Gun storage advise needed.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Gun storage advise needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1877

Default Gun storage advise needed.

I'm in a quandary about storage: To wit, my wife and I are currently in the offer-counteroffer stage of selling our house, and short-term plan is to move into an apartment nearby with a six-month lease, and use that six months to get a well, septic, and electric service put in on our 15 acres in the country, and put up a garage to live in for a year or two until we can get a new house built.

My question is about storage of my long guns while we're in the apartment. We want a ground floor unit, and I really am worried about break-ins, and I really don't want to tip off everybody in the vicinity by moving in a gun safe.

On my property is a rented cargo container with very secure locks that we are using for storage anyway. If I move the gun safe into the container (unheated, no electricity to it) and keep the guns there, will silica packs be adequate to keep the humidity down during the winter and spring? I've thought about the situation and think this is my best option. What do y'all think about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6822 Times on 3625 Posts
Likes Given: 513

just oil em up real good and check them more often. should be fine. also might check with some of the local gun shops about storing them for a bit.

a rental storage unit is another option.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3531 Times on 2026 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

My door is open. Now understand, I will have to "function check" every once in a while.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
My door is open. Now understand, I will have to "function check" every once in a while.
Huh?

Old 01-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would keep them in the safe and just bring it inside. If you move it in at night you can cut down on the amount of people around. You might want to do it sooner than later in case looky lous or nosy neighbors pop over to see what you're all about. If you really want to conceal it, cut a refrigerator box and place it around the safe. Noone will be any the wiser.
I saw that people were worried, so I said to them and to their leaders and officials, "Don't be afraid of our enemies. Remember how great and terrifying the Lord is, and fight for your relatives, your children, your wives, and your homes." - Nehemiah 4:14
You are 8 times more likely to be killed by a police officer than by a terrorist.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatso View Post
I would keep them in the safe and just bring it inside. If you move it in at night you can cut down on the amount of people around. You might want to do it sooner than later in case looky lous or nosy neighbors pop over to see what you're all about. If you really want to conceal it, cut a refrigerator box and place it around the safe. Noone will be any the wiser.
I agree. Or do it during working hours. You can also use moving blankets to wrap it.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

That is a bit of a dilemma you have. Myself I would be uncomfortable moving the safe into an apartment or the storage container. But at least with the apartment you could set up some kind of security/camera in case of theft. With the container they are left completely unattended and in actuality it isn't all that hard to get into one.

Do you have any other options - family, friends, a range (as was suggested)?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used to use silica gel myself, you will need to put it into a warm oven overnight every month minimum in order to get the moisture it has absorbed back out again. I have installed goldenrod- an electrical safe heater- into most of my safes.
unfortunately goldenrod does require an electric outlet

Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I would go for a climate controlled storage unit stick the guns in there in the safe and make sure you pay the rent on time. It will cost you more but they will be secure and in a climate controlled area.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Tango, that's actually what I was discussing with my wife a couple of hours ago. We already have a unit rented, but it's damn near filled to the brim already with furniture, deer heads, books and artwork. But I think we can make it fit. We've had the unit for about 3 years now, and have never noticed any signs of tampering by management or others.