearm is bad medicine.
Lucky for him it was only a flesh wound:eek:

jca1 07-07-2011 12:45 AM

The video is a decent training video which I believe validates these statements:

Don't train with different firearm platforms (Train with one gun and learn it well) edit: Don't train with multiple carry platforms. In a true defensive situation instinct and training will most likely take over. learning and training with one platform will make this much easier. I shoot multiple platforms at the range but I only "train" with my carry platform (revolver).

Practice proper trigger discipline (don't finger the trigger while drawing)

Practice proper safety control, and don't use a carry method that interferes in any way with a safe draw.

In all honesty I don't even see the need for practicing a quick draw. Learn to draw your weapon the way you carry it, smoothly and quickly but not "fast", with proper trigger discipline and safety control if applicable.

Guns aren't toys or objects one should use for "watch this" or "look what I can do".

Firearms4ever 07-07-2011 12:52 AM

I saw this before as well, and I agree that proper discipline is key. Also there was no need for him to draw the firearm as quickly as he did, because unless you're very very experienced and even then, it is still dangerous.

JonM 07-07-2011 12:56 AM

ill second the keep your booger picker off the trigger sentiment. im also not and have never been a fan of retention holsters for that very reason. if that can happen in a stress free environment what you gonna do when you 20 million cc's of adrenaline pumping??

if you need retention get a holster with a flap.

this is the one i use for hunting and GP:

Bianchi UM84I Universal Military Holster

http://www.copquest.com/14-5000.jpg

dnthmn2004 07-07-2011 12:57 AM

Good lesson on trigger control :p.

At least hes bold enough to share his mistake with the world.

DrGonzo11 07-07-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jca1 (Post 535950)
The video is a decent training video which I believe validates these statements:

Don't train with different firearm platforms (Train with one gun and learn it well)

Practice proper trigger discipline (don't finger the trigger while drawing)

Practice proper safety control, and don't use a carry method that interferes in any way with a safe draw.

In all honesty I don't even see the need for practicing a quick draw. Learn to draw your weapon the way you carry it, smoothly and quickly but not "fast", with proper trigger discipline and safety control if applicable.

Guns aren't toys or objects one should use for "watch this" or "look what I can do".

I couldn't agree more!! I shoot two handguns, a 1911 and a Styer M9-a1. The 1911 only gets drawn from either my leg mount serpa or my waist mounted serpa. the only time I practice draws with the Styer is from the crossdraw holster on my tactical vest and only intend on using it as backup anyway.

One of my close friends is a Pistol junkie and thinks he needs every applicable holster possible. Every time we shoot together I fear that exact situation playing itself out, and I started carrying a trauma kit with quik-clot just in case.

Unfortunately the law of averages comes in to play here, the more you are involved in an activity the more likely an injury can occur. The same is true with firearms, the more comfortable you are with shooting the more prone you become to a lapse in judgement.

Hairtrigger 07-07-2011 01:09 AM

Yep... keep your trigger finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the barrel is pointed at the target....
Darwin really had something :)