Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/guns-may-allowed-texas-colleges-5438/)

sculker 07-07-2008 10:41 PM

Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges

Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges

:eek:
By ANNA M. TINSLEY
atinsley@star-telegram.com
Texans might soon be able to pack heat on college campuses.

That is just one of several proposals that could reach lawmakers next year as they ó and legislators nationwide ó explore broadening some gun laws.

"It addresses personal protection," said state Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland, who heads the House committee that considers gun bills. "People who do things [like the Virginia Tech shooting] basically know they are walking into a gun-free zone.

"They are cowards . . . facing people not allowed to fight back."

Lawmakers could set their sights on several proposals next year in the wake of the recent historic Supreme Court ruling that determined that Americans have a right to own guns for hunting and self-defense.

Communities nationwide are doing the same thing.

Changes are already under way in some states, such as Florida, where employees may now lock guns in their cars even on private property, and Georgia, where pistols are now allowed in state parks and restaurants and on public transportation.

And lawsuits have already been filed challenging some city rules ó including one in Chicago that bans possessing a gun in the city and one in San Francisco that bans handguns in public housing.

Texas likely wonít end up in the litigation fray, said James Dark, executive director of the Texas State Rifle Association.

"It is questionable whether there are any Texas laws strict enough to warrant court scrutiny," he said. "Our laws are not restrictive enough."

But anti-gun groups are working to counter future legislation nationwide, already boosting fundraising efforts to fight more challenges.

"We have our work cut out for us, but I know we can beat the gun lobby in court," Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, wrote in a recent letter to supporters. "We have common sense on our side. And, with the Brady Centerís legal expertise and years of experience, we can and will help defend gun laws that protect you, your family and your community."

Texas laws

A law enacted in 1995 gave Texans the right to carry concealed weapons if they get a permit. More than 290,000 Texans now have permits, Department of Public Safety records show.

Driver said lawmakers probably wonít embrace an open-carry approach, despite an online petition now signed by more than 18,000 Texans.

"If thatís what a majority of the people want, we would consider it," he said. "Iím not going for that at this point. . . . but I wonít work against it.

"I believe we ought to be able to protect ourselves however we can."

College campuses

Driver said he may propose a campus personal protection act to let those with concealed handgun permits carry guns at colleges.

"Weíre trying to provide students, faculty, visitors, anyone with a concealed handgun license the ability to protect themselves and at times protect others," he said.

A professor recently testified on the issue before a legislative committee, saying he is responsible for making sure students get out of the building safely if thereís a fire, tornado or other dangerous situation.

"But he said heís tasked ó if somebody starts shooting students ó with hiding under his desk," Driver said.

Utah is the only state so far to allow weapons at all public universities.

Workplace safety

Another proposal that may go to lawmakers next year would let holders of concealed-handgun licenses lock their guns in a secure area at work, perhaps their vehicleís glove compartment or in the office.

Texas law now prohibits guns in places such as government buildings and lets private businesses ban weapons on their property.

"I think itís always time in Texas to address the gun laws," Driver said. "We are slowly moving along, trying to make sure everyone understands why we want these bills passed, why we want to let people protect themselves."

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/744093.html

Dillinger 07-08-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 30801)
"We have our work cut out for us, but I know we can beat the gun lobby in court," Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, wrote in a recent letter to supporters. "We have common sense on our side. And, with the Brady Centerís legal expertise and years of experience, we can and will help defend gun laws that protect you, your family and your community."

What?! Did I miss a memo? When has Sarah Brady, or any of her ilk, been to my neighborhood to answer a 911 call? How, EXACTLY, are you protecting me and my family?? I have worked in some of the highest crime ridden parts of the country and have NEVER seen anyone from their side of the fence keeping me safe in the late night & early morning hours...

Quote:

That surprises me actually. I would not have taken the Mormon Religion for being so interested in modern firearm defense. Good for them! Right on Utah.

