Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns found in workbench.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It was in the forum that the owner of new owner of the place contacted the "authorities" how they did it, and exactly what process they used, I don't know.

What I WOULD LIKE to do in a given situation, may not always be the LEGAL thing to do.

If I found something like that, none if you would know about it, it would disappear quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Hopefully he will get them back, less the receivers so he can get parts money out of them. That is all they are good for if they are not transferable. I would imagine that is why they were hidden.

He was lucky to find them, and did the correct thing. Suppose he had a house fire in three or five years and low and behold, a bunch of unregistered machine guns found daylight to outside eyes. It would be damn difficult to prove that you didn't know they were there.

That stuff can cause people to lose many years of their lives to prison and never be able to own another firearm.

If he had kept them and kept quite, what could he have done with them? Sure as hell couldn't take them to the range to rock and roll. It is easy to build a machine gun, it is hard to do the time for building a machine gun.

Several years ago an co-worker found an unregistered Thompson in a dead relatives attic, a WWII vet, and was trying to sell it. As much as I would love to have a Thompson, I wouldn't go within a block of the thing. My suggestion to him was take the receiver to the deepest hole he could find in the Gulf and drop it in, then sell the parts for what he could get for them.

It just aint worth it.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Gents- do you have any idea HOW heartbreaking it would be to find a stash like that? I mean REALLY heartbreaking.

If the full autos (and without seeing the other side, cannot tell if that is an M1A or M14) have not already BEEN registered, they cannot BE registered. Ever. You are looking at enough Federal felony time right there to put a good part of this entire FORUM in the clink for a LOOOOOOOONG time. Egad.

Sob! Weep! Gnashing of teeth! Rending of garments!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 983 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1776

I dont know this so Im going to ask , what about a person with the proper FFL , Could they legally own any of these guns ?

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #14

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Oh there would still be hoops to jump through, but the automatics, unless they had already been registered (doubtful) can not be registered now. So, yes, if they were previously registered, its possible.

The semis, I don't think it would even be necessary to report those, but it may vary by state law.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:28 AM   #15

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I dont know this so Im going to ask , what about a person with the proper FFL , Could they legally own any of these guns ?
If they have a class three license and the papers showing they brought back the weapons legally

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Gents- a brief explanation- there is no such thing as a "Class III license" unless you mean the license a dealer in machineguns has.

In order to possess a machinegun in the US, the gun must already have been registered with the BATFE by May of 1986. NO ADDITIONAL machineguns can be registered to a private citizen after that date- so IF those were not already registered, they cannot BE registered.

MGs that have been registered CAN be transferred to another private citizen by going thru a Dealer that has paid the Special Occupational Tax to be a MG dealer. You will pay a one time $200 tax on each gun, but you do not get a "license".

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 PM   #17

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Gents- a brief explanation- there is no such thing as a "Class III license" unless you mean the license a dealer in machineguns has.

In order to possess a machinegun in the US, the gun must already have been registered with the BATFE by May of 1986. NO ADDITIONAL machineguns can be registered to a private citizen after that date- so IF those were not already registered, they cannot BE registered.

MGs that have been registered CAN be transferred to another private citizen by going thru a Dealer that has paid the Special Occupational Tax to be a MG dealer. You will pay a one time $200 tax on each gun, but you do not get a "license".
That is the liscence i was refering to.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #18

Liked 972 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 535

hmm. i think i woulda...... dropped a a load in my drawers. and then who knows. it would be a tough choice. i would hope they could go to a museum or something

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 151 Times on 90 Posts

Breaks my heart

Old 12-14-2011, 12:39 AM   #20

Nice vortex find! I Never thought about running into anyone familiar w/ that site here.
And DAMN!

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual..."

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)