Happy 90th, Mikhail!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Happy 90th, Mikhail!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Happy 90th, Mikhail!

Mikhail Kalashnikov, father of the AK-47, turns 90

10/11/2009

MOSCOW, November 10 (RIA Novosti) - Mikhail Kalashnikov, the Russian inventor of the AK-47 assault rifle, turned 90 on Tuesday.

Then-Soviet soldier Kalashnikov was inspired to design the weapon after being wounded in 1941 during WWII. While his first attempts were deemed unsuccessful, he was given a position in weapons development, and by 1947 he had perfected his masterpiece.

Since then, the AK-47 has become the most widespread and famous assault rifle in history. Used by some 50 armies around the world, as well as countless urban guerrilla movements, it is also featured on the flag of Mozambique.

However, despite estimated sales of 100 million, Kalashnikov, who lives in the Western Urals city of Izhevsk, claims not to have profited from the AK-47 and to receive only a state pension.

"Without doubt, Mikhail Kalashnikov is the world patriarch of small arms weapons," the deputy director of Russia's state arms exporter Rosoboronexport said.

"His contribution to the advancement on the foreign arms market of Russian small arms is priceless...His name is as famous as that of Yury Gagarin, the world's first cosmonaut" Igor Sevastyanov told RIA Novosti.

The official also said that Russia had signed a contract with an unnamed North African state for 500,000 AK-103-2s, a newly modified version of the AK-47 capable of firing three-round bursts.

However, despite his world fame, or notoriety, Kalashnikov takes no pleasure in the destructive power he unleashed all those years ago.

"I'm proud of my invention, but I'm sad that it is used by terrorists," he said on a visit to Germany in 2002.

"I would prefer to have invented a machine that people could use and that would help farmers with their work - for example a lawnmower."

Mikhail Kalashnikov, father of the AK-47, turns 90 | Top Russian news and analysis online | 'RIA Novosti' newswire

Kalashnikov received no monetary reward for the AK, although he achieved worldwide fame and had vodka named after him.

Blunt peasant instrument/terrorist weapon of choice or not, I'm glad he designed it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

How ironic. Mike shares a birthday with Big Bird- who turned 40 yesterday.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Another year to whore his name.

Can you imagine what he could do if he could get to a good 5th Ave publicist?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello