Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hard Cider / Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7791 Times on 4500 Posts
Likes Given: 10046

[QUOTE=tCan;639768I think now would be a good time to exercise my 5th amendment rights

Also, I'm originally Canadian, and you Americans have some funny ideas about drinking. That's all I have to say on that subject.

What pH is that specifically?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea. I just was told that a long time ago.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have no idea. I just was told that a long time ago.
It's quite the claim. Every organism has an ideal environment and pH is definitely a major factor. But considering the large variance in the pH of the things we like to ferment, I would be cautious with the claim that spring water is always the best for the health of the yeast, particularly since other characteristics of yeast can vary so much from species to species.

Some people like mineral water, some don't. Hard to say if distilled or spring water is going to taste better.

That said, I won't be using tap water anytime soon. They put all sorts of ions and chemicals in there to inhibit the growth of micro-organisms, which is not exactly something I'm after...

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Read that again. My 5th rights.

It's all jokes anyway.
Ok. I got what you were saying now. I thought it said "Now's when I would have plead my 5th amendment rights".

I honestly don't mind underage drinking. I think it is ridiculous. Boys can go fight for our country, but when they come home it is illegal for somebody to buy them a drink.

Also, IMO most kids that drink have more "control" of how much they drink, because they don't want to get caught or get in trouble by parents. With that being said, most "adults" of age will drink until they are highly drunk and do stupid things.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
our law here states 200 gallons per drinking age person living in the residence

just found this.. sorry about your luck

"Today under federal law any household (in most states, one exception being Alabama) can produce up to 200 gallons of wine per person within a household."

Read more: Homemade Wine Prohibitions | eHow.com Homemade Wine Prohibitions | eHow.com
Yeah, this don't really bother me. I make wine for the fun/hobby of it. And the wine I make is for my personal consumption. (I may give some away as gifts, but most is just for me)

While we are on the subject of wine making, has anyone here tried distilling their wine? What about aging in barrels?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1101 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 629

with all this talk of wine i just had to open up a bottle tonight.mmmm diamond a white grape

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #26

Check out EC Kraus. I used to do homemade wine and they were my mail order supplier of choice.

"I'd rather die on my feet than to live on my knees." E. Zapata

Old 12-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #27

Hmmm. I burped my jug today, noticed the rate of bubbles increased by about 3 fold. I'm not positive that it's not just the CO2 coming out of solution... Should you do that?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #28

I've started a yeast culture using wild yeast. I put some grapes in a sterile jar with some spring water and waited. Now, I'm going to be leaving town for a few weeks here soon. Can I just throw it in the fridge and come back to it in 3 weeks?

After that I need to figure out a way to keep the jug at 75 degrees. Maybe the top of the fridge will help keep the temperature out of the 60's at least.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
Yeah, this don't really bother me. I make wine for the fun/hobby of it. And the wine I make is for my personal consumption. (I may give some away as gifts, but most is just for me)

While we are on the subject of wine making, has anyone here tried distilling their wine? What about aging in barrels?
I've read that traditionally some regions distill their wine by freezing them and scraping off the slush, usually with the aid of cold weather. Unfortunately, this method, (and any method without permit) is now illegal.

By the way, my hard cider came out ok. The cider I started with was pretty weak tasting, so you could taste a lot of alcohol, but it came out pretty good. I'll probably do a few more. Mostly to get some more jugs, but certainly good to drink. Of course, back sweetening with some apple concentrate would probably help a lot.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 01-01-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan
By the way, my hard cider came out ok. The cider I started with was pretty weak tasting, so you could taste a lot of alcohol, but it came out pretty good. I'll probably do a few more. Mostly to get some more jugs, but certainly good to drink. Of course, back sweetening with some apple concentrate would probably help a lot.
A while back I made some apple cinnamon wine. That stuff is awesome. You can drink it cold or drink it hot (during a cold winter). That stuff is good warm.

Yeah when mine had finished fermenting, I wanted it a little sweeter so I used frozen concentrate. That really helped. It gave flavor and sweetness.