Has anything like this happened to you? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Has anything like this happened to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioroftheland View Post
i would charge the department for the lost round. ammo cost to much for some cop not giving all of it back.
It's my word against his. Just a careless mistake he made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
That's probably why the cop kept it.
I'm sure the cop didn't need an extra round, even for his own gun.
It's was probably a careless mistake. What gets me, is why he removed the ammo in the first place?

Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
He put his hand on his gun because you have guns out of sight within your reach. I bet this is SOP for any stop involving firearms.
All within reason in my book. He is making sure you are telling the truth and he is securing the firearms. He didn't throw them on the ground or damage them in any way. Ok he moved you away from the guns to make them less accessible to you. Again all acceptable in my book of keeping everyone safe.
What if for some odd reason that gun was just used in a crime? If he is handling it like a $3 hooker he could destroy prints so carrying it like you say is a good thing to do. Ok you have a break light out and need to get it fixed. I am sure the ticket cost you the price of a bulb. OHHHHH better than a trip downtown is it not. He is paid to investigate crime is he not is not part of the job asking questions? Ok again I see nothing that jumps out at me for treating you badly.
This is the only thing I am iffy on. I am not sure why he would remove all the ammo from the guns and mag when all he needed to do was drop the mag and un-chamber the one round from each. I would call the station and say that you were stopped by officer so and so and he may have a spare round of ammunition somewhere in his car. This is the only thing I would call about only for my and his safety.
How did he go over board. He didn't know you from Adam who just robbed a 7-11 and shot his girlfriend with a 9mm and a 40. It is being cautious and making it home to see your wife and kids at the end of the day. I have never had this happen well I did and it was six cops with guns drawn throwing me on the ground and handcuffing me. because I had an old Marlin lever gun in my gun rack.
So he made a mistake and lost one round. If you want I will send you one so you will stop whining about it. PM me your address. I am sure I got some 40 around here in the couch or under my front seat. Hell I will buy you a whole box of WWB
You told him you had firearms in the car how the hell is he supposed to act? Oh man hey let me see them what do ya got man. Oh them 380 is for girls and sissies. He didn't know that you were honorable discharged from the army or form the butt pumping academy.

I hope Robo comes along and clears things up.
Is all this necessary? Really.
Seems you're doing more crying than me. cpttango30, your attitude is as unprofessional as the cop's was. I mention a round is missing and I'm crying? It shows the carelessness of this cop and his unprofessionalism. I could care less about one round. Get Real. I have thousands.
Yeah, why did he remove all the rounds instead of just the mag and clear the chamber? unprofessional? you decide. Your personal attacks on me show your immaturity. Grow Up.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Ya know, for the safety of that officer & others using that vehicle, you should really call in about that missing round. Just think how bad you would feel if some big officer was using the car, let the seat all the way back, & got one in the butt from the round being trapped in the seat slider rail. OK, now imagine officer butt-shot doesn't know anything about the other officer's stop on you & then imagine the investigating officer finds a casing with your fingerprint on it behind that seat. Amazingly farfetched, but that would be a funny intro if you call in about the stop.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I'm really not surprised he unloaded the gun! I would think of it from their point of view. With all the nut jobs out there today you can't be too cautious. If you were some nut job that was easily set off and he hands you back a firearm and a loaded clip how long would it take you to chamber a round and unload on him as he's walking back to his car vs hand you you're firearm and a handful of ammo, he would be back to his car before you got it loaded and would at least have a chance to see it coming.
I can see why you're frustrated but think of it as you were him

Old 06-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
State laws vary.

In my state,it is best to comply, but not consent.

This is one of those officer's judgement scenarios. I've spoken to people who have gone through a traffic stop, handed over a permit, offered to surrender the weapon during the stop, and were told to keep it holstered. Other times, it went the way yours did.

We have LEOs here who may better answer this, but sounds to me like he went a tad overboard.

Just a tad??
Sounds more like Barney Fife!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #26
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Over the years when I have been pulled over I have always handed my CPL over with the rest of the information requested. As stated as soon as the LEO runs your drivers license it will show your premit/license to carry. Sometimes the officer said nothing about it, sometimes I was asked if I was carring at that time and where was the firearm, a few times I was asked what I carring and only once was I asked to give the officer my firearm. That one time he cleared the firearm and set it on the roof of my truck while he ran my informtion. In every case I think it was wise to inform the LEO up front that I was armed and licensed to be and also believe it got me out of the ticket.

