Guns in the apartment - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Guns in the apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001 View Post
Well got off the phone with the manager. Apparently they didn't have to put "no firearms" in the lease since they have signs up around the buildings (never saw one when I was there) and they don't want guns since we're so close to campus and with the shuttle they don't want a chance of a weapon getting onto campus. Like that'll stop some stupid person in the first place... I'm just gonna have a lock box under my bed for "valuables" and leave my long guns at my parents home since its 5 miles away
if it isn't in writing in the lease than you are not contractually obligated to abide by it. if i were you i would ditch rooming with the others and look for your own place

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #22

Liked 461 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj

if it isn't in writing in the lease than you are not contractually obligated to abide by it. if i were you i would ditch rooming with the others and look for your own place
If I could afford it, I for sure would prefer doing that over anything. We're just gonna have our own safes of "valuables"

Old 06-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #23

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Well got off the phone with the manager. Apparently they didn't have to put "no firearms" in the lease since they have signs up around the buildings (never saw one when I was there) and they don't want guns since we're so close to campus and with the shuttle they don't want a chance of a weapon getting onto campus. Like that'll stop some stupid person in the first place... I'm just gonna have a lock box under my bed for "valuables" and leave my long guns at my parents home since its 5 miles away
I went to gunsmithing school in Oklahoma. Guns were allowed in the apt I shared with four other gunsmithing students. We did have one agreement that was suggested by an older student. We had a closet that we put a deadbolt on, whenever we had a party all guns were locked in the closet and the key was given to a girlfriend of one of the guys to hold(she didn't drink). No matter what the rules or your decision You are responsible for the safety of your weapon. All good intentions aside college parties get crazy, not everyone is mature and "accidents" happen to often.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe

I went to gunsmithing school in Oklahoma. Guns were allowed in the apt I shared with four other gunsmithing students. We did have one agreement that was suggested by an older student. We had a closet that we put a deadbolt on, whenever we had a party all guns were locked in the closet and the key was given to a girlfriend of one of the guys to hold(she didn't drink). No matter what the rules or your decision You are responsible for the safety of your weapon. All good intentions aside college parties get crazy, not everyone is mature and "accidents" happen to often.
We were going to originally do something like that before we found out about this stupid a$$ "rule" and probably will still do something like that or just take them to my parents house since everyone else is from out of town. On a side note, where did you go to school? I've thought about doing a gunsmith thing on the side for fun but have no idea how to get into it

Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #25

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
We were going to originally do something like that before we found out about this stupid a$$ "rule" and probably will still do something like that or just take them to my parents house since everyone else is from out of town. On a side note, where did you go to school? I've thought about doing a gunsmith thing on the side for fun but have no idea how to get into it
I went to gunsmithing school at Murray State Collage in Tishomingo. They have short programs in the summer now I believe. Its been a few decades since I went.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #26

Liked 1415 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 437

I would go back and look for these signs. If they are not easily visible then you should make the landlord make them more visible at a minimum and fight to break the lease at no cost to you at best.

Second is the landlord an individual or a company? If it's a company they probably follow the laws but if it's an individual I would bet money they do not. Your security deposit must be maintained in an escrow account, after you have been living there for a month or so ask your landlord for proof that your security deposit is being held in escrow with your name on the account, report them if it is not. The advantage of the escrow account is that if your landlord gets sued or goes bankrupt or whatever the money held in escrow is still potentially yours unless you damage the place, money held in a regular account would be gone.

/I am a landlord, Maryland makes me pay 3% simple interest on security deposits! OK does not I checked.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus
I would go back and look for these signs. If they are not easily visible then you should make the landlord make them more visible at a minimum and fight to break the lease at no cost to you at best.

Second is the landlord an individual or a company? If it's a company they probably follow the laws but if it's an individual I would bet money they do not. Your security deposit must be maintained in an escrow account, after you have been living there for a month or so ask your landlord for proof that your security deposit is being held in escrow with your name on the account, report them if it is not. The advantage of the escrow account is that if your landlord gets sued or goes bankrupt or whatever the money held in escrow is still potentially yours unless you damage the place, money held in a regular account would be gone.

/I am a landlord, Maryland makes me pay 3% simple interest on security deposits! OK does not I checked.
It's in an escrow, that was one of the first things they told us. And it's a company. They have multiple complexes around, this one was just the nicest and was furnished. Next time I'm over there, I'm gonna go look and just ask them about it.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #28

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

It's in an escrow, that was one of the first things they told us. And it's a company. They have multiple complexes around, this one was just the nicest and was furnished. Next time I'm over there, I'm gonna go look and just ask them about it.
I think id just leave it alone amd just keep your legally owned and possessed " valuable " secured where it wouldnt be seen in case maintenance comes in to change filters etc. Continuing to ask about it will red flag you. Just do what you do but leave the long guns elsewhere and be descret.

Old 06-13-2012, 04:41 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I love my landlord.
forumrunner_20120613_124117.jpg  

Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc View Post
I think id just leave it alone amd just keep your legally owned and possessed " valuable " secured where it wouldnt be seen in case maintenance comes in to change filters etc. Continuing to ask about it will red flag you. Just do what you do but leave the long guns elsewhere and be descret.
This, right here; the squeaky wheel often gets greased.