Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Gun Stored In Oven Discharges, 2 Young Boys Hurt (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gun-stored-oven-discharges-2-young-boys-hurt-3811/)

sculker 03-23-2008 07:39 AM

Gun Stored In Oven Discharges, 2 Young Boys Hurt

:mad:

Gun Stored In Oven Discharges, 2 Young Boys Hurt
Man Charged With Child Endangerment For Allegedly Storing Gun In Oven
CHICAGO (CBS) ― A man has been charged with child endangerment and unlawful gun use after a gun that he apparently kept in the oven went off and wounded two children in the Back of the Yards neighborhood.

Anthony Smith, 24, was charged with two counts of endangering the life of a child and one count of unlawful use of a weapon, after the two boys, 4 and 12, were wounded when the gun went off as the oven was being heated.

The sister of the two boys was cooking at the stove at 3:55 p.m. Friday at a home in the 4800 block of South Racine Avenue, when she heard loud noises coming from it, police said. The sister heard the 4-year-old boy cry out and saw blood coming from his leg, and the older boy was hit in the head with flying debris.

The 4-year-old boy was taken to Children's Memorial Hospital, where he was in stable condition as of Saturday with a gunshot wound to the leg. The 12-year-old boy was treated and released from Children's Memorial for treatment of his head wound, police said.

Court information for Smith was not immediately available.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/gun.in.oven.2.682816.html

hillbilly68 03-23-2008 12:18 PM

I hope the children are OK. And I hope the guy did not have a permit for the weapon. Would like to hear the Paul Harvey on this one.

fapprez 03-23-2008 01:56 PM

Sadly, I believe I've heard of this kind of thing before. First off, who stores a LOADED gun in the stove, honestly? Secondly, who would store a loaded gun in reach of a child? ( I know my 2YO can open the stove ) And last, I consider it a general rule to inspect everything before I use it, because I have a child. I always look in the stove, and I always turn on the light and look in the toilet at night. I never know WHAT my little girl coukld have left me in either one. I hope they nail this guy to the wall. The is no room for an irresponsible gun owner.

Righteous 03-23-2008 03:13 PM

maybe he got it confused with the stock in the dishwasher threads

bkt 03-23-2008 06:53 PM

An oven is one of the last places I would look to find a firearm. Maybe the guy thought it was a safe place? Many guys never turn on their oven; they just plain don't cook at all so the idea that the heat from the oven would be a danger maybe never occurred to him.

For the record, storing a loaded firearm in an oven is a U.S. Grade-A moronic thing to do.

jeepcreep927 03-25-2008 01:52 AM

Who stores a gun in the oven? Everyone knows they should be kept in the microwave, for three reasons. 1) It's usually out of reach of a small child. 2) It lights up when you open the door so you don't forget there's a gun in there. 3) Even if you do forget, the lil' blue sparks will remind you if you fire it up before removing the gun. All in all, a much safer place to store your gun.
:D

fluffo63 03-25-2008 03:08 AM

..For sure a (HOT TOPIC) i hope the injured are OK..myself
i would not have a Stupid Clue why? he would put the gun in the
oven???this is not funny,but this comes to my mind...
.......HOTTER THAN A TWO DOLLAR PISTOL....:rolleyes:

Chance_P 03-25-2008 09:29 AM

you mean it isnt a good idea to store flammable things in a stove?!?! :confused:

fapprez 03-25-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 (Post 19936)
Who stores a gun in the oven? Everyone knows they should be kept in the microwave, for three reasons. 1) It's usually out of reach of a small child. 2) It lights up when you open the door so you don't forget there's a gun in there. 3) Even if you do forget, the lil' blue sparks will remind you if you fire it up before removing the gun. All in all, a much safer place to store your gun.
:D

You make a very good point.:rolleyes: