Gunsmith Schooling
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Gunsmith Schooling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Gunsmith Schooling

I'm thinking of taking an at home/online gunsmith class. Any pro's or con's for any specific schools?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 AM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do not know anything about gun smithing but in my opinion I don't think a class at home on line is a good idea. I would want a class for hands on experience. I am not saying on line classes aren't any good but something like that I would not do on line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3489 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off - Welcome to the FTF Community.

A lot of the members here would suggest that new members stop by the Introduction Section and introduce yourself to the membership. It is up to you if you wise to do that.

Now, you live in Wisconsin according to your info at the left the screen?

Wisconsin has some of the BEST barrel makers ON THE PLANET!

If you are serious, I would do some research in your area. If there is a traditional gun shop or barrel maker in your area, I would pull a "Shaolin Trainee" if I was you.

That means you show up in the morning, you ask "Pretty please may I" and if he says no, you clean the steps around you ( in your case shovel the snow ) and you wait untl the Master leaves, upon which you again ask "Pretty please may I".

Seriously, there are some GREAT gunsmiths in your part of the world, I would look to apprentice under one of the masters.

It will beat on line 250,000 to 1 all day, every day.

JD

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

@RugerShootinGal, this class is just for me to learn, not to become my profession, so that's why I was going to invest in the online class. If I don't use it then I didn't waste a ton of time or money. Plus I can go at my own pace. I work full time at a factory (40-50 hrs per week) and I am going to be taking machining classes soon through a tech school, so time is limited.

@Dillinger, I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I'm almost 30, married, proud owner of 10 rescue animals, and I make a decent living at my job. The only steps I shovel for free are the little old ladies next door and the only person I say pretty please to is my wife . In my area there are not a lot of well known gunsmiths and the only store that sells firearms is a dunhams. I would love to learn firsthand, but as mentioned above I do not have the time to invest into that type of commitment. This is purely because I want to know for my own personal firearms. If I really get into this then I may ask someone more knowledgeable for lessons down the road, at least then I will have a good grip on the theory so I can put it into practice.

There are a ton of different schools that offer the classes and they all look pretty similar, I was just curious if anyone had a really good/poor experience with any of them?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 AM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh o.k. well I see now maybe if you try out the on line class then u may like it and then go to a class. Hope it works out for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered