Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Has anything like this happened to you? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/has-anything-like-happened-you-14792/)

UnderFire 06-15-2009 04:56 AM

Has anything like this happened to you?

I get pulled over. The cop walks up to my truck, I have both my hands on the steering wheel. He asks for license,proof of insurance and registration. I get all the info he wants and also hand over my permit with them. He asks, " Do you have any weapons with you?" I say, "Yes". He asks, "Where are the weapons at?" I answer, "There's a .380 in my pocket and a .40 cal in the center console." I notice he puts his hand on his gun and tells me to get out of the truck. I'm already nervous because of getting pulled over and now the cop has his hand on his gun. He tells me to put my hands on the hood and spread my legs. I do. He pats me down, removes the .380 from my pocket, puts it on the hood of the truck. Then tells me to go to the back of the truck and place my hands on the tailgate. I do. He removes my .40 cal from the center console. He asks, "Why do you have two boxes of ammo & extra mags with you?" Not being sarcastic in any way, I say, "You can never have enough ammo." He carries both my guns like they are smelly diapers with a disease, held with his thumb & pointer finger of each hand and goes to his cruiser, telling me to "stay put". I do. It was probably only 5 to 7 minutes, but of course it seemed longer. He returns then starts to give me the 3rd degree. "Where are you going?" "What are you doing?" "Why all the fire power?" I answer him, " Around town, running errands, and you never know what kind of situation you can get into. I rather have too much than not enough." He tells me to get back into my truck and wait for him to return. I do. Upon his return he hands me a ticket book and tells me to sign the ticket. I ask him, "What's the ticket for?" He replies, "You have a brake light out." :eek: I sign the ticket and ask about my guns. As he hands me my copy he says, "I'm waiting for a reply from my supervisor". :eek:.... About 5 minutes pass (seemed like a lot more) he returns with my weapons and the ammo removed from the mags. He hands me the guns and ammo and walks off and gets in his cruiser. As I'm reloading my guns I notice there's only 9 .40 cal bullets. I checked the chamber; empty. I know I had 10 rounds in my .40 cal. I guess the cop has a live round rolling around in his cruiser somewhere.

So here I am 44 yrs. old, no arrest record, honorable discharge from the military (twenty yrs. ago), being treated like a common criminal. I was so put off by this I had to post my experience here. Has this kind of thing ever happened to you? What do you think of this mess?

Benning Boy 06-15-2009 05:02 AM

What state are you in?

UnderFire 06-15-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 117307)
What state are you in?

Florida...why?

warrioroftheland 06-15-2009 05:12 AM

i myself have not had something like this happen to me but i do ready about these kinds of things happening alot. Some LEOs seem to think that anyone with a firearm other than a LEO is up to no good. Some of them dont even know the laws for carry in the state that they work in. its all about education of laws. they all should know the laws but they dont. i'm glad it turned out this well for you.

i would charge the department for the lost round. ammo cost to much for some cop not giving all of it back.

Ubergopher 06-15-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrioroftheland (Post 117316)
i would charge the department for the lost round. ammo cost to much for some cop not giving all of it back.

That's probably why the cop kept it.

Benning Boy 06-15-2009 05:18 AM

State laws vary.

In my state,it is best to comply, but not consent.

This is one of those officer's judgement scenarios. I've spoken to people who have gone through a traffic stop, handed over a permit, offered to surrender the weapon during the stop, and were told to keep it holstered. Other times, it went the way yours did.

We have LEOs here who may better answer this, but sounds to me like he went a tad overboard.

chopkick 06-15-2009 06:09 AM

I can think of two (2) times being pulled over and handing over my permit along with license, registration and proof of insurance. Once by Fresno P.D. and the other by Ca. Highway Patrol. In both instances the officers only wanted to know which weapon I was carrying and where it was being carried.

warrioroftheland 06-15-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubergopher (Post 117318)
That's probably why the cop kept it.

so your sayin this LEO was one round short of having a full mag?
the poor guy

Gojubrian 06-15-2009 08:06 AM

He went overboard. Either because he's an idiot or because he is untrained.

Either way, I'd make sure to file a complaint on this guy so it doesn't keep repeating for law-abiding citizens. :)

michael a 06-15-2009 10:10 AM

From a law enforcement officers stand point it seems the officer did go a little overboard with the attitude. Case in point we had a drivers license check point set up on memorial day weekend and a guy came through form tenessee. He was traveling with his family and when he pulled up and handed me his license and proof of insurance i saw the grip of a pistol hanging out his left front pocket. After i checked his license and insurance to make sure they were good i asked him about the pistol in his pocket and he handed me his concealed carry permit it was valid. I did not make him get out of the vehicle or anything else. I figure a man traveling with his family out of state has the right to have the means to protect that family if need be. Also it is not against the law in the state of mississippi to have a handgun i your vehicle without a permit, now if the guy would have been acting suspicious it would have been handled a little defferent but he was fine.