Hard drive question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Hard drive question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
$13, that's defiantly doable.
Nice price! I would jump on it.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Here's what I've got.

Hard drive question - The Club House

Old 09-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1084 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Check out a Vantec hard drive dock or a NewerTech universal drive adapter. The hard drive dock is the simplest. It has itís own power supply. You just plug the bare hard drive into it, connect it to your computer with FireWire, USB 2 or USB 3, turn it on and itís the same as any flash drive or camera.

The universal drive adapter is useful if the hard drive is of an older design. Some of the earlier hard drives used a different style connector.

The hard drive docks range from $25 up on Amazon.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 4544

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I've got a question for those of you who are good with computers. Several months back, my laptop died indefinitely (Motherboard is fried). It was a Toshiba Satellite L675 running on Windows 7 with a 500 GB hard drive.

Currently, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C855 running on Windows 8, with a 600 GB (I think) hard drive. Is there an easy way to hook up my old hard drive to my computer so I can see the information stored on it?

Also, most of the parts (with the exception of the motherboard) on my old computer are still good. Is there any way I could sell those? I really don't want to just throw good equipment away when it could be reused.

Finally, once I get the info I want off my old hard drive, is there a way to completely wipe it clean (where that info could never be regathered)? If I can I'd probably sell it too. If not, I'd either just keep it, or blow a hole in it.

Thanks.
Most of the when laptop meets its maker, it is done for in the end. The only parts, is the case, screen, fans off the MB, keyboard. Even if you remove them and the laptop is older model, ebay and craigslist would be the only avenue to re-sell those parts. If the screen is having either dead pixels and/or vertical lines of resolution, that screen is done.

Destruction of the hard drive from a laptop, you can take a 5 pound hammer, safety glasses, place the hard drive in a cloth bag to prevent parts going everywhere. Once the platter is destroyed, information retrieval is out of the question.

Desktop hard drives, secure to block of wood, safety glasses and drill with good drill bit and number of holes into the platter. I usually dill 4 to 6 for good measure.

Degaussing is another method and the machines are expensive. I know others have used heavy magnet and/or microwave.

I like the tried and true method of destruction of a hard drive in the physical form.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1238 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

Quote:
$13, that's defiantly doable.

Thanks.
Yeah, $13 for the USB 3.0 version. And they do work great. Very simple to drop in your drive and access data. As long as your drive is ok.

You might check those symptoms with Toshiba or laptop forums. Could just be a BIOS that needs reset. When I hear "fried" my first thought is a lazy computer guy.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Newegg has these for SATA to USB converters:

http://www.newegg.com/USB-Converters/SubCategory/ID-3026?Tid=19442&Tpk=sata%20to%20usb%20adapter
Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah, $13 for the USB 3.0 version. And they do work great. Very simple to drop in your drive and access data. As long as your drive is ok.

You might check those symptoms with Toshiba or laptop forums. Could just be a BIOS that needs reset. When I hear "fried" my first thought is a lazy computer guy.
If it is a BIOS problem, how would I fix it? Right now, the computer is still is several pieces (he was going to charge me to put it back together, and since he said it was done for, I told him to just leave it like it was). I could probably figure out how to get it back together.

I did smell a sort of burning electronics smell not long before it died on me.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
If it is a BIOS problem, how would I fix it? Right now, the computer is still is several pieces (he was going to charge me to put it back together, and since he said it was done for, I told him to just leave it like it was). I could probably figure out how to get it back together.

I did smell a sort of burning electronics smell not long before it died on me.
Fired means MB is done for!

BIOS, found this information, not sure if it will work.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5843019_restore-bios-default-toshiba-laptop.html
Old 09-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1238 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 1282

Well if the motherboard's magic smoke got released then it's a goner.

Pretty had to diagnose long distance. I mentioned the BIOS because it does happen (but you won't smell/see smoke. Smoke is a bad thing as we all know.) The code/configuration in the chip gets corrupt but it's just code so can be reset, sometimes easily depending on how Toshiba set it up.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well if the motherboard's magic smoke got released then it's a goner.

Pretty had to diagnose long distance. I mentioned the BIOS because it does happen (but you won't smell/see smoke. Smoke is a bad thing as we all know.) The code/configuration in the chip gets corrupt but it's just code so can be reset, sometimes easily depending on how Toshiba set it up.
Never saw smoke, just smelled a faint burning smell. I'll try putting it back together and see if resetting the BIOS helps.

Thanks.