Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > H&R Buffalo Classic produces .45-70 rifle as affordable option

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H&R Buffalo Classic produces .45-70 rifle as affordable option

BY DOYLE DIETZ

For those who enjoy the nostalgic aspects of hunting big game with historical combinations of firearms and ammunition, the resurgence in popularity of the .45-70 Government cartridge is a welcome trend.

Unfortunately, for several years many of those wanting to hunt with a rifle chambered in .45-70 were priced out of the market. Now, owning a modern version of such a rifle is once again obtainable with the reintroduction of the Buffalo Classic Rifle, first introduced by the Harrington & Richardson Gun Company in 1871, which has a selling price in the $500 range.

Ed Kennedy, who owns Ed’s Sports Shop in Tamaqua and is a firearms vendor at gun shows sponsored by the Forks of the Delaware Historical Arms Society, said the price of an antique .45-70 rifle in shooting condition is almost always more than the listed book value. As for purchasing a new target or hunting rifle manufactured by the Montana-based Sharps Rifle Company, the price can exceed $2,000, and European imported replicas of Sharps rifles usually have a selling price of more than $1,000.

“H&R and New England Firearms manufactured affordable, single-shot, break-top firearms for more than 100 years, but sales began to decline in the 1980s because of the popularity of repeating rifles and shotguns,” Kennedy said. “In January 1986, the companies went out of business, but then reappeared in 1991 as H&R 1871, Inc., and added double-action revolvers to its line of break-open rifles and shotguns.

“In 1999, the company ceased its production of revolvers, but the break-top shotguns and rifles are more popular than ever. A lot of people like the idea of using a single-shot shotgun to teach youngsters safety and the importance of making a good shot, and the Buffalo Classic is a great rifle for hunting deer and bear in the woods.

“Marlin Firearms purchased the companies in 2000, and since then they have merged with Remington. H&R and New England Firearms maintain their own identity, and the firearms continue to be manufactured in Gardner, Massachusetts.”

By the early 1870s, the .45-70 was a standard cartridge in use by the U.S. Military, which issued Springfield single-shot trapdoor rifles to infantry units and carbine models of those firearms to Calvary companies. In addition, because of its effective range of 500 yards in the hands of an expert marksman, the 405-grain bullet available for the cartridge made it the caliber of choice for many buffalo hunters on the Western Plains.

Because spent brass casings could expand from the heat produced in the chamber of trapdoor rifles and become difficult to extract, the loading and ejecting systems in single-shot Sharps and Remington rifles made them the choice for civilian use. According to some historical accounts, the military continued using Springfield rifles because President U.S. Grant’s brother, who was in charge of government firearms purchases, received financial consideration from the company.

When the military switched the .30-40 Krag as standard issue in 1892, the .45-70 was still favored by those hunting large and/or dangerous game of all sorts — including the Arizona Rangers, whose lever-action Model 1886 Winchester repeating rifles were chambered in .45-70.

Then, with the advent of smokeless powder allowing for the production of more powerful loads with higher velocities, the .45-70 was already a dinosaur when the United States entered World War I in 1914.

No longer considered state of the art, new and used surplus military and used civilian rifles chambered in .45-70 became readily available and relatively inexpensive.

This trend continued into the early 1970s. Then the demand for these historical firearms began to grow among hunters and target shooters who reloaded their own blackpowder cartridges.

Modern rifles chambered in .45-70 are capable of firing high-velocity factory ammunition, but for those who prefer using historical blackpowder loads for hunting now have that option. At one time, only those who did reloading had access to blackpowder cartridges powerful enough for hunting, but now factory loads in a variety of bullet weights are manufactured by Goex.

Even Buffalo Bill would have to agree that the reintroduction of the H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic has made hunting with a .45-70 rifle more affordable than ever.

http://www.republicanherald.com/articles/2008/11/16/sports/local_sports/pr_republican.20081116.b.pg5.pr16oddietz_s1.208949 3_spo.txt

I love to read about old guns. And this is good news for hunters. If I was rich i would add some cowboy guns to my collection. LOL.

Three groups spend other people's money: children, thieves, and politicians. All three need supervision. —DICK ARMEY

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Well, the replicas aren't that expensive. I thought about getting one of those 45-70 NEFs, but there don't seem to be many around these days.

9x18=Makarov

Old 11-18-2008, 12:59 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Well, the replicas aren't that expensive. I thought about getting one of those 45-70 NEFs, but there don't seem to be many around these days.
The single shot H&Rs retail for about $250.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I know about the price and it's fine, but there aren't any in my area....

9x18=Makarov

Old 01-15-2009, 03:49 AM   #5

I just bought an H&R Buffalo Classic in .45-70, and hope to test fire it this weekend. Has anyone here added a recoil pad or swivels/sling to theirs? Carrying it in my arms with my climber stand on my back won't be much fun, so I'm thinking of adding swivels and a sling.

Are these rifles truly accurate to 200 yards? My Hornady 325 grain ammo lists a drop of 4.1 inches at that range (it also indicates +3 inches at 100 yards).

What size scopes have y'all put on this mammoth boomstick? I'm thinking of using a 3-12 X50.

Old 01-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I want one in 45-70 and one in 500 Smtih. Either would make a great eastern yote gun and deer gun. Slap a 2-7 or 3-9x40mm scope on it and call it a day.

putting a 3-12x50 on one of these bigmouths is odd. why do you need so much power. This is a shortrange cartridge unless you chamber the 45-70 in a big long sharps type rifle.

I am not a fan of the 3-9x40 but it is a very good choice for this application. or something even smaller like a 1.75-5x32mm. You don't always have to have the biggest scope you can afford on top of a rifle. I see guys with 6.5x20x50mm scopes on a 30-06 deer rifle that will never see a shot over 200 yards.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #7

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default this sucks but

H&R Handi Rifles are legal to hunt with in MS. during primitive weapons season with scopes and smokeless powder in calibers .35 and larger. You can't find a 45-70 anywhere now.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
H&R Handi Rifles are legal to hunt with in MS. during primitive weapons season with scopes and smokeless powder in calibers .35 and larger. You can't find a 45-70 anywhere now.
I've not heard the phrase "primitive weapons" before. Is that essentially muzzleloader and archery?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Benning yes a primitive weapon is a front stuffer or recuve bow.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The State of Ohio used to have a "primitive weapon" season. That included all archery (including crossbows, compound and recurve) and black powder rifles. A few years back, they did away with the term and now have archery, shotgun and muzzleloader seasons. I don't know why, but now muzzleloader season is only 4 days instead of the 4 months of what is now archery season.

These days, the in-line muzzleloaders are hardly primitive.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!