Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That surprises me actually. I would not have taken the Mormon Religion for being so interested in modern firearm defense. Good for them! Right on Utah.

JD

Modern firearm defense? Utah=Mormon Religion?

Come on, guys. Utah is not stuck in the 19th century like many people may think. Utah's population is only about 65% LDS. The "Mormon Religion" does not make the laws in Utah. If you would like to know how things are run in Utah, I might suggest visiting sometime. Please don't make blind assumptions. Statements like that only show a lack of familiarity with the subject.

Besides, my interest in "modern firearms defense" is based on the simple fact that it takes too long to reload the old cap 'n ball and the black powder fills the house with too much smoke. My horse and buggy broke down, so I have to now travel by those "modern" 4-wheeled metal thingies that I think other people call cars or trucks.

If you ever have the opportunity to visit Utah, send me a PM and I'd be glad to meet up with you and show you around. We have some great elk hunting. Have you heard of the "Spidey" bull elk taken last month? Yep, he was taken in Utah. A green score of approximately 500! If it holds up, that will blow the old world record out by a considerable distance. We often have mule deer taken with 30" wide racks and weighing over 230 lbs. The waterfowl hunting (my favorite) is pretty decent as well. For a state that is that far behind the times, I'd say we are doing pretty well.

And, by the way, did you know Utah's CCW is one of the most widely accepted and acknowledged in the nation? I wonder why that might be.

Sorry for the sidetrack on the thread. I think it is great that Texas may soon join Utah in the 21st century as one of the few states that actually do allow concealed carry at the public universities and colleges.

Last edited by stick_man; 10-24-2008 at 03:07 AM.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
What I don't want to see is Open Carry without a license. Guns are not for everyone...
What makes you say this? Technically, you can carry a shotgun in your trucks gun rack if you claim you are going to a range, gun shop, home, vacation home, etc. Very easy to excuse. Why would open carry be any different? They obviously passed the NICBS, so they're not criminals. And with the weapon exposed it could not be easily hidden from a police officer, in the case that the carrier is doing something illegal. Also, if more people open carry, it could very well instill a fear in those who rob grocery stores, gas stations, etc. If they see guns everywhere, who knows who else might have one?

BTW, PA is an open carry state, with the only weapons permits required are for CCW. And the only high crime area is Phila., where the gun laws are much more strict.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar3389 View Post
What makes you say this? Technically, you can carry a shotgun in your trucks gun rack if you claim you are going to a range, gun shop, home, vacation home, etc. Very easy to excuse. Why would open carry be any different? They obviously passed the NICBS, so they're not criminals. And with the weapon exposed it could not be easily hidden from a police officer, in the case that the carrier is doing something illegal. Also, if more people open carry, it could very well instill a fear in those who rob grocery stores, gas stations, etc. If they see guns everywhere, who knows who else might have one?

BTW, PA is an open carry state, with the only weapons permits required are for CCW. And the only high crime area is Phila., where the gun laws are much more strict.
I don't want people that have zero formal knowledge of firearms carrying one in public. I also don't want people that have no proof of competence and mental stability walking around with a gun on their person.

*** Prove to me you can safely handle a firearm and you have no criminal history, then I will be OK with you walking around with a gun...***