Has anything like this happened to you? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Has anything like this happened to you?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #31
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
cpttango30,
thank you for changing your demeanor.
I want to clear up some things.
1st I don't start off saying I'm a "honorably discharged vet".
I mention that at the end of my OP in passing, that's it. I never mentioned it to the cop. Something like that has no bearing on the situation.
2nd I may have been nervous, but not to the extent of being some
shaking, wimpering nut case. I'm sure he didn't even pick up on my condition
even after placing his hand on his gun. What if some kids would have drove by and threw some firecrackers out the window of their vehicle, I wouldn't want to think of what could have happened to me. He never told me why he was pulling me over. Maybe they were looking for a criminal that fit my vehicle's description, I don't know.
3rd Where in my OP do I say I got mad about the cop wanting to secure my weapons? I was put off by the cops demeanor. You were'nt there. His whole attitude changed once he knew I was carrying. My OP is a shortened version of what happened- to the point. I didn't mention how the cop said I had "too much fire power for a causal trip through town", etc.

I can see your point.
But once the cop had checked me out, he could have told me why I'm signing the ticket, also after handing back my handguns & ammo he could have had the courtesy to wish me a good day, be safe, something. Instead of walking away saying nothing.

I will call his department tomorrow, not to complain, but to inform them that
when my firearms were cleared & returned to me that 1 .40 cal round was missing. Dang, I don't know, maybe it dropped through my fingers and onto the roadside dirt or it's in my truck under the seat,etc. But I will call his department tomorrow about the missing round and I'll double check my truck.
Under,
To have Tango take something in stide means you are bitching about nothing. The Leo did his job and how you acted decided how the LEO responded. I'd skip that call "maybe it dropped through my fingers to the roadside, or in my truck under the seat". You should let when to let go.

Getting pissed because he didn't tell you to have a good day I expect is in order with the attidue exchanged. Report him if you want but I expect there will be little response, clearly you expected the LEO to treat you far better and from what I read he treated you in line with the job he does. Suck it up and learn from the expereince.
__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jng2985's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 150
Default

I see the point of the LEO to act that way, but why act that way when someone informs you there is firearms in the car? Its the people who try to hide things that are the most dangerous. In every experience I've had with getting pulled over, it goes either way. I have been let go when i should of had a very expensive ticket and other times gotten outrageous tickets, when I was 110% i wouldn't.

At least you didn't get tazed like the grannny..

__________________
jng2985 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WAREAGLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 111
Default

Cops for some reason like to feel that they are the only ones capable of responsibly carrying a firearm, even though they cant even really pull that off... and when they run into a citizen carrying legally, well they dont exactly care that you have a STATE ISSUED LICENSE granting you permission, they assume you're a thug of some kind.


Remember the good ole days when the police served the people and not the other way around?

__________________

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

"Rosie O'Donnell blames guns for murders, but nobody blames spoons and forks for Rosie O'Donnell"

WAREAGLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RL357Mag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Albany,New York
Posts: 3,251
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAREAGLE View Post
Cops for some reason like to feel that they are the only ones capable of responsibly carrying a firearm, even though they cant even really pull that off... and when they run into a citizen carrying legally, well they dont exactly care that you have a STATE ISSUED LICENSE granting you permission, they assume you're a thug of some kind.


