Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Had an Interesting Offer on a Gun I Was Selling...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Default Had an Interesting Offer on a Gun I Was Selling...

I was toying with the idea of parting ways with my Mini 14 Tactical. I have an AR in .223/5.56 and thought about selling the Mini to get something different. I've since chucked that idea for now, but I had an interesting phone call with an offer on my rifle. After the initial phone greetings and checking to see if the gun was still for sale, it went something like this:

Him: I see you're asking $700. Are you flexible at all?
Me: Yeah, I could bend a little.
Him: I'll offer you $550 cash for it without the scope.
Me: Nah, I'm not separating it, how about $650 all-in?
Him: Would you do $600?
Me: Tell you what, I'll meet you on your side of the middle and go $625 and that's my final offer.
Him: Okay... Seems fair enough. I can do that. Cash good with you or would you prefer a money order or something?
Me: Nah. Cash is fine and if you can just bring me a copy of your DL or Carry Permit and I'll bring 2 copies of a bill of sale with my DL copies so we each get a signed copy of the bill of sale with the Make, Model, SN, etc.
Him: Oh... I'm not really comfortable with the paperwork man.
Me: Well, I would just feel better if I had some proof that the gun left my possession. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that if it falls into the wrong hands, I don't want it coming back on me.
Him: I'll give you the full $700 without the paperwork.
Me: No deal. Thanks though. I'll just hang onto it.

That was it. I hung up. I'm not dealing with some sketchy dude that won't do a simple bill of sale. He got really weird about it. The fact that he was willing to pay an extra $75 to not have paperwork after he haggled me to death really freaked me out. I considered calling it in because I found it really suspicious, but a friend of mine advised me not to since the guy had my phone number and what not. I just let it go.

Still... Anybody think I did the wrong thing here? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Best,
Matthew

Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You did perfect. I'd do the same if i were you. Wee are talking about firearms not like selling or transferring car.
So what if the other party has your phone #. As if he's going to do anything.
Once again you did the right thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Ya dun good. If they're wanting to haggle you like that, and then willing to pay extra for you to leave any kind of paperwork out of it, then I would have turned them down too.

It could be simply that they aren't comfortable with you having their info. If that's the case... whatever. But, considering you're not an FFL, and are willing to reciprocate with your own info, I find it shady as hell.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
I was toying with the idea of parting ways with my Mini 14 Tactical. I have an AR in .223/5.56 and thought about selling the Mini to get something different. I've since chucked that idea for now, but I had an interesting phone call with an offer on my rifle. After the initial phone greetings and checking to see if the gun was still for sale, it went something like this:

Him: I see you're asking $700. Are you flexible at all?
Me: Yeah, I could bend a little.
Him: I'll offer you $550 cash for it without the scope.
Me: Nah, I'm not separating it, how about $650 all-in?
Him: Would you do $600?
Me: Tell you what, I'll meet you on your side of the middle and go $625 and that's my final offer.
Him: Okay... Seems fair enough. I can do that. Cash good with you or would you prefer a money order or something?
Me: Nah. Cash is fine and if you can just bring me a copy of your DL or Carry Permit and I'll bring 2 copies of a bill of sale with my DL copies so we each get a signed copy of the bill of sale with the Make, Model, SN, etc.
Him: Oh... I'm not really comfortable with the paperwork man.
Me: Well, I would just feel better if I had some proof that the gun left my possession. It's not that I don't trust you, it's just that if it falls into the wrong hands, I don't want it coming back on me.
Him: I'll give you the full $700 without the paperwork.
Me: No deal. Thanks though. I'll just hang onto it.

That was it. I hung up. I'm not dealing with some sketchy dude that won't do a simple bill of sale. He got really weird about it. The fact that he was willing to pay an extra $75 to not have paperwork after he haggled me to death really freaked me out. I considered calling it in because I found it really suspicious, but a friend of mine advised me not to since the guy had my phone number and what not. I just let it go.

Still... Anybody think I did the wrong thing here? What are your thoughts on the matter?

Best,
Matthew
There are a lot of reasons that someone doesn't want a paper trail of gun ownership, not all of them are nefarious. That being said you did what you felt was the right thing and that's all that matters.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
So what if the other party has your phone #. As if he's going to do anything.
Well, my buddy was just saying that if I turned him in, he could retaliate in some way via my phone number. I decided not to report it just because I don't want the cops all up in my business about my guns.
Three old hunters were walking through the woods one day. The first looks over at the others and says, "Windy isn't it?" The second says, "I was sure it was Thursday." The third says, "Me too! The heck with hunting, let's go get a beer!"

Old 12-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #6

Thanks for the backup guys.

Actually, I wouldn't have minded not doing the paperwork if he had asked right up front. But the fact that he was willing to pay extra to NOT have paperwork makes me feel like he was up to no good.

Just thought I'd share it with you.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

You did the right thing. That guy is pretty sketchy, whoever he is you're doing right by leaving him alone.

-Matt

heymatthew Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymatthew View Post
Actually, I wouldn't have minded not doing the paperwork if he had asked right up front. But the fact that he was willing to pay extra to NOT have paperwork makes me feel like he was up to no good.
Exactly. I have a couple of firearms that i bought at gunshows with no paperwork other than the seller looking at my ID to see i lived in-state. I wouldn't have a problem selling one the same way, but if it was an emphatic request, that would make me VERY hesitant.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.