Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Has anything like this happened to you?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

Have encountered a license check or DUI check 4 times while carrying, My CCW license is next to my drivers license. "Evening, trooper- CCW holder." On all 4 occassions, reponse has been "Thanks- appreciate that." No "keep your hands on the trunk".

Figure I don't need to spike some young officer's blood pressure by the unexpected observation of a gun.

Was visiting the State Capitol Bldg w/ grand-urchin. As we started in the bldg, there is a metal detector. Ummm- "Officer- I'm carrying. Is that a problem? " " Got your license on you? Thanks, no problem, please walk around the metal detector, and enjoy your visit."

In the case of your boy in Florida, would ask for a quiet word with his shift supervisor. Sounds like he needs some experience and/or training.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
He asks for license,proof of insurance and registration. I get all the info he wants and also hand over my permit with them. He asks, " Do you have any weapons with you?" I say, "Yes". He asks, "Where are the weapons at?" I answer, "There's a .380 in my pocket and a .40 cal in the center console." I notice he puts his hand on his gun and tells me to get out of the truck.
He put his hand on his gun because you have guns out of sight within your reach. I bet this is SOP for any stop involving firearms.

Quote:
I'm already nervous because of getting pulled over and now the cop has his hand on his gun. He tells me to put my hands on the hood and spread my legs. I do. He pats me down, removes the .380 from my pocket, puts it on the hood of the truck. Then tells me to go to the back of the truck and place my hands on the tailgate. I do. He removes my .40 cal from the center console
All within reason in my book. He is making sure you are telling the truth and he is securing the firearms. He didn't throw them on the ground or damage them in any way. Ok he moved you away from the guns to make them less accessible to you. Again all acceptable in my book of keeping everyone safe.

Quote:
He asks, "Why do you have two boxes of ammo & extra mags with you?" Not being sarcastic in any way, I say, "You can never have enough ammo." He carries both my guns like they are smelly diapers with a disease, held with his thumb & pointer finger of each hand and goes to his cruiser, telling me to "stay put". I do. It was probably only 5 to 7 minutes, but of course it seemed longer. He returns then starts to give me the 3rd degree. "Where are you going?" "What are you doing?" "Why all the fire power?" I answer him, " Around town, running errands, and you never know what kind of situation you can get into. I rather have too much than not enough." He tells me to get back into my truck and wait for him to return. I do. Upon his return he hands me a ticket book and tells me to sign the ticket. I ask him, "What's the ticket for?" He replies, "You have a brake light out.
What if for some odd reason that gun was just used in a crime? If he is handling it like a $3 hooker he could destroy prints so carrying it like you say is a good thing to do. Ok you have a break light out and need to get it fixed. I am sure the ticket cost you the price of a bulb. OHHHHH better than a trip downtown is it not. He is paid to investigate crime is he not is not part of the job asking questions? Ok again I see nothing that jumps out at me for treating you badly.

Quote:
I sign the ticket and ask about my guns. As he hands me my copy he says, "I'm waiting for a reply from my supervisor". .... About 5 minutes pass (seemed like a lot more) he returns with my weapons and the ammo removed from the mags. He hands me the guns and ammo and walks off and gets in his cruiser. As I'm reloading my guns I notice there's only 9 .40 cal bullets. I checked the chamber; empty. I know I had 10 rounds in my .40 cal. I guess the cop has a live round rolling around in his cruiser somewhere.
This is the only thing I am iffy on. I am not sure why he would remove all the ammo from the guns and mag when all he needed to do was drop the mag and un-chamber the one round from each. I would call the station and say that you were stopped by officer so and so and he may have a spare round of ammunition somewhere in his car. This is the only thing I would call about only for my and his safety.

How did he go over board. He didn't know you from Adam who just robbed a 7-11 and shot his girlfriend with a 9mm and a 40. It is being cautious and making it home to see your wife and kids at the end of the day.

I have never had this happen well I did and it was six cops with guns drawn throwing me on the ground and handcuffing me. because I had an old Marlin lever gun in my gun rack.

