Guns for post-apocalyptic story
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns for post-apocalyptic story

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Guns for post-apocalyptic story

I realize this may or may not be the best place to ask this question, but it was the first thing that came up when I googled Firearm forum and I was too lazy to shop around

So, I'm going to begin writing a novel. It takes place in an alternate version of the US that has been destroyed by chemical warfare and bombings. The story takes place in the early 2000s, but the bombings and such occured in the mid 1980s. What I've come here for is ideas for weapons that the main characters could use. I want the imagery to be ultra stylized, with mixed western and sci-fi influences and with the characters toting lots of obscure, odd looking real world guns. So, what guns do you think would be visually appropriate for such a set-up?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, Welcome to the FTF Community. Some of the regulars might like you to stop by the Introductions and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that up to you.

So, an aspiring writer and you want some weapons advice?

This world will be both Western and Sci-Fi? Will you have a group or a couple of lone gunslingers??

Your people will need a mix of short and long guns.

One piece that I think would be cool would be a Schofield top break revolver. Customized with ivory grips, stainless, and a fancy leather crossdraw rig.

Who will the enemies be in this alter universe? Other survivors who are looking to take what little your team has? Mutants? Aliens?

I'm asking because the "type" of adversary would dictate what I personally would look for in weapons.

Let's say my enemy is like zombies, driven by lust for fresh meat, but attracted to sound. Obviously I would want a crossbow, a couple of silencer equipped rifles or sub machine guns and large caliber pistols as a last resort.

Now, if noise isn't an issue because it's going to be fight or flee at every encounter?

I would pick something epic like an H&K 417 with a 100rd drum mag, twin 1911's customized for me and a room clearing shotgun.

Give us some vision of what you want and we will see if we can help.

JD

Old 04-20-2011, 11:22 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Please stop by the introductions section so we can get to know you better
Let's see... odd looking guns. You might start by going to an online gun store like Impactguns.com and browse through their selection, then do some googling to make sure your choices for firearms were in production during the time period in which your story is set.
Another good source of information would be a book such as Gun Traders Guide or Gun Digest.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Any thing it's your story. Anything that shoots bullets

Old 04-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #5

Thanks for your advice so far.

Dillinger: The main characters are a small group of 3-4 living in an RV. Their main adversaries will be looters, with rare occurences of mutants. All kinds of weapons will be used by the team on a regular basis. I don't want any help with side arms, because pistols tend to be "hero guns" that fit the character's personality and skills. I want their arsenals to be filled with obscure, somewhat random guns if all types and time eras, from muskets to bullpup assault weapons.Obviously, I'd like specific models. Also, I also want suggestions for sci-fi/spaceage looking guns.

Last edited by Heavy; 04-21-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Heavy, google Wildey firearms. Here's a start: .475 Wildey Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy View Post
Than I want their arsenals to be filled with obscure, somewhat random guns to bullpup assault weapons.Obviously, I'd like specific models. Also, I also want suggestions for sci-fi/spaceage looking guns.
I give you the brain child of one of our very own forum members' father.

The Leader .50

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/leader-50-bmg-39038/

I have held this weapon and it is AWESOME!!

Old 04-21-2011, 01:29 AM   #8

For nostalgia's sake, I would add a Thompson .45 ACP Chicago Typewriter with the 100 round drum.

The AA-12. The world's most awesome shotgun. You might have seen it in The Expendables or on Future Weapons. A definite end of the world MUST HAVE!!

The KRISS Super V submachine gun. Full auto with an Eotech holosight. Chambered in .45 ACP, it's convenient, accurate and deadly.

JD

Old 04-21-2011, 02:09 AM   #9
MGH

There's the new Kel-Tec KSG shotgun. It's got a pretty unique look to it.

Oh, BTW welcome Heavy.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:15 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would include at least the AR-15 Chainsaw...

Or my favorite - the Hello Kitty Chainsaw Zombie Dispatcher...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!