Gun Store Plastic? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Store Plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't know about everyone else. But for me it has nothing to do with a lack of pride. I choose to effect change with the power of my dollar. If the American Companies do not want to take heed then so be it.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-09-2009, 01:47 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
easy there. I bought one of those generic mindless guns because it was the best I could afford to fit my needs and protect my family. You must be blessed to be to a point where you can be so liquid with your money and indulge in specific weapons for the sole purpose of adding to your collection. the rest of us do the best we can with what we have.
Sorry, no "easy there" for me bud. I am certainly not blessed with an excess of liquid assets that I may dispose of at will. I'm a carpenter for cryin' out loud. Furthermore, I don't consider buying a quality firearm an indulgence. For your sensitivity I will add that the last two firearms I added to my collection were used and over 3 decades old, but were a classic piece of the American tradition of excellence and quality. I'm also sure that the cost of them did not exceed by much the cost of the usual "plastic".

In reference to "My collection" as I did state. It's not just to look at pal. . . every one of the guns I own has a purpose, or multiple purposes, they don't ever just sit. They are all used. I was raised to learn the value of a dollar and I'm careful how I spend it. If it takes me 6 months of saving between a quality purchase rather than three months for a "plastic" purchase, you can bet I'll have the patience to wait it out and come away with something I'm proud of.

Function is great, but the American standard of excellence and quality is something special. It did not happen by accident that a bunch of farmers and tradesmen with squirrel guns conquered an empire.

I'll do my best to preserve and nurture the God given gift of workmanship skill, innovation, foresight and improvement that we were blessed with and pass it on to my fellow brothers.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I do my best to buy American whenever possible. However, there are some times when it's just not possible or unfortunately, a waste of good money.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I do my best to buy American whenever possible. However, there are some times when it's just not possible or unfortunately, a waste of good money.
Totally agreed. But when it is. . .

Old 12-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #15

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Diggs, I understand what you are saying, but I think you are a bit out of line with the rest of the forum on this issue.

Fact: If you wanted to buy American, and you wanted an American Firearm, you would own an M1911-A1. That is AMERICAN METAL.

Fact: Some members of this forum do not live somewhere they can wait 6 months to buy a "good" firearm by your standards.

Fact: Jess is a girl. She isn't a "dude".

Myth: Plastic = Not effective.

The Springfield Aromory XD incorporates some of the same features found on the 1911 pistol, the GRAND father of modern semi auto pistols.

If the Tactical Plastic isn't for you, that is fine. It's not for a lot of people, but that does not mean that the platform would not function in a defensive moment. Even Glock, which I loathe with the the heat of passion of 12 suns, will still go bang when you pull the trigger.

Just because you don't personally care for it, doesn't mean that it is NOT perfect for someone else.

JD

Old 12-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like steel magnums.

I just like steel. If I was going to buy an autoloader, it would be steel.....no plastic. I guess I am old and set in my ways and in the minority here.

OC

"magbum"

Old 12-09-2009, 02:30 AM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If the Tactical Plastic isn't for you, that is fine. It's not for a lot of people, but that does not mean that the platform would not function in a defensive moment. Even Glock, which I loathe with the the heat of passion of 12 suns, will still go bang when you pull the trigger.

Just because you don't personally care for it, doesn't mean that it is NOT perfect for someone else.

JD
Here, here, JD, I agree completely with your post. I was not aware you disliked the Glock. Originally, I was not a fan of the combat Tupperware, but when the service went to the Glock 17 I was forced into becoming a Glock Instructor and Armorer. I will have to say this for the platform, it does work and it works almost every single time. It is simple and worked very well with some of my weaker shooters (male and female). But if I had my druthers I would go with a steel weapon as when it comes to crunch time I like the idea of being able to beat someone to death with an empty steel gun and I think the Glock would break before I could accomplish that.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Diggs, I understand what you are saying, but I think you are a bit out of line with the rest of the forum on this issue.

