Gunshow craziness - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gunshow craziness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I've only been to shows in Las Vegas and Reno and the LV shows are all the same even though there are different promoters.

I don't think the problem is anyone else selling guns, but the anti-gunshow people around who make it difficult for many venues to hold them. That and the endless displays of non gun related merchandise!

I go looking for guns, but I've only bought one. I have to go on the last day because of work and many of the dealers have started to pack up when I get there.

It seems that the same vendors are there each time, I always wonder why they keep coming back when I never see anything go out the door?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gunshow Crazyness

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I can side on both sides of the GUN SHOW Isle? While, no one wants a show of overpriced goods? However, I have seen just the oppisite, Shows with a lot of good dealers and Prices, but the guy who comes in the door, with $5.00 in his pocket? How in the heck do I sell him a gun?

I have gotten a lot of geed deals from dealers, as the public wants to act like a bunch of cheap folks with NO DESIRE TO BUY ANYTHING? Remember, the door swings both ways? Dealers go to sell, Buy and Trade, they need to make $, if they don't the shows go down hill as we see now?

Most of my best buys have been from Guys or gals who walked in the door, But others by dealers clearing out of business? Why is that? Are the Prices too High, or are the folks too cheep?

Keep those things in mind, when you shop your local gunshow!

RON

Old 05-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #13

I hear ya, Ron.

There are only two gun-shows per year up here. One in the late fall, but a
big one in Easter. This year, I spent over $500.00 CAD at the Easter Show
and walked out with a perfectly fitting USAF Bomber Jacket, a decent pair
of suspenders for one of my uniforms, and best of all, a Martini-Henry 450-570
Rifle in shootable condition.

You're right though. How do you sell anything to someone with $5.00 in their
jeans? Or how do you deal with the tire-kickers? Simple....just make sure
you carry a bunch of peripheral crap that costs you a dime that you can sell
for a dollar (get this...there was somebody at this show selling cammo-
condums, the catch line was "make sure they don't see you coming..") and
just smile at the tire-kickers...hell, you just might be able to get something...
anything...from 'em.

Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:52 AM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Five dollars in my pocket??? I'll have you know I had much more than five dollars when I left the house.

Lessee: paid for parking, paid to get in, bought supersized drinks in wildlife shaped plastic cup, found nice "Indian Princess" plate the wife wanted, had to get the teriyaki-habanero flavored jerky, couldn't pass up the John Wayne (John Wain) collectable fake True Grit picture, completed the crystal set we bought for a wedding gift, signed up to buy a new smoker, wife had to try the vibrating chair, and get the special massage, added to our Indian jewelry collection, rounded out the square dance wardrobe, etc, etc, etc...........

Oh, yeah, guns. Er, got anything for five bucks?

In reality I have ideas for what I want, but I can't afford the higher prices. I know the sellers need to make a profit but I bought a Garand from the CMP for $500, an '03 Springfield for $400 and now a carbine for $500. Every gun show has the same guy selling tables full of M1s, '03s, '17s, and carbines. The lowest price is $2500. What does he hope to get out of this?

I've seen new in box Winchesters priced for around $600, but I can find them on the auction sites for less. Why pay the extra when that doesn't seem to be the going price today. I can understand for vintage, but not new.

When I bought my Makarov from a show I know from my research that I paid $20 more than what the going rate was. I didn't care because I have no intention of selling it. I'm fine with that, but I can't pay a premium because the seller wants to get more money out of the deal.

Thanks for your input Ron L.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Gunshow maddness?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Thanks for all the folks that replied to my post and many of you who agree with me or dis-agree raise valid points! I said I was on BOTH sides of the GUN SHOW Madness, I do agree, many of my fellow dealers have lost thier Mind and Price the stuff! I also see a lot of good dealer, who price thier stuff well, leaving! The Guy wityh the $5.00 in his pocket, used to be the rare one, the one you'd hassle with and he'd leave? Now, at many shows here, he's your majority? I sell mostly surplus, with an occasional concignment item for someone so I see it, but not near as much as other dealers do? I have my share of Tire Kickers, as one fellow called them, and if you can't affoard a $1.00 P-38 Canopener, what are ya doing at a show, other than to look?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #16

Doubtless all you folks have tales to tell regarding gunshows. I regularly attend shows all over the Southwest but most in the DFW metroplex.( Dallas, Ft Worth, TX ) It has been my experience that if you are intent upon finding a particular firearm, you usually can. Most folks don't do enough negotiating with dealers to really make a deal (close). They don't possess the knowledge of negotiating. I NEVER have paid the "Advertised" price on a hang tag from a dealer or a private individual. Cash in hand is a big persuader!

Have a game plan. Do research on the firearm.Condition is everything in a used arm.Find out current pricing of local retailers. Use the internet to get information. Be persistant! Knowledge of a particular firearm's worth is essential. Some times you can make deals where none existed by your attitude. Don't have a "know it all" attitude, but be open to pass on your knowledge to the dealer. It can reap dividends!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:45 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Some times you can make deals where none existed by your attitude. Don't have a "know it all" attitude, but be open to pass on your knowledge to the dealer. It can reap dividends!
That's one of the best things I have read here in a while!! Attitude is a plus or a minus with anyone at a show. It never hurts to "butter the bread" once in a while.

I have found that some guys like to think they know better than you about EVERYTHING and, even if they don't, let them talk and brag a little!! All the while they do this, listen and don't straighten them out on little things. Just stand there looking at that $600 Winny and you just might get it for $500 when the dealing comes into play!!

MarMac

Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #18

Marmac, you are right on! My problem is usually not having the cash when I REALLY need it!