ham operator license - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > ham operator license

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

There are groups across the U.S. that is basically setting up networks to keep communication going in case of a disaster.
The expensive part ? Equipment.. Sure, you can get cheap stuff but how long will it last ? Then once you get into the hobby, your always looking for a better transmitter or reciever or tower..

But, it's a lot of fun making friends all around the world..

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now

Old 11-04-2009, 01:26 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Quick derail, as I know absolutely nothing about this, but am now intrigued.

Why? What is the purpose today of Ham radio?

And it's licensed?

And what is expensive?

Tell me more.
Since they eliminated the requirement to learn Morse code for the license I think more people are getting involved to complement specific activities such as off-roading. More and more off-roaders are moving from CB to ham radio because it's capable of much longer distance communications, the quality is much better, and it's easier to find a clear frequency.

People commonly talk about using ham for emergency communications, and there are groups that practice for such events. Not something I'm really into, but nice to know I'll have another form of comms in case of a SHTF event.

Getting the basic Tech class license is pretty easy. You just need to have a knowledge of the basic rules, operating procedures and basic electricity concepts. With that license the most popular radios are in the 2 meter band - these are popular for mobile applications.

2 meter mobile radios run anywhere from $200-$400, maybe a little more. A base station might be a little more, but they would probably have more capability. You can get a decent 2M hand held (basically a very capable walkie-talkie) for under $200.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation