Gun Store Plastic? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Store Plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Confession time (in a very low voice).......I have a plastic gun.

It's a Taurus 24/7. It stays in my truck. My Colt 1911 Stainless Gold Cup (my favorite pistol) spends most of its time in my gun safe with my (Belgian made) Browning Hi-Power. These guns are just too valuable to keep in my truck. The Taurus works fine, has run about 400 rounds of 20 year old re-loads flawlessly, and most were in the black at 15 yards. I do believe I shoot just a tad better with the 1911, but then again I've been shooting it for 25 years.

Now as to buying good quality US made firearms. I'd like to. I suppose I could have bought an XD instead of the Taurus, but I liked the Taurus better.

Most of the guns that I have been buying lately have been Italian manufactured replicas of older era rifles and pistols. I could have bought a Shiloh Sharps 1874 in .45-70 (made in Montana), but it was twice the price of the Pedersoli and had a year or longer waiting period. Ditto for American custom made Hawkens and flintlocks. Same story with BP Pistols, you just cant get (or afford) the US options.

TXnorton

Old 12-09-2009, 11:26 AM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

A gun store is like any other retail establisment - they're going to carry what sells the best. My local hangout has the typical assortment of Glocks, XDs, and entry level 1911s on the shelf as most do. The kid that owns it does pickup some nice used stuff but he rarely puts it out on display. He generally advertises the used stuff on Gunbroker and keeps it piled up in the back room of the store.

About once a month I wander into the back room and look for gems, found my Airweight and both Colt Troopers gathering dust back there. Come to find out he had bought up the "evidence room" from a local PD and while some of them were junk - there was also some very nice stuff in the lot...

Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #23

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you want a specific hand gun from the specific store. Then OPEN YOUR MOUTH, tell them you are LOOKING FOR A 500 LOUDENWAFFENBOOMER so If you see one grab it and call me. Most small shops will do that. At least the one that was in my home town would do that for good customers.

Sorry but your use of the term plastic was confusing. Why not just say god all the stores sell the same dam thing. Get on gun broker and buy what you want and have it shipped them them for the transfer. They make $25 to $35 of pure profit from you doing that.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #24

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
LOOKING FOR A 500 LOUDENWAFFENBOOMER
Sounds like the perfect gun for you T...

Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Sorry but your use of the term plastic was confusing. Why not just say god all the stores sell the same dam thing. Get on gun broker and buy what you want and have it shipped them them for the transfer. They make $25 to $35 of pure profit from you doing that.
Understood. I use the term to describe "plastic" (kinda slang) when speaking in a non-material sense to describe a type of product, music or idea that is manufactured and/or distributed massively and basically made form a common "mold" that leaves little or no opportunity for it to achieve individuality.

As far as Gunbroker. . . I kinda like the idea of going downtown in my place of residence and being able to pick up a "gem" as you said. I know this can't happen often, but I've seen this place (which I still love) go from a consistency of having these "gems" available, to noting at all in a period of 6mo or less. I just kinda bummed me out.

Oh well. Time to move on.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:08 AM   #26

Ill tell ya what. I was just talking to a friend back from where I was stationed, and the gun store and range he frequents has a S&W .500 mag that they just reduced the price on. I think he said it is now in the low eights, twelve inch barrel, and they are a great store. Donates rifles for raffles for different organizations and everything. I believe that they have several other S&Ws available.

Knock yourself out.
Sportsman's Lodge.
(910)937-6334
3521 New Bern Hwy
Jacksonville NC, 28540

Apparently they are also having a raffle for a DPMS AR right now. All proceeds will go to (I believe he said) the Marines that got blown up in Afghan in October. But I may have heard him wrong.

They are a really good store, and I have made purchases from them even after moving away just to support the good work they do.

Go ahead, put your money where your mouth is.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #27

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Vote with your $.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-10-2009, 01:29 AM   #28

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What was originally posted as a fair question, IMO, has evolved into a gang-bang.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
What was originally posted as a fair question, IMO, has evolved into a gang-bang.
It very well may have.

Now that said. If you are looking for a collectors piece in a gun store, you are probably looking in the wrong place. The only collectors pieces I have seen in any gun store since I can remember, and I have been in a lot of gun stores, are newly built lever guns and M1s.

Now, that said. There are large chain stores that have all that stuff. But you have already said you do not like chain stores.

So. You understand supply and demand. People now a days, by and large are buying for defense. They want something that they can put a large volume of fire on the target quickly so they can save their lives. The good old cowboy shooters just can't do that.

Yes wheel guns have their place. I agree.

So, a gun store that caters to the relics that only collect these pieces will go out of business. And once again, more of our economy goes down the toilet.

So what do you do when you want to get a piece for your collection? You do what my late husband did. Go out, network with others like yourself, and look in the places that you normally find these pieces.

Unless there is a sudden resurgence of collectors in this country, you are not going to find collectors pieces in the gun stores.

If you simply want to see more new, protection pieces made by American companies in your stores, then you need to vote with the power of your dollar.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #30

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I doubt that whatever the OP is willing to spend is going to change the way the big houses do business....or any other gun shop, for that matter.

Oh, forget it.