You have to see it from the other side of the window, the LEO has to be ready for the worst on every stop so put them at ease from the start. The LEO may of been overly protective but understand on a traffic stop much depends on the vibe the LEO has. In sort no harm done, a round misplaced I expect if you contacted the LEO he will return it. It's a tough job and I'd give him slack in keeping things safe for him and you.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It used to be that you were innocent until proven guilty in this country. For a cop to ask a CCW holder who VOLUNTEERED his permit "why do you have boxes of ammo and spare magazines?" and then to put him through all the BS that the OP went through is unconscienable. Any suspicion or paranoia on the part of the cop should be kept in the back of his mind, not oozing from every pore. CCW holders where I live undergo FBI checks and safety courses besides having to jump through hurdles and pay their fees for the "privilege" of carrying a weapon. They should be treated with the same level of respect by cops that cops demand of them. Period!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

I am not the one on here complaining that I got a ticket and I notified the officer that you had firearms in the car or truck then you get mad when he wants to secure them. Maybe you have never seen the news? Officers are killed every day in routine traffic stops.

I have been in your position. I was pulled over for a nonworking lic plate light and I had 6 cops surround me and draw weapons on me and put me on the ground and handcuff me infront of my appartment all because I had a single old nonworking lever gun in my gun rack.

Now that was unprofessional.

Maybe he didn't need to do some of the things he did. But in my view overall I think he handled it well. I don't think he needed to completely unload the firearms. Did he need to remove the firearms from you. No but you need to also look at things from his point as well. You have a nervous guy with hand guns and ammo. I would be on the safe side as well and remove them. Did he need to pat you down I doubt it but, again you said yourself you were nervous and a good officer picks up on this.

You start out by saying your an honorably discharged vet well good for you. How is he going to know that? The only thing he knows is that you have or have not been pulled over.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #29

cpttango30,
thank you for changing your demeanor.
I want to clear up some things.
1st I don't start off saying I'm a "honorably discharged vet".
I mention that at the end of my OP in passing, that's it. I never mentioned it to the cop. Something like that has no bearing on the situation.
2nd I may have been nervous, but not to the extent of being some
shaking, wimpering nut case. I'm sure he didn't even pick up on my condition
even after placing his hand on his gun. What if some kids would have drove by and threw some firecrackers out the window of their vehicle, I wouldn't want to think of what could have happened to me. He never told me why he was pulling me over. Maybe they were looking for a criminal that fit my vehicle's description, I don't know.
3rd Where in my OP do I say I got mad about the cop wanting to secure my weapons? I was put off by the cops demeanor. You were'nt there. His whole attitude changed once he knew I was carrying. My OP is a shortened version of what happened- to the point. I didn't mention how the cop said I had "too much fire power for a causal trip through town", etc.

I can see your point.
But once the cop had checked me out, he could have told me why I'm signing the ticket, also after handing back my handguns & ammo he could have had the courtesy to wish me a good day, be safe, something. Instead of walking away saying nothing.

I will call his department tomorrow, not to complain, but to inform them that
when my firearms were cleared & returned to me that 1 .40 cal round was missing. Dang, I don't know, maybe it dropped through my fingers and onto the roadside dirt or it's in my truck under the seat,etc. But I will call his department tomorrow about the missing round and I'll double check my truck.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:44 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
It used to be that you were innocent until proven guilty in this country. For a cop to ask a CCW holder who VOLUNTEERED his permit "why do you have boxes of ammo and spare magazines?" and then to put him through all the BS that the OP went through is unconscienable. Any suspicion or paranoia on the part of the cop should be kept in the back of his mind, not oozing from every pore. CCW holders where I live undergo FBI checks and safety courses besides having to jump through hurdles and pay their fees for the "privilege" of carrying a weapon. They should be treated with the same level of respect by cops that cops demand of them. Period!
Well Put!!
That's how I feel.
I have heard of traffic stops with friends, relatives, etc, having firearms with them and officers handling it maturely & professionally. Even some of these people didn't have permits.