Guns in the apartment - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Guns in the apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

This, right here; the squeaky wheel often gets greased.
I pulled up the lease online at work today (it's in a PDF format online) abs read through everything about them coming in our rooms. They have to give 24 hour notice if it's to show the room for future people as a model and 48 hour for everything else like maintenance, etc but they have to give notice unless nobody is there any it's an emergency like leaving the stove on which some bonehead did a few months ago at the owners other complex

Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
I pulled up the lease online at work today (it's in a PDF format online) abs read through everything about them coming in our rooms. They have to give 24 hour notice if it's to show the room for future people as a model and 48 hour for everything else like maintenance, etc but they have to give notice unless nobody is there any it's an emergency like leaving the stove on which some bonehead did a few months ago at the owners other complex
It has been my experience that not all landlord agencies really follow their rules to the letter. When a buddy was shopping for a quadplex, he toured many, many units that did not appear to have gotten notice. When i had a pet snake, i found that the maintenance people started following the "notice" rule to the letter, after their first visit. Your experience may differ.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 338 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Default Squeaky Wheel

Yes/No - I have known several apt mgrs and they are finely tuned to any sign of trouble and it is imperative to get on their "good side." Once there, they will look the other way and even warn you if a zero tolerance BS is coming down the pike. Be a good Tenent for 6 mths, pay on time, be courteous to all, keep noise down etc.

Remember, a$$holes outnumber good people 20 to 1 so it essential to be counted as part of the ONE crowd. Once there, you can enquire as to why the policy is in place - no one wants to see the 20 armed - receipe for disaster and probably why the policy is in place.

No apt complex likes to see good people leave, if enough of you fail to renew your lease and let them know why, politely, you can effect change.

If your caught w a gun it can be seen as a violation of your lease and cost you your security deposit. Friends living together is a great way to test a friendship even if entered into w the best of intentions.

Law schools often have students do pro bono work for people. I'd contact one and put myself in the que. knowing your options & assoc penalties allows you to make informed decisions.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #34

Liked 1417 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
If your caught w a gun it can be seen as a violation of your lease and cost you your security deposit. Friends living together is a great way to test a friendship even if entered into w the best of intentions.
You are totally correct on living together being a test of friendship. In my experience food issues can be the biggest problem. If you are the type of person who makes food and your roommates are the types who eat leftovers you can be in for some tough times. It's best to be upfront and honest about complaints because if you let an issue stew inside then by the time you address it you will have 10 issues to bitch about to your friends. It's similar to a marriage in many ways, you need to lay down the rules for common areas and rules for food and who is responsible for what. It's not fun to be that guy who brings up all these issues but talking about them now can save you a huge headache and loss of friendship down the line.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ Yunus is right; you should never assume that your new roomies have ever had to do anything for themselves, like cook, clean, buy toilet paper, etc. You don't need to tell them how, just to be aware that you may not be able to count on them 100% to act like they are house-trained.

I mean, c'mon, people need to know how to bury their own dead hookers and such, good grief.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #36

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I mean, c'mon, people need to know how to bury their own dead hookers and such, good grief.
Good thing dad taught me that when I was young.. I mean...uh.. How to tie my shoes! Yeah that's it!

Old 06-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #37

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've tried living with roommates a couple of times, each time fistfights werent uncommon.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #38

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Not to be a 'stick in the mud', but if you sign a contract, live by it. If you can't live by it, don't sign it & rent somewhere else.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #39

Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

My whole complex is strapped. Lol. Except for the lady on the third floor. All together we have maybe 25 pistols/long guns. But it's only a three story complex. Ain't nobody messing with us. And we are all close with each other. Good people. And we all get our ammo from luck gunner.com. Funny huh?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #40
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9082 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I would keep one defense gun in my room and have a deadbolt-locked door to my room (is there any prohibition to that in the lease?). The rest of the guns keep at the P's house.

I have heard of many cases where in a roommate living situation some of the guns were re-purposed into cash for some stupid reason (to buy beer) and nobody took any time to figure out whose gun was to be converted into beer (it is always the roomie who is not present for the discussion). I think I have one of those guns today (in my defense it didn't buy too much beer).

If you do keep a gun in your room, keep it locked up tight at all times unless you are sitting on top of it and sober.