Guns in the apartment
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Guns in the apartment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Guns in the apartment

In August, I am moving out into an apartment with a few friends and we are all avid gun users but ones mom called to see if guns were allowed and they said no. Would any of y'all still take any? It's a gated complex but the gates are only shut at night and we are about a mile or two from the heart of the college campus in town

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would have one pistol or shotgun and have it secured (lockbox) at all times. I would NOT mention it to any of the others in the apartment or to others who might be in my home.

Based on my experience with group living, make sure you have a private space to call your own and put a damn good lock on your door (you can swap back for move out).

I am assuming you have no opportunity to move somewhere that allows firearms.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depends on your storage options. Take a defense option at least, regardless of apartment rules. I don't know if I would bring a full collection into a house with multiple college age roommates. Have a good place to lock up your firearm when you are not there.

I had one with me in my college apartment, but that was when I either lived alone or with my girlfriend. I stayed with buddies for a year and didn't have one in the apartment during that drunk fest.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I believe this has been discussed before and the consensus from all of us internet lawyers* was that while it may violate your lease unless there is a legal reason guns are not allowed you are only going to possibly be evicted not jailed. Careful though in some states violating a lease may have a penalty fee imposed against you by the landlord.

I would look elsewhere and let the apartment complex know why. if enough people vote with their wallet policies might change. Simply ignoring their rule is accepting their policies and encouraging them to keep it in effect.

*Fake internet lawyers

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #5

I thought I would bring my 1911 with me and stick it in a lock box under my bed and just leave it there unless i go to the range. The rest of my guns are all long guns and I would be able to leave at my parents house (across town). We've already got our rooms picked out and it is too late to choose a different place to live since our lease was signed a long time ago with no knowledge of this stupid rule.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I believe this has been discussed before and the consensus from all of us internet lawyers* was that while it may violate your lease unless there is a legal reason guns are not allowed you are only going to possibly be evicted not jailed. Careful though in some states violating a lease may have a penalty fee imposed against you by the landlord.

I would look elsewhere and let the apartment complex know why. if enough people vote with their wallet policies might change. Simply ignoring their rule is accepting their policies and encouraging them to keep it in effect.

*Fake internet lawyers
We would leave but it would cost us first months rent now and last months so that'd be about 900 at the least per person

Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Secure the lock box to something bigger than your door, and then secure the door. Locked doors can prevent MANY roommate issues without upesetting anybody who is remotely honest.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001

We would leave but it would cost us first months rent now and last months so that'd be about 900 at the least per person
Is this policy mentioned in the lease? What state are you in?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've never heard of a no gun policy in an apt complex, I think id carefully read your lease to see if its actually a co policy and not just the leasing agent just saying so. Sounds fishy. Now I am assuming they're regular apts, not some sort dorm housing.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus

Is this policy mentioned in the lease? What state are you in?
Not in writing? Not binding.