Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Gun Store Plastic?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Gun Store Plastic?

I'm sure everyone here has a local gun store that they tend to frequent more so than others when seeking to invest in a new (to you) firearm. The gentlemen that operate my gun store of choice are great people, extremely knowledgeable, experienced, honest and fair. However, the past two times I went to seek out a "type" of gun needed for my collection all they had filling their shelves was plastic. And no I don't mean plastic guns. I mean plastic by the same old run of the mil, mediocre firearms, that you see on every website, in every magazine and on the shelves of all the "Major" sporting goods stores.

It seems if I'm not there to catch a decent trade in, there is really nothing special that I would enjoy shooting, much less put in my safe next to quality and unique guns.

So what do you think of this? I am disappointed that I have had to spend money with other businesses in order to satisfy my collection. The other places in town aren't nearly as friendly, higher priced, less knowledgeable and just flat out rude some of the time. The guys at my usual store have provided a range outside of town that is beautiful and fun. They will order anything I ask, but half the time I don't want a new gun.

Should I politely tell them that their ordering policy needs some consideration? Or are there just so many people that buy up the Glocks, XDs, Taurus revolvers, 1911s, Century build AKs and AR variants that it wouldn't be wise from a business stand point to keep an inventory outside those lines?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Most gun stores try to stock their shelves with things that are currently selling well.
For instance, here at the gun store I work at, we've got a .25acp beretta thats been here longer than i've worked here.
Here in Georgia, it seems that everybody wants an XD, Glocks aren't really moving at all.
It's nice to have a diverse collection in inventory, but the fact is that what you refer to as "plastic" is what's selling, everything else just sits there and takes up space.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #3

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Should I politely tell them that their ordering policy needs some consideration? Or are there just so many people that buy up the Glocks, XDs, Taurus revolvers, 1911s, Century build AKs and AR variants that it wouldn't be wise from a business stand point to keep an inventory outside those lines?
You said it with that paragraph. Gun stores are businesses and the gun business is booming right now meaning stores can make more by moving large volume of low profit guns vs low volume high profit unique guns. The internet is also working against you. It provides access to every type of gun under the sun via gunbroker or other websites. The gun store still makes a profit because of the transfer charge, so why waste their capital keeping items that might remain on the shelf a long time when they can invest that money into a Glock, XD, 1911 that will move next week.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 12-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

So too many mindless followers influenced by modern trends, huh? I guess that's no surprise. I just seems that it wouldn't hurt to have a couple nice Smith's setting next to the swarms of Taurus crap. It's also a shame that even the gun industry is pushing foreign made products along with every other retailer. It used to be a great place. Maybe after they do 5-10 transfers for me in quality guns they might get the hint. Or maybe I'll just tell them to put some decent weapons on the shelves for those of us that still have pride.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #5

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Bidness be bidness and bidness be good! Those gunstore owners are an endangered species. From the Feds and from the Big Box stores. They have to sell what is going to sell to operate.

Most shops will special order firearms for good and loyal customers. Support them as best you can.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I support them as well as their range. I know they're trying to stock what sells. I guess its just a shame for me to see the value of true American craftsmanship decline in every aspect.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 PM   #7

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I know what you mean. It's another symptom of a failing set of values.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
So too many mindless followers influenced by modern trends, huh? I guess that's no surprise. I just seems that it wouldn't hurt to have a couple nice Smith's setting next to the swarms of Taurus crap. It's also a shame that even the gun industry is pushing foreign made products along with every other retailer. It used to be a great place. Maybe after they do 5-10 transfers for me in quality guns they might get the hint. Or maybe I'll just tell them to put some decent weapons on the shelves for those of us that still have pride.
easy there. I bought one of those generic mindless guns because it was the best I could afford to fit my needs and protect my family. You must be blessed to be to a point where you can be so liquid with your money and indulge in specific weapons for the sole purpose of adding to your collection. the rest of us do the best we can with what we have.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
easy there. I bought one of those generic mindless guns because it was the best I could afford to fit my needs and protect my family. You must be blessed to be to a point where you can be so liquid with your money and indulge in specific weapons for the sole purpose of adding to your collection. the rest of us do the best we can with what we have.
Agreed Jess. Its just like the car industry by and large. Yes I do own American. But many people have gone to purchasing foreign built cars for a reason. Many people are purchasing foreign built guns for the same reason. High quality, good customer service (save for Taurus), and reasonable price.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 12-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #10

It's a lack of pride, a lack of money, and as much as no one truely wants to accept it, the current dieing condition of America. It's cheaper, easier, and more convenient for other people to mass produce our guns for us. It's the same reason all the best mom and pop diner's have gone out of business around here, its just easier to eat a steroid and antibiotic filled $1 double cheese burger in front of your TV or in your luxury car than to sit down at a table with ones friends and family and pay a real price for a real meal. Gone are the days of style and quality, welcome to the age of convenience and ease my friend.

I may be young, but i too know that things aren't the way they used to be.

"You should see the damage, bronze. Huh? metal damage, brain damage. Heheheh. You listen bronze. I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller! I'm the Nightrider, baby .... .. .
and we ain't never comin' back!"