Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   ? For the Guys Over 33 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/guys-over-33-a-8469/)

Dillinger 11-15-2008 07:20 PM

? For the Guys Over 33

Relax - This has nothing to do with libido, the little blue pill, your eyesight or annual "physical" exam. :D

Back in the days BEFORE the World Wide Internetz, we used to be taught school lessons from books, generally ones that were handed down, year after year, so each "new" student got one that already had all sorts of notes written in the columns to help you out. There was no Google and there was no Wikipedia, we had Encyclopedia "F"ing Britannica, at the library for most of us.

Now, I remember being taught that a mile was 5,284 feet. I am almost sure of it, so much so, that it has stuck with me forever.

Now, last night, my fiancee' and I, who is about 8 years younger than I am, were watching a TV program and they referenced that a mile was 5,280 feet. I stated that was wrong and she laughed in my face and said it was right.

Off to the Internetz we go, because she has to be right ON EVERYTHING, and I need to be right at least some of the time or else my poor male pride gets hurt and I feel the need to mope around like a little girl with a skinned knee. :D

Sure enough, those bastards on Google and several other sites claim it's now 5,280 feet in a US Mile.

So - Knowing that I am more than willing to accept and admit publicly to being wrong, do any of you remember this being the case? Or am I the only one and I just had one hit to the head to many??

Also, I would appreciate you not tee-ing off on the fact that I work in the gunshop and tolerances are important. I know that, I am freely admitting that I personally think it's 5,284 feet and it has nothing to do with building a good rifle. Thanks...

JD

c3shooter 11-15-2008 09:21 PM

Over 35- and no, it's just you. Sorry-

Dillinger 11-15-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 50771)
Over 35- and no, it's just you. Sorry-

SH!T - I hate when she's right.....

bkt 11-15-2008 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 50774)
SH!T - I hate when she's right.....

Oh hell, get used to that, bud.

Yes, I'm over 35 and I remember 5280.

Mark F 11-15-2008 11:48 PM

You've been smokin' those funny little cigarettes again... I'm 57 and it has always been 5280 feet.

Sorry Bud, but your Lady is right "AGAIN"...

Dillinger 11-16-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark F (Post 50789)
You've been smokin' those funny little cigarettes again... I'm 57 and it has always been 5280 feet.

Sorry Bud, but your Lady is right "AGAIN"...

YEAH?! Well Band-Aids DID come with a red string that you had to use to open them. :p

Musket 11-16-2008 12:25 AM

perhaps in Dillinger's world it IS an extra 4 feet. Or, he had the book with the typo har har har :D

Dillinger, perhaps its because you had to walk to school uphill both ways in 8 feet of snow that you had an extra 4 feet to tramp..... :rolleyes:

dango 11-16-2008 01:16 AM

Well,I'm over 55 and I don't remember anything !who are you ? where am I ?
What are we talkin about ? Pl%@#!thh !!:D

cbw 11-16-2008 01:23 AM

Dillinger, perhaps it's time to call the phone operator (if there still is one) and ask her to trace your call to tell you where your at! :D

dango 11-16-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbw (Post 50801)
Dillinger, perhaps it's time to call the phone operator (if there still is one) and ask her to trace your call to tell you where your at! :D

That would be Dango, not Dillinger would it not ??--I ttoook myy ppill I'm bbetterer !:D