Remember the good ole days when the police served the people and not the other way around?
+1000 It's got nothing to do with "fear" and everything to do with "power". At the point the OP's gun was "secured" he posed no threat, yet the BS was just beginning. The attitude displayed by this and many cops is why people have so little respect for cops today. As far as all the a$$-kissing brown-nosers who see nothing wrong with cops being abnoxious a$$es, at some point their mis-guided opinions will change because sooner or later they or their family members will be disrespected, hassled, or abused, since this kind of crap is spreading in proportrion to the number of sheep who do nothing to curtail it. The recent episode of the Oklahoma State Tropper pulling-over and choking the ambulance driver, with a patient in the back, is a perfect example of how out-of-control the situation is! Being pro-LEO is good, but giving "blanket amnesty" to every thug on a power trip is a sign of narrow-mindedness. Cops work off your dime - not the other way around. There was a time when "custome relations" were an important part of police training - but that went away with the "beat cop" and the tremendous increase in salary and bennies. A cadet in the NYS Trooper Academy makes over $51,000 while he's in the academy. Upon graduation his salary increases to $57,000. After one year it's $61,000 with more paid vacation, personal time, and sick leave than most fortune 500 companies offer. Gone are the days when people desired a career in LE because of some moral belief.
Too many cops treat traffic infractions as a "personal affront", rather than with "detached" interest. Anyone with enough sense to fill a thimble knows that shootings at routine traffic stops don't involve CCW holders who volunteer their permits and firearms. Additionally, try "disrespecting" a cop and see what happens - see if the judge excuses YOUR behavior because you are having a bad day! "Citizens" with CCW permits should be viewed as a cops best friend, not his worst enemy.
__________________
Guns Have Only Two Enemies-Rust and Politicians
"The United States Constitution (c) 1791 - All Rights Reserved"
If Guns Kill, Do Pencils Mis-spell Words?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-16-2009 at 03:32 PM.
RL357Mag is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WAREAGLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 111
Default

Also, thinking more on the subject... its not proper for me, @ 6'1'' and a buck eighty, with no criminal record, to be scared to death of police officers... I wont even approach one to ask directions or another simple question if hes standing on the sidewalk twiddling his thumbs. the few times Ive tried, I just get a stare and then some smart ass answer... In his head it goes something like this (in my opinion)-'Yeah, here comes a normal looking, conservatively dressed white guy with no tattoos who started the conversation with, "excuse me sir"... he could be an escaped con. Better be a dick'

I cant even imagine what it would be like to be a minority etc etc

Im being a bit overboard as I have run into some truly exceptional LEOs, who were both kind and courteous. Its just the bad ones on a power trip that make me worried about them as a whole.

__________________

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

"Rosie O'Donnell blames guns for murders, but nobody blames spoons and forks for Rosie O'Donnell"

WAREAGLE is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Under,
To have Tango take something in stide means you are bitching about nothing. The Leo did his job and how you acted decided how the LEO responded. I'd skip that call "maybe it dropped through my fingers to the roadside, or in my truck under the seat". You should let when to let go.

Getting pissed because he didn't tell you to have a good day I expect is in order with the attidue exchanged. Report him if you want but I expect there will be little response, clearly you expected the LEO to treat you far better and from what I read he treated you in line with the job he does. Suck it up and learn from the expereince.
I didn't make any false moves or give any reason for the cop to over-react, like he did. Since you're so quick to pass judgement...tell me what I did?
Where do I get pissed because he didn't tell me to have a "good day"?
You're giving me an attitude which I don't have.

I can understand your advise about; don't bother with the phone call.
Even if the cop found the lose round in his cruiser he won't admit to it;
"Oh, glad you called, yeah I found that .40 cal bullet, oops my bad."
I'm sure if it has been found by him or another it was taken care of and not given a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
"maybe it dropped through my fingers to the roadside, or in my truck under the seat".
Don't take my words out of context in which they are intended...
I was being optimistic. I was giving the benefit of the doubt.
Think about it...if someone is giving you 16 lose rounds (in my case 15)
how are you going to hold your hands? cupped. I had both hands cupped together. The ammo went from my hands to the cup holder in my center console. I didn't drop any.

You weren't there, but so quick to give the cop a pass. You know nothing about me or the town I live in.
I can see how this topic seems like I'm "bitching", but I'm only relaying an experience. You can assume, have opinions, but I was there.

In the future I'll make sure I choose my words more carefully so that I don't open myself to pessimistic minded members of this board that like to twist them and add more to the situation than really happened.
__________________
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:43 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

It effectively comes down to this:

The requirement to become LEO has dropped to the point of ridiculousness that many now allowed to become LEO's should never have the position of power. The demand for LEO's has become a situation that in many areas it really puts the public in harm's way. I know that if you come into contact with an older and experienced LEO, you will know that you are in the presience of a professonal. The younger guys, it is like the lottery, some that should be and some that would not be in the old days.

