Guns in the apartment - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns in the apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus

Is this policy mentioned in the lease? What state are you in?
I'm in Oklahoma. And I don't believe so, I have to double check the lease when I get home

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc
I've never heard of a no gun policy in an apt complex, I think id carefully read your lease to see if its actually a co policy and not just the leasing agent just saying so. Sounds fishy. Now I am assuming they're regular apts, not some sort dorm housing.
They're just regular apartments, not associated with the college at all except they have a shuttle to and from and I believe that is it

Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #13

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

I've lived in plenty of apartments and rental houses and I've never once asked if my guns were allowed. That seems like a strange thing to question.

PS I live in CA, so I suppose if I asked the answer woluld be NO but why ask in the first place?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
I've lived in plenty of apartments and rental houses and I've never once asked if my guns were allowed. That seems like a strange thing to question.

PS I live in CA, so I suppose if I asked the answer woluld be NO but why ask in the first place?
We were gonna all chip in for a nice safe and just do it to begin with but one guys mom (she's antigun) called when she got wind of it for some reason

Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9736 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 1531

I am not a lawyer (we had one here for a while, but some of the questions y'all asked left him in a fetal position under his bed)

Nonetheless, would offer you 3 bits of wisdom-

1. If you know it is against the rules, don't. You can challenge the rules, but KNOWINGLY violating someone else's rule is never a good idea.

2. If you have not already read your lease, please do not take up reloading, scuba or skydiving. Those things require attention to detail. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN ANYTHING YOU HAVE NOT READ AND UNDERSTOOD. Unless someone is holding a loaded gun to your head.

3. In real estate, there is no such thing as an unwritten contract. The lease sets terms and conditions. Of course, you cannot break the law or damage the property, but unless it says "X" is not permitted- IN WRITING- it is not prohibited.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I am not a lawyer (we had one here for a while, but some of the questions y'all asked left him in a fetal position under his bed)

Nonetheless, would offer you 3 bits of wisdom-

1. If you know it is against the rules, don't. You can challenge the rules, but KNOWINGLY violating someone else's rule is never a good idea.

2. If you have not already read your lease, please do not take up reloading, scuba or skydiving. Those things require attention to detail. NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SIGN ANYTHING YOU HAVE NOT READ AND UNDERSTOOD. Unless someone is holding a loaded gun to your head.

3. In real estate, there is no such thing as an unwritten contract. The lease sets terms and conditions. Of course, you cannot break the law or damage the property, but unless it says "X" is not permitted- IN WRITING- it is not prohibited.
When we were signing, there was nothing in it about guns, neither having them or not, that was the one thing I looked for specifically. And on a side note to bit #2, I'm 3 classes and 15 dives away from my master diver

Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think it's complete BS. I would understand the rule "if it is the rule" but only if you were staying in campus apartments. It's reasonable not to have pets in some places because you're just renting, not buying and pets can piss off your land lords and neighbors. But NO guns. That's a load of crap. PROTECTION IS NEEDED!!!! If I was in your position I would buy some damn good locks for your front door and bed room door, strip down your rifles and shotguns, put them in a doufle bag along with your pistols and stash them really well under your bed. Good luck!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #18

Well got off the phone with the manager. Apparently they didn't have to put "no firearms" in the lease since they have signs up around the buildings (never saw one when I was there) and they don't want guns since we're so close to campus and with the shuttle they don't want a chance of a weapon getting onto campus. Like that'll stop some stupid person in the first place... I'm just gonna have a lock box under my bed for "valuables" and leave my long guns at my parents home since its 5 miles away

Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds like bologna.

If it isn't in writing along with your signature then I say go for it. I wouldn't strut around with my gun on my shoulder though - but you can bet your ass I'd be bringing a few with me. Discretion is your best bet , with your roommates as well.. Let them do their thing and you do yours.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:01 AM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shag what apts are you moving to, I'm from okc (years ago) and just curious. Pm me if you'd rather.