Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns- how old?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I introduced both my son and my daughter (who was a better shot than my son) to guns when they were 8 and 10 yrs. old. I made them memorize the gun safety syllabus before even handling a gun. My daughter lost interest, but my son didn't. I bought him a single shot Marlin .22 when he was 9. He was not allowed to shoot it unless I was present, and he was never given any ammo for it. He was allowed to keep it in his room and handle it and clean it. During the hunting season I was able to leave a fully loaded muzzleloader on the dining room table with no fear of either of my kids ever touching it without asking permission. I had a range in my backyard, so we shot often and it became second nature and held no "mystique". At 10 I bought him a single shot 20 ga. H&R, and at 16 I bought him a Henry .22 lever action. If you take the mystery out of guns at an early age, generally there are no problems later in life, and you have added a new member to the ranks of hunters and sportsmen that exemplify our American culture, or at least used to!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-18-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #12
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
Have heard but not confirmed that some Chinese school children aged 8 years are issued with air rifles.They are taught how to use them responsibly,and anyone who misbehaves is demoted in class with severe loss of face.Wonder if it would work in the western world.
Many schools ban dodge ball and tag because they're too "warlike" and "violently competitive" (those were the words used by a teacher at my son's former school). It would be great if schools taught proper firearm handling, how to shoot and how to maintain a firearm. It's not going to happen anytime soon on any large scale.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Many schools ban dodge ball and tag because they're too "warlike" and "violently competitive" (those were the words used by a teacher at my son's former school). It would be great if schools taught proper firearm handling, how to shoot and how to maintain a firearm. It's not going to happen anytime soon on any large scale.
Especially not since schools are bastions of Liberal/So-ciali-st mind control.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #14

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I to was introduced to firearms at a very young age. Like RL did with his kids I had to memorize the safety rules. I had to know how to line up front and rear sights with the target as well as know how to clean my gun first before every firing a single shot.

It is not unhealthy to be very intrested in firearms. I have been that way since 6 years old. My son is now starting to show intrest in my guns. So it is not time to teach him the safety rules and get him out on the range.

I would really go to the range with him a few times to make sure he is handeling the firearms with respect and responsiability. ext best thing to do is this once you determin that he is safe and responciable enough to shoot firearms you need to go buy his own doesn't have to cost $5000 just a good old 22lr for him to plink with. Should do him good support him and don't have such a negitive look on firearms. There are plenty o us on here that are head over heals nuts over guns you would not know it untill you asked us a gun question. We are normal people with normal jobs. I for one work in the IT Field so we come from all over.

I get the feeling that guns scare you. I may be wrong but they are just chunks of metal and wood or plastic or both.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #15

Thanks - well, he's changed a lot over the last two years. Far more right wing, far more sure of himself - and he looks different too. He's taken up with some new friends who have influenced him heavily and who talk about guns in a scary way. He's just trying to be the tough guy!

Last edited by Nielz; 06-18-2008 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Remove pics

Old 06-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielz View Post
Thanks - well, he's changed a lot over the last two years. Far more right wing, far more sure of himself - and he looks different too. He's taken up with some new friends who have influenced him heavily and who talk about guns in a scary way. He's just trying to be the tough guy!
Being more sure of himself is scary???? I guess you mean cocky? Know it all? Or he just doesn't accept everything you do? In reality it seems that he's just growing up and becoming his own man, no longer a boy.

Please let us know what you mean by "talk about guns in a scary way." If he's talking about randomly shooting people, or engaging in criminal activity, or planning a massacre, then you have something to worry about. If you mean he understands guns are used to defend ourselves, our families, our neighbors, and our country, and he's willing to take on the responsibility that gun ownership entails, then perhaps you may need more education about guns.

Honestly, I don't mean to be rude, but this last post of yours seems to indicate you buy in to all the leftist, America hating, anti-gun drivel those who want to destroy our rights put out. Why would your son becoming right leaning be scary to you? Because he doesn't believe in statist twaddle coming from the likes of Harry Reid, Feinstein, Pelosi, and the False Messiah brothers Al and Barry?

If he is not into hate and the desire to hurt people with guns or intimidate them, then consider yourself lucky, for your dear sir or madam have raised a boy into a MAN!

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #17

I understand.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought politics into this discussion.

His attitudes, beliefs and appearance have all changed radically since his involvement with these new friends. He's welcome to choose all those things, of course, but I sometimes think they're leading him.

It's great to see him more confident and sure of himself, but sometimes when it comes to firearms he talks like an idiot. Most people with guns behave properly, but there are exceptions. I've ried to talk to him about the seriousness of it - and I think I can understand that it's important not to pass my own fears on to him.

I think he'll be OK. A lot of the tough guy talk is just that - talk. But I want to learn with him.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielz View Post
I understand.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought politics into this discussion.

His attitudes, beliefs and appearance have all changed radically since his involvement with these new friends. He's welcome to choose all those things, of course, but I sometimes think they're leading him.

It's great to see him more confident and sure of himself, but sometimes when it comes to firearms he talks like an idiot. Most people with guns behave properly, but there are exceptions. I've ried to talk to him about the seriousness of it - and I think I can understand that it's important not to pass my own fears on to him.

I think he'll be OK. A lot of the tough guy talk is just that - talk. But I want to learn with him.
Keep an eye on things, be open and honest with him about firearms, and if you can get to the range and have him learn firearm safety and proper shooting techniques, that would be great.

You be the judge of the nature of his "tough talk". If you want to share what he's been saying, great. If not, that's understandable.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #19

They're just jokes he's been saying. It's pathetic really, but hardly something to joke about!

His whole life has turned around since he took up with this gang - and he looks so different that his old friends don't recognise him!

Old 06-20-2008, 04:54 AM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tell you what guy,
When I was 17, I had already tried pcp, mushrooms and hash, in addition I was smoking pot on a many-times-a-day basis. For some reason that has escaped me for about 25 years, I also hated both of my parents. I never did anything bad to either of them, but I distrusted both of them (maybe just the drugs).I used to think my old man was a sucker, always working hard to earn money to buy things the family needed. I figured there had to be an easy way, I started breaking the law soon after leaving home at 18, and was generally a worry if not a problem for my parents for years.
Seems to me that teaching your kid responsibility with a gun is a lesson best learned as a youngster. Please do not furnish your boy the materials he might need to begin a crime wave- not just for the innocent victims, but also for your own peace of mind.
Good Luck