JD

c3shooter 07-08-2008 04:43 PM

As far as the Mormons go, have had several LDS members in the military/ LEO, and they are anything BUT pacifist. Texas appears to have an outbreak of comon sense. Very uncommon for the world of Academia. The liberals that oppose things like this are try to spread the image of a college student as being a 19 yr old beer swilling frat boy. Think about it- you have a BUNCH of young folks that will be coming home from duty in Iraq and Afghaistan, and going to school on the GI Bill. Go ahead, tell them you don't think they are mature enuff to be "trusted" with a firearm. I'll just wait over here while you do that...:rolleyes:

BTW, there are times that I may be a college student. Will take a course now and again to retain some engineer certifications. I am retired from the US Army, have 7 grandkids, a security clearance, a concealed weapons license, a Federal Firearms License, a Federal Explosives license, and have instructed in firearms use since 1968. So...... going to college makes me unsafe with a sidearm, I guess. :confused:

Dillinger 07-08-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 30863)
Go ahead, tell them you don't think they are mature enuff to be "trusted" with a firearm. I'll just wait over here while you do that...:rolleyes:

Okay. That made me laugh out loud in the office and garnered more than a couple of odd looks...

Well played sir, well played!

JD

gregs887 07-09-2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sculker (Post 30801)

With some of the most restrictive alcohol laws I have ever see. Interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 30853)
I have worked in some of the highest crime ridden parts of the country and have NEVER seen anyone from their side of the fence keeping me safe in the late night & early morning hours...

Let me guess, Hilltop?

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 30863)
So...... going to college makes me unsafe with a sidearm, I guess. :confused:

But didn't you know? We are all stupid and the libbies know that so we should elect them to think for us :rolleyes:

coltm4 07-09-2008 07:35 PM

all state owned univesities and colleges in NY have their own university police dept. i work for one of the larger ones. we're talking 40,000 people on over 1100 acres. it's literally a small city with 2 of it's own power plants and a large hospital. the best recorded police response to an active shooter was 6 minutes (some school out west). that's a great response time but unfortunately most active shooter incidents last between 3 and 5 minutes. now all of us on this forum know that a lot of rounds can be fired in 3 to 5 minutes. the only viable solution is to allow concealed carry on college campuses. i hope texas passes the law and blazes the trail for other states.

Dillinger 07-09-2008 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregs887 (Post 31047)
Let me guess, Hilltop?

Hilltop in '98 & '99
North Indianapolis in '99-'00
Chicago in '00
Sacramento in '02
Oakland in '02-'03

Yeah - No one else was ever there to make sure we ( myself and my traveling band of piece meal workers ) were safe with all the early morning, dark hours only, no street closure during daylight restrictions. It was me and five guys, half with military training, on our own and in the dark.

I bet most people don't know that a 1911 pistol will perfectly fit in a standard size first aid box that can be found on any bucket truck or utility vehicle in the country. No one ever questions why you have it on the seat with you, no one ever questions why you have it in your tool bag, and no one ever wants to look inside. Your welcome. :D:cool::D

JD

truevil1313 10-23-2008 01:20 PM

I love the point about military folks comming home and going to school. I am one of them! I have been well trained in tactics and shooting, and know how to defend myself and others. I spent 9 months in Iraq, and now I go to school full time using my GI bill. I also have had my CCL for 11 years now, and have never needed to draw my pistol, but after the Virginia Tech deal, I started breaking the law, and carried on campus. The way i look at it, is my weapon has to be concealed anyway, so as long as nothing goes bad, no one will ever know I am armed, and if something does go bad, i think a grand jury would not press charges on me if i helped to save the lives of college students. I may be off base on this, but i carry in school, and just about anywhere that doesn't have a metal detector.

Mark F 10-23-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truevil1313 (Post 46727)
I love the point about military folks comming home and going to school. I am one of them! I have been well trained in tactics and shooting, and know how to defend myself and others. I spent 9 months in Iraq, and now I go to school full time using my GI bill. I also have had my CCL for 11 years now, and have never needed to draw my pistol, but after the Virginia Tech deal, I started breaking the law, and carried on campus. The way i look at it, is my weapon has to be concealed anyway, so as long as nothing goes bad, no one will ever know I am armed, and if something does go bad, i think a grand jury would not press charges on me if i helped to save the lives of college students. I may be off base on this, but i carry in school, and just about anywhere that doesn't have a metal detector.

I have no problem with that... Places that DON'T ALLOW GUNS seem to attract scum-bags and opportunists. It's much easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to get approval.

Mark F 10-23-2008 02:53 PM

In regard to the "original" post, I have mixed emotions about it. I am a Licensed Conceal Carry Native Texan. I personally prefer Conceal Carry over Open Carry. My policy is, If someone can't see my gun, then it doesn't cause alarm or start a pissing match. However, I did sign the Open Carry Petition. Because I would like to see "Open Carry" as a personal preference for those that are "Licensed". I also approve of Licensed Conceal Carry in Texas collages. What I don't want to see is Open Carry without a license. Guns are not for everyone...