Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Hard drive question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hard-drive-question-97461/)

texaswoodworker 09-22-2013 02:01 PM

Hard drive question

I've got a question for those of you who are good with computers. Several months back, my laptop died indefinitely (Motherboard is fried). It was a Toshiba Satellite L675 running on Windows 7 with a 500 GB hard drive.

Currently, I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C855 running on Windows 8, with a 600 GB (I think) hard drive. Is there an easy way to hook up my old hard drive to my computer so I can see the information stored on it?

Also, most of the parts (with the exception of the motherboard) on my old computer are still good. Is there any way I could sell those? I really don't want to just throw good equipment away when it could be reused.

Finally, once I get the info I want off my old hard drive, is there a way to completely wipe it clean (where that info could never be regathered)? If I can I'd probably sell it too. If not, I'd either just keep it, or blow a hole in it.

Thanks.

MisterMcCool 09-22-2013 02:17 PM

Try FireWire

clr8ter 09-22-2013 02:18 PM

I think your best bet would be to get it out of the old machine, and completely destroy it. Specifically, the platter. That's what's been recommended to me.

Quentin 09-22-2013 02:24 PM

I haven't had to do this in years but see if you can buy an external hard disk enclosure (empty, no drive) that your laptop hard disk will fit in. The internal interface probably is SATA and then the drive will connect to you new LT via USB. If your new LT has USB 3.0 ports then definitely try for that in the empty enclosure. Anyway get the fastest interface you can use. Let us know how it goes.

Nice to be able to get an external drive using your old HD.

Quentin 09-22-2013 02:29 PM

BTW, what makes you think the MB is fried? Maybe it's a corrupt BIOS? That could be restored?

texaswoodworker 09-22-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1379863)
I haven't had to do this in years but see if you can buy an external hard disk enclosure (empty, no drive) that your laptop hard disk will fit in. The internal interface probably is SATA and then the drive will connect to you new LT via USB. If your new LT has USB 3.0 ports then definitely try for that in the empty enclosure. Anyway get the fastest interface you can use. Let us know how it goes.

Nice to be able to get an external drive using your old HD.

How do I know if my hard disk will fit in it? Does it have to be a certain configuration, or just physically big enough for it to fit?

I'm not very computer literate when it comes to stuff like this. :o

DLM1114 09-22-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
I haven't had to do this in years but see if you can buy an external hard disk enclosure (empty, no drive) that your laptop hard disk will fit in. The internal interface probably is SATA and then the drive will connect to you new LT via USB. If your new LT has USB 3.0 ports then definitely try for that in the empty enclosure. Anyway get the fastest interface you can use. Let us know how it goes. Nice to be able to get an external drive using your old HD.

This will work and having a permanent external drive is a good thing. To save a few bucks, you can consider a SATA-to-USB adapter that does the same thing without an enclosure. It's fine for limited or temporary transfers. Cost about $20 to $25.

Quentin 09-22-2013 02:33 PM

Look at this...

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NexStar-2-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B002JQNXZC/ref=lp_160354011_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1379860308&s r=1-2

texaswoodworker 09-22-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1379872)
BTW, what makes you think the MB is fried? Maybe it's a corrupt BIOS? That could be restored?

I had a computer repair guy look at it. He said it was done for. I could turn the computer on, but all that would happen is the fan (or something) would rev up and down constantly. The screen wouldn't even light up.

texaswoodworker 09-22-2013 02:37 PM

$13, that's defiantly doable. :D

Thanks. :)