Are Gun Shows worth going to? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Are Gun Shows worth going to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Gotcha. The cable-tie remark.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Firearm prices can be awfully high, but generally there is some dickering on price. Parts, accessories and ammunition can most times be had at relatively fair prices and there's always the option to haggle.

Gun shows are fun, educational and if you're not careful, expensive. Know what you want and the what you'll pay for it.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I say definitely yes.

I went to a big gun show in Fort worth on Jan 2 of this year. and found this:

Beretta 92F Inox

Are Gun Shows worth going to? - The Club House

Italian new in the box for a fair (not great) price.

Then I found this :

Beretta PX4

Are Gun Shows worth going to? - The Club House

I got a steal on this one New in the box - Academy Sport & Outdoor had them on sale for $519 without night sights.

I bought mine with night sights for $559 - got a good price and the night sights only cost me $40.

You have to know what your looking for and the right price.

Then they can be great.

Just my .02

Last edited by Don Davis; 01-17-2010 at 11:53 PM.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I forgot to mention that gun shows can be excellent for locating oddball and discontinued parts.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I go for the drool factor, but they are OVERPRICED here.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

you sometimes get really good deals if you go a lot like i do. found a ruger 44 carbine guy walking around the show had it offered him 180 for it paid 200 it looked like it had been sitting in a closet never having seen a drop of oil since 1982. it turned out being made in 1976. the guy i got it from said it stopped working in in the 90's. all it needed was to be cleaned functioned flawless once i cleaned it.

picked up my CZ550 in .458 lott at a gunshow for 400$ guy didnt like the cost of the ammo and he didnt reload looking to get rid of claimed he shot less than 10 rounds before giving up on the big bore. rifle like new with a 250$ nikon shotgun scope. it shoots sub MOA at 300yards.

lots of stuff is way overpriced. but if there are specific things you want, go enough times and you will get it for a good price. i have only ever bought a new gun at a gunshow once it was my DPMS panther M4 found a dealer selling em for 100 less than the cheapest gunstore in the area. so i bought one as i was in the market for one at the time.

this weekend i picked up a cmmg conversion for my colt SP1 same price as i could order it just happened to be there got an extra mag for 10$ not sure if the mag was deal or not as i didnt research it but 10$ for a extra mag new cant be too far off.

gunshows are fun its one of the last places left to us where its a large free-for-all market atmosphere with buyer and seller beware. always lots of interesting people to talk to. gun show are awesome.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
cbw

Looks like I will be going.

Yes the EMP will get holster wear look and not be pristine... but that's what I bought her for

thanks for all the imput

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #28

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well good luck and enjoy!

You got a lot of good feedback on your post in just a short period of time. That's what's so great about this forum.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:19 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

To the OP:

Yes, go. Like someone already stated, if for nothing than for the reasons of meeting like-minded folks and the frequent odd-ball

I've found that prices are generally not much better than what your local dealer can provide, if not higher. Ammo is especially expensive. (in my area at least)

However, I have found that on the final day of the show, prices are generally slashed. So, if what you're looking for isn't already snatched up you might find a bargain.

Also plastic (cards, not guns ) is usually worthless, so bring cash if you intend to buy anything. Lots of cash.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default But the owner will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The cable tie will not damage or scratch your gun.
You are right lon. The cable tie will not damage the firearm. Problem is-the owner will, as he removes the ct. outside of the gun show, with his pocket knife--Ask me how I know??. Always take a large nail clipper to show, to remove cable tie, to make your sidearm "Road Ready" after the gun show..