Has anything like this happened to you? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Has anything like this happened to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 01:26 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
We pay them nothing and give them lots of authority with a gun to back it up. That is why many of them (like this one) are there.
Bullsh!t.........

Quote:
A cadet in the NYS Trooper Academy makes over $51,000 while he's in the academy. Upon graduation his salary increases to $57,000. After one year it's $61,000 with more paid vacation, personal time, and sick leave than most fortune 500 companies offer.
As I said earlier, part of the reason you're seeing this new crop of a$$holes is because of the financial attraction as well as the "power" thing. Every applicant should be vetted thoroughly for their reason for wanting to become a LEO, the priority being to eliminate the turds with the "chips on their shoulders". This same attitude is even more prevalent in the Military Police, who then go on to become LEO's. At Parris Is. last year I witnessed a USMC MP screaming at an elderly driver, with his family in the car, for getting confused by this a$$holes hand signals at a crosswalk where the MP was directing traffic. Everyone within a 50' radius turned around to see what was going on. He used profanity and was yelling at the top of his lungs in an effort to demean the old man the way a DI would a new recruit. It was graduation day and there were thousands of people from many states who drove hundreds of miles to see their kids and grandkids graduate. I walked up to him and wrote down his name and rank, and I reported the son-of-a-bitch.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-19-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #52

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
Bullsh!t.........

You seem to have more information than I do on police pay, so I would be interested to know the rough requirements to become a NYS trooper. Could someone with no law enforcement experience have a prayer at this job?

My guess is that this is like saying a pilot for United earns 51,000 minumum. What that doesn't tell you is that they start at a commuter airline pulling in $16,000 to build experience and hope for a real job. I am doubtfull that any state trooper would behave like this. My guess is that we are talking about some local yokal city or county cop with a chip on his shoulder.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM   #53

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
You seem to have more information than I do on police pay, so I would be interested to know the rough requirements to become a NYS trooper. Could someone with no law enforcement experience have a prayer at this job?

My guess is that this is like saying a pilot for United earns 51,000 minumum. What that doesn't tell you is that they start at a commuter airline pulling in $16,000 to build experience and hope for a real job. I am doubtfull that any state trooper would behave like this. My guess is that we are talking about some local yokal city or county cop with a chip on his shoulder.
Your guess would be wrong. An airline pilot is a much more highly trained position than a State Trooper. The Pilot is entrusted with hundreds of lives every single day. His required skill level far surpasses any LE position, and more often than not requires a degree in either engineering or psychology. The ones you speak of are the ones that do not have the educational qualifications or any military aviation experience. They are the ones that can "earn" their wings through thousands of hours of training on single engine or turbo-prop commercial planes.
When the NYSP test is held, thousands of applicants apply and very few are selected. You can log onto the NYS website and see for yourself what the requirements are - they're not difficult! Even the PT test is not difficult for someone who is in decent shape. At 53 I can do more than the reqquired pushups & chinups. I can't run worth a crap, so I wouldn't pass without training, but it's definately not anywhere near as tough as boot camp in any service. The example comprehensive test online is a joke. They describe a crime scene and then test you on what you read and remembered. I imagine the 6 month academy is a bit challenging, but judging from the Troopers I have seen, they now concentrate mostly on brawn instead of brains. I used to have a lot of respect for the NYS Troopers until about 10 yrs. ago when they started acting worse than the local cops in terms of harrassment. I lived in a town that was used as a training ground for recent graduates, and their tactics were more often than not borderline civil rights abuses. 10+ years ago it was my misfortune to be stopped for "no seatbelt" and then harrassed, frisked, and searched on the side of a state highway. The driver was the instructor and the passenger was the trainee - they detained me for 45 minutes and a Sherrif's deputy actually pulled over to see if I was being unnecessarily harrassed. The trouble started when one of them noticed the handle of my knife sticking out from under the front seat. I volunteered it when they asked if they could see it - next thing I know, the a$$holes have my knife on the hood of their car with a book as big as a bible, looking from the book to my knife and flipping pages for 10 minutes. They came back and told me the knife was illegal because it had a blade longer than 4" and was serrated on the back edge. It was a stupid survival knife with a compass on the handle and fish-hooks, monofilament line, etc. inside the handle.A $4.95 mail order POS. It was under my seat because I found I could use it to adjust the clutch cable in a pinch. They used that as a basis to search my car. When they found nothing, the bastards actually removed my ignition key from my ring before they gave me my keys back and threw it out of the window of their cruiser 100' up the road. The Sheriff's Deputy actually chased them down to ask them where it was after he drove by again and noticed me walking up and down the road looking for it. They told him to tell me to check the trunk - I found it more than 100' up the highway. The Deputy was a nice guy and offered to give me a ride or call someone for me - the Troopers - they were complete A$$HOLES! I was two hours late to my best friends bachelor party so I couldn't take the time to drive to the barracks and file a complaint. They used to pull this kind of sh!t all the time and do it even more now that Hillary gave them all humongous salary increases. They were known to use night vision goggles and binoculars to get license plate and vehicle descriptions from cars parked in bar parking lots -so they could make successful DWAI stops later on. Real professionals!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-20-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #54
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Not to jab you personally & i know this was directed to the OP, buuuuut don't you think events like this unhappy (maybe misunderstand) encounter could make people less likely to call the police when the police could be of assistance like a stolen bike or lawn mower, a minor auto break-in, suspected prowler (serial rapist scouting locations perhaps), or harassing little gangbangers hanging about the family store? I think it could. That is why i still think it would be wise for him to call the officer's supervisor for clarification of what a traffic stop is supposed to be like for a card-carrying CCW with a legally-authorized firearm legally on board. If the officer was out of line with that department's policies, he will get a heads-up or something. If the officer was Dudley, then the supervisor (presumably with the people skills comensurate to his rank) might explain why the officer took the actions he took; this could salve some hurt feelings.

At the end of the day, the officer is employed by an agency financed in part by the OP; if the OP doesn't like how the officer does his job, he shouldn't hesitate to let it be known to the appropriate people. If those appropriate people are unresponsive, then the OP can surmise that he needs to look for another place to dwell with a different agency to contribute his taxes to or some replacements for the unresponsive appropriate and presumably elected people. It is simple democracy in action, IMO. (hopefully, this same process will rid of us Obama in a couple of years)
A truly good point and well expressed. By all means if you feel truly offended then report it. I gues what I was trying to express is if it's minor just let it go and what what I may of over looked while it may seem minor to me it may not of been to the OP. I have been on both sides of a traffic stop so my prospective may be different.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #55

Default My Experience

On two different occasions I have had to reach for/pull my 1911. Both times
I told the responding officer that I had a CCW an was carrying. I offered to show them my permit and both said they didn't need to see it. This was in Chesterfield Co., Va. where I live. Only other time was a stop for going 60 in a 45. The LEO asked if I was carrying and I said yes, he asked where is it and I pulled back my shirt to show him. HE asked me to make safe and let him have the gun. I did and he starts looking it over and asking questions about the pistol. I invite him out to my home to shoot it sometime and he says OK,
thanks hands the 1911 back "have a nice day and slow down" Guess I've just been lucky but that is the way a LEO should treat a CCW holder. The intelligent LEOs know that an armed citizen is more likely to save their bacon than the other way around.