I make a point to treat with respect until it is obvious that the LEO should have never been given a gun and a badge. Then, I just try to roll with it...you will never be in the right with some of the power hungry ubercops. It sucks, but it is reality. Deal with it and adapt...

__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 AM   #38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lowrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Springfield,MO
Posts: 171
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

The officer was rude and I don't agree with his actions. But that is not unusual. You did the right thing and obeyed his commands. Bottom line is, at the time of the stop, he is in control and has complete power over you. You can always react later, but at the time of a traffic stop, you are at the mercy of every whim of the LEO. We pay them nothing and give them lots of authority with a gun to back it up. That is why many of them (like this one) are there.

__________________
Lowrider is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mpd8488's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 245
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Even if the officer was in the right legally that still does not excuse his demeanor. Cops have very stressful jobs, but they should be a cut above and have no problem handling it. Poor community relations hinders police departments and ultimately keeps us less safe. I'm not just talking about youthful "**** the police" attitudes either. If a PD has a reputation for profiling, acting like thugs, or even being disrespectful or working as nothing more than revenue generators for the municipality, they have a huge obstacle to overcome in their community.

The fact of the matter is that police officers are the government's hired guns. They have enormous sway over us. We all get that same sinking feeling in our stomachs when they turn on their lights behind us, even when we aren't doing anything wrong. We as citizens have a responsibility to watch over them. This doesn't mean suing every officer for every slight, but we do have a responsibility to communicate with our local PDs, not to get officerrs in trouble, but to show the department that as an integral part of our community it should be among their highest priorities to ensure that we have positive experiences in our dealing with police officers. Allowing ourselves to be walked all over under the guise that they have such stressful jobs is bull**** in a supposedly free society. Officers encounter danger everyday and there is no reason to make excuses for those few who can't handle themselves when the majority walk into dangerous situations attitude every day without the attitude.

__________________
mpd8488 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:58 AM   #40
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
I didn't make any false moves or give any reason for the cop to over-react, like he did. Since you're so quick to pass judgement...tell me what I did?
Where do I get pissed because he didn't tell me to have a "good day"?
You're giving me an attitude which I don't have.

I can understand your advise about; don't bother with the phone call.
Even if the cop found the lose round in his cruiser he won't admit to it;
"Oh, glad you called, yeah I found that .40 cal bullet, oops my bad."
I'm sure if it has been found by him or another it was taken care of and not given a second thought.


Don't take my words out of context in which they are intended...
I was being optimistic. I was giving the benefit of the doubt.
Think about it...if someone is giving you 16 lose rounds (in my case 15)
how are you going to hold your hands? cupped. I had both hands cupped together. The ammo went from my hands to the cup holder in my center console. I didn't drop any.

You weren't there, but so quick to give the cop a pass. You know nothing about me or the town I live in.
I can see how this topic seems like I'm "bitching", but I'm only relaying an experience. You can assume, have opinions, but I was there.

In the future I'll make sure I choose my words more carefully so that I don't open myself to pessimistic minded members of this board that like to twist them and add more to the situation than really happened.
Under, I never said you did something wrong. I suggested you view it from the LEO's prospective. It's a difficult job and while you feel wronged I don't see where the LEO over stepped. I am quick to give the LEO a pass simply because he did what he felt was need to keep himself and you safe. Your right I wasn't there and I have your side of the story, there is another side that isn't here to respond and some where in the middle is the actual event. People are quick to point out when a LEO wasn't as nice as they should be, call them names and consider them in a negitive way. UNTILL that one time you need help, the first call will be to 911 and those LEO's will respond to protect you and yours with out knowing what they are getting into.

I didn't intend to offend you Under, I understand it wasn't a good expereince. All the same you came out of it alright less maybee one 40 S&W round.

Have a nice day
__________________

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
OMG IT happened to me today cpttango30 The Club House 9 02-05-2009 03:30 AM
What happened to? Ruger Redhawk General Handgun Discussion 4 05-19-2008 02:00 PM
What happened to the threads? bkt The Club House 6 04-19-2008 07:09 AM