Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Has anything like this happened to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #41
Deader Bears=Better Bears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
People are quick to point out when a LEO wasn't as nice as they should be, call them names and consider them in a negitive way. UNTILL that one time you need help, the first call will be to 911 and those LEO's will respond to protect you and yours with out knowing what they are getting into.
Not to jab you personally & i know this was directed to the OP, buuuuut don't you think events like this unhappy (maybe misunderstand) encounter could make people less likely to call the police when the police could be of assistance like a stolen bike or lawn mower, a minor auto break-in, suspected prowler (serial rapist scouting locations perhaps), or harassing little gangbangers hanging about the family store? I think it could. That is why i still think it would be wise for him to call the officer's supervisor for clarification of what a traffic stop is supposed to be like for a card-carrying CCW with a legally-authorized firearm legally on board. If the officer was out of line with that department's policies, he will get a heads-up or something. If the officer was Dudley, then the supervisor (presumably with the people skills comensurate to his rank) might explain why the officer took the actions he took; this could salve some hurt feelings.

At the end of the day, the officer is employed by an agency financed in part by the OP; if the OP doesn't like how the officer does his job, he shouldn't hesitate to let it be known to the appropriate people. If those appropriate people are unresponsive, then the OP can surmise that he needs to look for another place to dwell with a different agency to contribute his taxes to or some replacements for the unresponsive appropriate and presumably elected people. It is simple democracy in action, IMO. (hopefully, this same process will rid of us Obama in a couple of years)

Old 06-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This LEO obviously had an opinion of CCW. He doesn't think "civilians" should have loaded guns. Bad attitude on his part. His job is to enforce the law. In this case, the law gives the OP the right to carry loaded weapons. The state thinks we should all trust a CCW in most circumstances with a loaded gun. This LEO should get his head around that idea.

Call the supervisor and see how they respond and let us know.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #43

Just today. Not as bad as yours, though...

Got pulled over for speeding, handed the officer my CCW. He didn't have to ask if I had any firearms in the vehicle, I let him know as soon as he came up, as respectfully as possible. He had me get out of my car, and confiscated my firearm. He then asked if I had any other weapons in the vehicle or on my person, I said no.

So he made me turn around, with my hands behind my head so he could frisk me...thoroughly. Questioned me about where I'd just been, where I was headed, where I was before then and where I was going after that. Finally let me sit back in my car, and eventually brought my gun back to me, unloaded, with the bullets separated in a little baggy.

He then warned me, very seriously, that I not reload my gun until I had left.

I'm just glad I realized before I drove off that he'd returned everything...except my CCW! I sat in my car, without pulling off, until he finally came up to ask why I wasn't pulling away, so I could get my license back...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #44

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I don't understand these LEO opinions. If you have a CCW license and you hand it over right away and tell the officer "I have a gun" why should he assume that makes you dangerous. What makes it dangerous is when you don't say you have a gun but have one.

How is where have you just been relevant to the situation at hand. Now if they are looking for a suspect and pulled you over sure, but if your pulled over for speeding or some other traffic violation short of DUI or wreckless driving/road rage (mental state might be a factor) then you should be treated just as any other speeder, which I'm sure they don't ask where you were 2 stops ago.

I bet these same officers would never treat an off-duty LEO this way or if they pulled over an armored vehicle they wouldn't treat the armed driver/passenger like that. It's only because your not part of the club that you have to undergo this form of harassment, albeit mild harassment.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed. It irks me that he warned you sternly not to reload. That just goes to show that he does not think you should be allowed to have a loaded weapon. That is not about his safety. Neither is the grilling about where you have been all day.

I would say the way to handle it is not talk to the LEO except to product lisence and registration. None of his business where you have been.

If you have not seen this, you should.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #46
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
I would say the way to handle it is not talk to the LEO except to product lisence and registration. None of his business where you have been.
I don't disagree with the desire to stymie some BS questions by officer jackboots, but doing that ^^^ is going to guarantee that the speeding ticket will be all it can be. Why not just explain that you are on your way home from an anal waxing & that your drooling brokeback buddy is the reason for your haste. Licking the license might be a bit over the top, though.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #47

I would file a complaint with his supervisor. Did he scratch the hood of your truck? It sounds way over what was needed for the situation.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #48

IMO; it seems how one gets treated is how the officer is feeling at that time.
I've read the experiences that have chimed in and see it can go either way.
Some have gotten jacked up like me and others were treated properly.
I know a LEO's job is difficult and in most cases they don't know what to expect. But when an officer pulls someone over, I'm sure they run that tag # so they have an idea of who it could be. Once the officer has an idea of who it could be they also know if that person has any outstanding warrants against them or if they are clear. Then once the officer has your DL he's able to see that he has the vehicle's owner who was just checked out by his computer in the cruiser. If the driver/owner of the vehicle is the same person and is a law abiding citizen...then why go overboard with this person?
I would think that the officer would be relieved that he has a law abiding citizen with a minor traffic infraction problem rather than some gangster.

My brother-in-law asked me why did you show your permit?
My response was "I rather the cop know I have a firearm with me than to be surprised by it." His response, "Well, you see where it got you."

It's not my intent for this topic to be a whining season or a LEO bashing season. I'm just relaying my experiences from the other day.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:10 AM   #49

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegatoRedrivers View Post
Just today. Not as bad as yours, though...

Got pulled over for speeding, handed the officer my CCW. He didn't have to ask if I had any firearms in the vehicle, I let him know as soon as he came up, as respectfully as possible. He had me get out of my car, and confiscated my firearm. He then asked if I had any other weapons in the vehicle or on my person, I said no.

So he made me turn around, with my hands behind my head so he could frisk me...thoroughly. Questioned me about where I'd just been, where I was headed, where I was before then and where I was going after that. Finally let me sit back in my car, and eventually brought my gun back to me, unloaded, with the bullets separated in a little baggy.

He then warned me, very seriously, that I not reload my gun until I had left.

I'm just glad I realized before I drove off that he'd returned everything...except my CCW! I sat in my car, without pulling off, until he finally came up to ask why I wasn't pulling away, so I could get my license back...

I don't know how you kept your cool, but kudo's to you for it.

I would file a complaint about this officer asap!!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I don't know how you kept your cool, but kudo's to you for it.

I would file a complaint about this officer asap!!
I'm not uber worried about it...Like I said in a previous post somewhere, "Some cops are just dicks, but some people are just dicks." There's not really much to do about it; and even if this one wasn't exactly polite, I'd rather be known to local LE as a level headed individual who won't give 'em much trouble than the difficult a$$hole that carries a gun.

I even tried not to chuckle at him for forgetting to return all my effects (I.E. my permit) At least I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he just set it down and forgot.

Now, if I had enough reason to believe he was deliberately trying to keep from returning it, that's when I'd be pi$$ed.