So he made a mistake and lost one round. If you want I will send you one so you will stop whining about it. PM me your address. I am sure I got some 40 around here in the couch or under my front seat. Hell I will buy you a whole box of WWB

You told him you had firearms in the car how the hell is he supposed to act? Oh man hey let me see them what do ya got man. Oh them 380 is for girls and sissies. He didn't know that you were honorable discharged from the army or form the butt pumping academy.

I hope Robo comes along and clears things up.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2261 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

You never know what that officer had experienced in the previous week or so. I have attended specialized training that made me paranoid as hell for a couple of weeks until my brain processed the experience. Could have had a friend hurt or worse recently. Did it make sense to go through all that? Probably not. Was it legal (except for the keeping of the .40 round)? Yes. In Texas, You can get jacked up like that even whith a CHL. Normally the officer takes a different tack, except in Austin. They jack everybody up. Not enough commonsense to fill a thimble in that entire agency.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #14

I let Josh read this. Overly careful, a tad. Josh said a man who hands him his CCW is not the one he really worries about. It is after a stop, that he asks to search the car, when he smells weed, or the guy/gal is acting weird, and finds a firearm that freaks him. On a off note, he said why is it that he always finds a beat to hell, Bryco, Jennings, Hi-Point, never a Colt, Smith, or nice gun unless it is stolen.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM   #15

My Uncle just told me this story yesterday.

He was driving years back with two former marines one being Force Recon. They had gone out that night and got drunk and on their way home a police officer pulled them over. He walked up to the car and asked for License and Registration and Insurance, then if my uncle if he had been drinking my uncle said yes and handed him his license. He went to reach for his insurance in the glove compartment and his friend had his knee up against it. He said move your knee and his friend looked at him and said you don't want me too. My uncle laughed hit his knee and said move it ****head. as soon as he opened it a handgun fell out. The cop looks at my uncle throws his license and registration in his face said "Get the **** out of here ***holes" and then literally ran back to his cruiser and sped off. To this day they don't know why he ran like that they weren't sure if he got an emergency call or was scared. They didn't hear any calls come in over his radio.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

To the OP: Look at the bright side...at least you didn't get tazed...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

It does seem a bit much, but maybe the officer was a rookie. If i felt an officer was unproffesional or may have crossed a legal line or two, i would probably give his supervisor a call (a non-combative, non-threatening call) to explain that the officer's actions seemed inappropriate for the situation. Maybe, he just needs to go over the proper procedures with his supervisor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
To the OP: Look at the bright side...at least you didn't get tazed...
LOL! Truth in funny!

Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You never know what that officer had experienced in the previous week or so. I have attended specialized training that made me paranoid as hell for a couple of weeks until my brain processed the experience. Could have had a friend hurt or worse recently. Did it make sense to go through all that? Probably not. Was it legal (except for the keeping of the .40 round)? Yes. In Texas, You can get jacked up like that even whith a CHL. Normally the officer takes a different tack, except in Austin. They jack everybody up. Not enough commonsense to fill a thimble in that entire agency.
Texas CHL holder since 1998. I've had traffic stops go both ways. Even when I'm not armed (driving to Ft. Hood usually), I'll still give the officer my CHL because when he runs my DL, it's going to come back that I have one.

I've only been "jacked up" like you were once. When it was all said and done, I went on my way with only time lost.

There are liberal police officers just like there are liberal service members. They're in the minority, but they're still out there. You did the right thing... say your "yes sirs" and "no sirs" and when it's said and done, you're only out some time. (and maybe a lost round here or there...)

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #19

I honestly don't see the problem with this scenario. Just because someone has a registered firearm doesn't mean there is no chance they will shoot an officer. the cop was just exercising caution.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael a View Post
From a law enforcement officers stand point it seems the officer did go a little overboard with the attitude. Case in point we had a drivers license check point set up on memorial day weekend...
DL checkpoint?? Man, that has to be a 4th amendment nightmare.