You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Hard Cider / Mead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan

I think now would be a good time to exercise my 5th amendment rights
Why do you think I should plea the 5th?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
bkt

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If you have a good spring water that is infinitely better than distilled, well or city water. Distilled water has the wrong ph to make the best mead.

Also, get raw honey locally. That is the best stuff.
Yes, raw honey tends to be tastier than pasteurized stuff. I'll give spring water a whirl. I've always been a little leery of bottled "spring" water...it's not clear to me it didn't come from someone's tap somewhere. I'm trying to avoid chlorine and other chemicals that would inhibit the yeast.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM   #13

Liked 113 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
Why do you think I should plea the 5th?
Read that again. My 5th rights.

It's all jokes anyway.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #14

here is some advice from a fellow homebrewer.

The glass jug that came with the juice is not a good idea to ferment in. I doubt there is enough headspace in it to handle the fermentation of a cider. If you are going to use a jug that small then you should use a blow off tube, take a tube put 1 side in the top of the jug and put the other in a bucket of sanitizer and water or vodka. That way the foam will go out the tube into the bucket not on your ceiling. you will also need a secong jug to rack the cider into after it is done fermenting. After fermentation is complete there will be a lot of crap at the bottom of the jug, think dead yeast and yeast poop, you do not want to leave the cider on top of that.

Also when it is all finished you will want to back sweeten the cider. What you use to back sweeten depends on if you want it carbonated or not. For your first cider I would recommend not trying to carb it. So after you bottle it add some fresh cider to sweeten it up a little bit. You will want to put it in the fridge immediately so that the yeast will stop. If you do not you will have a bottle bomb and that **** sucks. cider is really sticky and a pain in the ass to get off the walls and ceiling.

I would not expect anything tasting to good using bread yeast. but it will be a good learning experience. My first batch of beer got dumped because it tasted like garbage...all 5 gallons of it. but since then I have made amazing beer, cider and lemonade.

If you plan on brewing in the future I would recommend getting a couple carboys or fermenting buckets, a few airlocks and a racking cane thats about all you will need besides sanitizer.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. is a great forum for info on anything to do with brewing

Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post

The glass jug that came with the juice is not a good idea to ferment in. I doubt there is enough headspace in it to handle the fermentation of a cider. If you are going to use a jug that small then you should use a blow off tube, take a tube put 1 side in the top of the jug and put the other in a bucket of sanitizer and water or vodka. That way the foam will go out the tube into the bucket not on your ceiling. you will also need a secong jug to rack the cider into after it is done fermenting. After fermentation is complete there will be a lot of crap at the bottom of the jug, think dead yeast and yeast poop, you do not want to leave the cider on top of that.

Also when it is all finished you will want to back sweeten the cider. What you use to back sweeten depends on if you want it carbonated or not. For your first cider I would recommend not trying to carb it. So after you bottle it add some fresh cider to sweeten it up a little bit. You will want to put it in the fridge immediately so that the yeast will stop. If you do not you will have a bottle bomb and that **** sucks. cider is really sticky and a pain in the ass to get off the walls and ceiling.

I would not expect anything tasting to good using bread yeast. but it will be a good learning experience. My first batch of beer got dumped because it tasted like garbage...all 5 gallons of it. but since then I have made amazing beer, cider and lemonade.

If you plan on brewing in the future I would recommend getting a couple carboys or fermenting buckets, a few airlocks and a racking cane thats about all you will need besides sanitizer.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community. is a great forum for info on anything to do with brewing
I have a new found love of lemonade. Country time to be exact. I have even taken to mixing vodka with it. Been thinking about finding some lemon flavored vodka for mixing with my country time.

The point to this is...can i make a hard lemonade that tastes like country time? If so, i might just be tempted to get into home brewing. (just what i need, ANOTHER expensive hobby! as if trout fishing, deer hunting, reloading and shooting arent enough)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I have a new found love of lemonade. Country time to be exact. I have even taken to mixing vodka with it. Been thinking about finding some lemon flavored vodka for mixing with my country time.

The point to this is...can i make a hard lemonade that tastes like country time? If so, i might just be tempted to get into home brewing. (just what i need, ANOTHER expensive hobby! as if trout fishing, deer hunting, reloading and shooting arent enough)
If it's got sugar in it, chances are you can find a yeast that will thrive in it. The acid in lemonade may be too much for many strains of yeast; do some google searches to see what yeast might work.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #17

Liked 113 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post

Thanks for the advice! I've got about 4 inches between the top of the jug and the cider. It's not really fermenting vigorously, I'll probably have to let it go for 3 weeks. There is only a small ring of foam around the edges. Hopefully it won't be a problem.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 PM   #18

Liked 1373 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt_tater View Post
I'm just wondering where you live. The reason I ask is because in Alabama you can't have more than 30 gallons or something like that of one type of homemade wine. Anything more than that is classified as bootlegging or illegal distribution.
our law here states 200 gallons per drinking age person living in the residence

just found this.. sorry about your luck

"Today under federal law any household (in most states, one exception being Alabama) can produce up to 200 gallons of wine per person within a household."

Read more: Homemade Wine Prohibitions | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5431821_homemade-wine-prohibitions.html#ixzz1fFj5Ostb
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 12-01-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #19

Liked 1373 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
If I'm to understand you correctly, you siphon off the liquid and rebottle it every six months? How come? Wouldn't 2 or 3 times be enough?
yea 3 times is about right sometimes. 3 x 6 =18months. depending on how sweet you want it. as the other person mentioned think dead yeast and such all sitting in the bottom. we dont want that flavor to stay in our wine. so we rack( siphon from one bottle to another) every 6 months. trying to leave as much of the sludge as possible. we also add suger syrup. it feeds the yeast, making it sweeter tasting and also having a higher alcohol content
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

depends on what you mean by "tastes like" I would think it would be hard to get it to taste exactly like country time, but It could taste close, or at least better then country time with vodka. As far as cost goes it is not that expensive for a bare bones kit. All you need is a glass jug or food grade plastic bucket, an airlock and some sanitizer. I just bought a third fermentor from my local homebrew store for under 20.00 and its a 7.5 gallon. If you want the fancy glass carboys its going to be more expensive but if your just trying it out to see if you like it I would go with the plastic. As BKT said the acid in lemonade will kill weak yeast, I use redstar champagne yeast (about $1) if you want it sweat you will need to kill the yeast or back sweeten with splenda or another non fermentable sweetener.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
Thanks for the advice! I've got about 4 inches between the top of the jug and the cider. It's not really fermenting vigorously, I'll probably have to let it go for 3 weeks. There is only a small ring of foam around the edges. Hopefully it won't be a problem.
Just watch that foam it might be ok especially since it is bread yeast. Cider can violently ferment and cause a huge mess