Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Gun Solvent that DOESN'T stink. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gun-solvent-doesnt-stink-62700/)

texaswoodworker 04-17-2012 06:05 AM

Gun Solvent that DOESN'T stink.

I usually use Hoppes #9 to clean my guns, and the smell really doesn't bother me, but everyone else hates it.
Is there anything else I could use to clean my guns that doesn't stink (one without much of any smell would be best)?
WD-40, Rem Oil, something else?

Thanks

Axxe55 04-17-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 773271)
I usually use Hoppes #9 to clean my guns, and the smell really doesn't bother me, but everyone else hates it.
Is there anything else I could use to clean my guns that doesn't stink (one without much of any smell would be best)?
WD-40, Rem Oil, something else?

Thanks

personally i like the smell of Hoppe's #9! i also like the smell of Kano Kroil, which is becoming my general all around bore cleaner, penetrant, and gun oil. try it out. works great and doesn't smell bad at all.

sputnik1988 04-17-2012 06:20 AM

Waaay off topic here, but I LOVE the scent of that Black Magic clear spray on tire shine. It's the only one I buy and its for that reason only.:p

Ranger-6 04-17-2012 06:32 AM

My guns are cleaned with WD-40, slides are lubricated with Tetra, and everything else is oiled with Hoppe's #9. If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it.

sputnik1988 04-17-2012 06:42 AM

I use REM Oil on everything, not because its my favorite, its just readily available. I use Hoppes #9 every now and then.

steve666 04-17-2012 11:33 AM

I also like the smell of #9, but if you want something different try Clenzoil. I think it smells pretty good.

mountainman13 04-17-2012 12:02 PM

If your catching flak for hoppes switch over to clp for a while. Whoever is complaining will be happy to have you go back to hoppes. My wife complains the house smells like bananas when I clean my guns. Lol

JonM 04-17-2012 12:04 PM

If you use a small plastic squeeze bottle and a bag for used patches it greatly reduces the odor.

BillM 04-17-2012 12:07 PM

Frog Lube

Minty fresh:)

texaswoodworker 04-17-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Kano Kroil, REM Oil, Clenzoil, Frog Lube
I may have to try some of these. The person who hates the smell is my mother. She literally has a nose like a bloodhound, and hates pretty much every strong smell. Do any of those have a basically weak smell, or no smell? I'd also have to see if I could find any of that locally.
I think for now, I'll probably either clean my guns outside with the hoppes (the bag and squeeze bottle would probably not work enough for her since she doesn't want ANY more of it in the house :rolleyes:), or I'll start trying WD-40 (at least for now).

Thanks