You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Happy New Year

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2338 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 5772

Default Happy New Year

Happy New Year all! As the new year is getting started I was just pondering last year and what I want to do different this year. I was also wondering what changes, if any, all of you are planning on making for this new year????

For myself I was busy for the last couple of years with home projects and work. Now I've finally got most of my projects finished and things have settled down at work so I'm ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor this year. In other words it's time to get back to living rather than working. I've had a lot time off over the holidays and that time reminded me how nice it is to stop and smell the flowers so to speak. Particular things I'm looking forward to this year that I will make priorities rather than working 24/7:

1. Shooting - I have a lot of loads to work up this year!
2. Fishing - I'm getting a kayak just as soon spring gets here
3. Guitar - I will make time for serious and regular practice this year
4. Gardening - I've had a garden over the last couple of years but I haven't had the time really enjoy it, or enjoy cooking with all of those great fresh vegetables and herbs.
5. Hunting - A pinched nerve pretty much messed up my deer season which just ended but there are a lot of other tasty critters out there and it's time to put a few of them on the table. I think I'll take my nephew squirrel hunting next weekend.

So what changes are all of you planning on for this year??????

dango Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14078 Times on 5952 Posts
Likes Given: 2342

And best wishes for a very happy New Year to you as well.

Changes- Um- change in inevitable (except from a vending machine)

However, I had planned to retire from my current job as of..... yesterday. However, my folks have asked if I would consider staying on, and taking off more time. As in work 3-4 days each week- my call for days and hours.

So during 2016, I am looking forward to more time- at the range, the loading bench, the boat on the lake, fooling around in the workshop, messing about in the garden/ orchard. Maybe a few overnights on the Appalachian Trail when weather gets nice. Some 4 day weekends at the Outer Banks. And a nap when I want one!

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2016, 02:49 AM   #3

Liked 353 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 431

For me, same ole, same ole. Got some farm maintenance to be doing.

C3: sounds great! I was able to telecommute 100% my last 1.5 years before retiring, working four days a week. The year before, telecommuted 3 of the four days I worked. Every weekend a three day weekend. The year before that, 2 of the four days I worked. Nice gig. Contract ran out, so I retired - didn't want to to the commute on I-95 from Fredricksburg to DC.
dango Likes This 
Old 01-03-2016, 03:45 AM   #4
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 14078 Times on 5952 Posts
Likes Given: 2342

RJF- about 3 years back, I BRIEFLY considered commuting from the Richmond area to Warrenton. GS job based out of Vint Hill, but salaried as if in DC. Obscene pay scale- I could have picked up a driver and limo for the daily drive. But decided I had enuff traffic, whether riding or driving.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:27 AM   #5

Liked 3972 Times on 2225 Posts
Likes Given: 2624

Happy New Year all!

What with getting the property organized, I never

got the reloading set up the way I would have liked.

Hopefully, this year, I'll be pressing more bullets, and

doing more range shooting and hunting...
dango Likes This 
Old 01-03-2016, 05:49 AM   #6
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2022 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And best wishes for a very happy New Year to you as well.

Changes- Um- change in inevitable (except from a vending machine)

However, I had planned to retire from my current job as of..... yesterday. However, my folks have asked if I would consider staying on, and taking off more time. As in work 3-4 days each week- my call for days and hours.

So during 2016, I am looking forward to more time- at the range, the loading bench, the boat on the lake, fooling around in the workshop, messing about in the garden/ orchard. Maybe a few overnights on the Appalachian Trail when weather gets nice. Some 4 day weekends at the Outer Banks. And a nap when I want one!
C3 congrats on the semi retirement, I am only 51, but can't get my mind around total retirement yet. Without an external reason to get up in the morning my natural laziness would kick in and I would sleep until 9 or 10 in the morning then take a nap around 2 in the afternoon!

My uncle "retired" from the multi state electric company 4 or 5 years ago, he was what I would call upper-middle level management. 2 or 3 months later his bosses wanted him back as a "consultant". His replacement couldn't do the job. He worked 2 or 3 days a week on his own schedule for about 3 years until the bosses were satisfied his replacement could now do the job. Short weeks and long weekends made the transition a little easier. Plus by the time his "consultancy" was over my aunt was ready to retire, worked out all the way around.

I have seen several people retire and then sit on their front porch and drink and smoke themselves to death out of boredom a year later. I worried about my dad doing this for a short time when he retired, I shouldn't have, since he retired he can't sit still, ( my home shop didn't need reorganized, but it got reorganized )

I don't foresee these things for you C3, you have too much going on besides work, if all else fails there may be more "anarchists" in need of training!!

Just kinda threw it out there for everybodies consumption and consideration.
dango Likes This 
Old 01-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

Liked 3972 Times on 2225 Posts
Likes Given: 2624

Yeah, I thought

"Woo-hoo! Retirement!".

Man, I've never been so dang busy in

my life!

dango Likes This