has anyone read mein kampf??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > has anyone read mein kampf??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default has anyone read mein kampf??

has anyone here read it?

i think its interesting and important to read stuff written by important people in history both good and bad. I read fidel castro's book "history will absolve me" not too long ago and it was just a horrible read. One of the most poorly written books ive read, i dont know if it was cause of the translation maybe it flowed better in spanish or if castro is just a poor writer. it was a somewhat interesting, but I was wondering if mein kampf is a little bit easier to get through or is it pretty bad too?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #2

I haven't read it but I did read The Rise and Fall of the Third Riech
Not by AH but very insightful if you are into history
Mein Kamph is mentioned and if I remember it was a horrible read in its first draft and didn't sell well but when Hitler became popular it was rewriten and edited.
I imagine it is a look into a very disturbed mind,it is on my to read for just that reason

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Why do you ask, Mein Herr?

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In my opinion it's less important to understand Hitler than it is to understand how an otherwise modern, enlightened nation allowed fascism to come to power, losing its empathy and respect for human dignity in the process. Hitler was only one ingredient. If it wasn't him it probably would have been somebody else and I believe that the same mechanisms of war and genocide would have happened with any number of anti-semetic leaders.

Naturally, your mileage will vary

Last edited by mpd8488; 05-06-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read both Mein Kampf and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich back in high school (41 years ago). I found them both interesting in a historical sense because they reflected the attitude of a people and their leader at that time and place. My family is from central Europe (grandparents immigrated to the U.S. in 1900) so I'm just a bit interested in the history of that part of the world during the time my ancestors lived there. Grandfather and great grandfather both served in the Prussian army. I wish I could have met one or both of them.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd8488 View Post
In my opinion it's less important to understand Hitler than it is to understand how an otherwise modern, enlightened nation allowed fascism to come to power, losing its empathy and respect for human dignity in the process. Hitler was only one ingredient. If it wasn't him it probably would have been somebody else and I believe that the same mechanisms of war and genocide would have happened with any number of anti-semetic leaders.

Naturally, your mileage will vary
Charisma will get you anywhere.

Mein Kampf was terrible. If you want to read the ravings of a self absorbed lunatic, I've got over 3100 posts here and close to 10k more over at Jeep Forum.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Read it, then try "The Audacity of Hope". Interesting.

Bear in mind that AH was a vegan that loved dogs.

If you're unfamiliar with the psychological make up of the man, try to locate a copy of "Hitler's Hangups". He apparently put alot of thought into minute personal details.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8877 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Well, before I got the paper that says I don't have to study war no more, I read it. Along with Sun Tzu. And the Federalist Papers. And Che Guevara. And Von Clausewitz. And Gen. Sir John Hackett. Seem to recall that MK was the worst of the lot, except for Saddam Hussein's version.

After week of reading Sun Tzu I was talking like David Carradine playing a Shaolin Monk.....

Yeah, my library at the house looks a bit strange. Copy of Koran, next to copy of Effects of Nuclear Weapons, next to Ranger Handbook. If it's what you do for a living, you study.

But nowadays I just practice the chords for Kum-bi-yah on my guitar.....

Old 05-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sun Tzu, Art of War is a good read and shouldn't be thrown in with or compared to Fidel Castro's book "history will absolve me" and Mein Kampf and Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Neither of those books are worth the paper they are written on when it comes to literary value.

"After week of reading Sun Tzu I was talking like David Carradine playing a Shaolin Monk" that is truly the worse expression I have ever heard from an expressed well read person.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #10

Never read Mein Kampf, but I have read both of David Duke's books - neither of which were boring to me.

"Jewish Supremacism" is actually available to read online for free.