Fact: If you wanted to buy American, and you wanted an American Firearm, you would own an M1911-A1. That is AMERICAN METAL.

Fact: Some members of this forum do not live somewhere they can wait 6 months to buy a "good" firearm by your standards.

Fact: Jess is a girl. She isn't a "dude".

Myth: Plastic = Not effective.

The Springfield Aromory XD incorporates some of the same features found on the 1911 pistol, the GRAND father of modern semi auto pistols.

JD
OK then. First of all I don't own a 1911 because of the fact that I'm left handed. I can pretty much adapt to any weapon, but I won't invest in one that is impractical to myself. I have learned to use this weapon, but until I come across one in a left handed configuration it's not on my list. In addition the 1911 isn't the only American firearm.

I never said everyone should wait 6 mo. to buy a decent firearm, but if seeking a quality purchase it does take patience.

Fact: NEVER used the word "dude" I did say "bud", but as most of us know Jess is a pretty neutral name. It could be short for Jessica (my wife's name) or Jesse (as in Jesse James). Who knows?

As far as plastic. I thought I made it clear that I was referring to a any given mass produced firearm that we see day in and day out. Not an actual plastic firearm regarding material. By the way I own and frequently shoot XD's.

I started this thread because I was disappointed by the lack of variety, RECENTLY with in the doors of my favorite gun store and was troubled by the fact that I did not have the option of purchasing a classic (even if old and used) and I always have throughout my stay here in CO.

The intent was not to put anyone or their choice of firearms down in any way. Just to hear others thoughts on choosing to shop at less desirable spots.

I own and shoot lots of plastic (even the kind I wasn't referring to). But when I want something different, I would like to support the men and women that I enjoy being with and I know are real people, not some hole in the wall run by strangers that are not so pleasant.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Here, here, JD, I agree completely with your post. I was not aware you disliked the Glock. Originally, I was not a fan of the combat Tupperware, but when the service went to the Glock 17 I was forced into becoming a Glock Instructor and Armorer. I will have to say this for the platform, it does work and it works almost every single time. It is simple and worked very well with some of my weaker shooters (male and female). But if I had my druthers I would go with a steel weapon as when it comes to crunch time I like the idea of being able to beat someone to death with an empty steel gun and I think the Glock would break before I could accomplish that.

Dzs - I should clarify. I loathe the Glock because of it's fanboys that think that weapon is the end all, beat all, weapon that will fire the last shot when the Heaven's fall, when the river's run with Fire and when the God's of Old, Walk the Earth.

THAT is the Glock that I Hate, Loathe and will campaign against forever.

As a platform, for the masses, that will protect you and go bang almost everytime, I have always given teh Devil it's due in that department.

The Glock is no competition pistol. It is no Marksmen's pistol. It is not Operator's Pistol.

but for someone with limited, or almost non-existant firearms knowledge that wants a great gun to protect the family, it is 110% as good as advertised.

Now, if you get the fanboys to STFU about how "great" it is, well, we can talk.....

JD

Old 12-09-2009, 03:36 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wish there was a cool gun store near me. I'm not a Gander Mountain kind of guy; i don't like crowds or some of the prices. They were also almost $100 higher on the XD45 i bought from a smaller, semi-cool, fairly helpful, and not unfriendly sporting goods store that is locally owned. I miss the gun store i went to as a kid; the owner/smith was more intersted in working on guns than selling them & kept very few NIB guns on his shelves. I wonder if that is why he went out of business when i was in high school?

I bought my "plastic" XD for mostly practical reasons; i am looking for some cool guns as you describe them (muzzle-loading pistol, GI-looking 1911, a revolver or two in .38spl, .357, or .44). I'm also interested in a certain AK variant, but i have to buy some Christmas gifts first. I would love to get an M14 (or as close as i can find), but that is above my paygrade, currently.

I hope your favorite shop sells enough "plastic" to stay in business & get you the nicer pieces you want.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.