Are Gun Shows worth going to?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Are Gun Shows worth going to?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
cbw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are Gun Shows worth going to?

I have a chance to go to a Crossroads of the West Gun Show in Phoenix this coming weekend. Having never been to one I have several questions;

Are there really deals there?

Since I'm looking for a holster for my EMP 40 can I bring it (unloaded) to the show for checking fit in holsters? Do holster makers let you check fit?

I've read about the shows going down hill and turning into a giant yard sale type events and I hope that is not what this one is. Please advise for those who have been there...

[The odds are always 50/50

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 AM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never having been to a show in Arizona, all I can speak to is the huge gun show that takes place in Fort Worth, Texas twice a year:

1. Pricewise, you could probably do better at a gun shop for new firearms or accessories.

2. At the Fort Worth show, you CAN bring firearms, but there are LEOs at the entrance who will check that they are unloaded and insert a cable tie into the receiver...which is a GOOD thing.

3. If a holster dealer DOESN'T let you check for fit, you should go to another dealer.

4. You can find hidden treasures at yard sales some times. There are very few "pre-owned" dealers at our show, and I wish there were more. So shop carefully, and you could come away with something really good if you've done your homework.

But I think it's worth the price of admission if nothing else.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
cbw

Thanx for the imput. I'm not to thrilled with a LEO sticking a cable in on or around my EMP 40 which doesn't have a mark on it! I understand the need but think I would rather pass on bringing it in if that is the case in AZ.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Gun shows are hit or miss usually,I go to quite a few in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area every year. Like Lonyaeger said,If you are wanting a new gun check the prices at local shops first.
Most dealers at the shows are as much or higher on new guns,and you really need to know your used guns or you could pay more for them than you could get a new one for.
You can get some great deals on accessories new & used if you look hard enough. If you know what kind of holster you want,note what the price you can get one on the internet,etc.,and then if you can find one at the show for a comparable price that you like get it.

As with everything,prices have gone through the roof at most shows,because the prices that the dealers/vendors have to pay for their spaces.A dealer with several spaces has to make a couple hundred dollars profit each day just to cover the cost of the table space,and then you have to pay for gas/lodging/food,etc.. It sure isn't like it used to be with $5 table space rentals,now it is $60-100 a table at the big shows for the dealers.

The funny thing is that if you go to the shows in your area several times,you will see the same old dealers with tables full of crap that almost nobody will buy (old junk-wore out old gun parts),and for some reason they just keep on paying those high table prices and then have to load up all their junk and bring it to the next show again.

If you haven't been to a gun show,by all means go. Just if all you do is walk around and look at stuff,they are fun,and you will see some very different characters there!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

sometimes I come out of them disgusted and angry that I paid admission, sometimes I come out feeling like I just went to Disneyland. I agree with what our other guys said above, stay away from new and look for bargains. Last one I went to was a blast, met some really knowledgable people that didnt have the ego that is so rampant among sellers of our tools as of late.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
cbw

Well I'm just looking at holsters. I printed off some discount coupons to get in for $1.00 less, so I guess I'll go and look around. Least I'll be able to say I've been to one.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbw View Post
Thanx for the imput. I'm not to thrilled with a LEO sticking a cable in on or around my EMP 40 which doesn't have a mark on it! I understand the need but think I would rather pass on bringing it in if that is the case in AZ.
The cable tie will not damage or scratch your gun.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
cbw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
The cable tie will not damage or scratch your gun.
I missed the wording and only saw and heard "Cable" which made me go to wire = scratches. Big jump on my part, and would be expensive to hand out too!

Old 01-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #9

I haven't read other replies, because I have a definite opion on this. My opinion is: They are worth going to shop, decide what you like. They are worth going to, to buy if you are buying from another private citizen. If you are trying to buy or sell with a dealer, he has to make money. They are only gonna buy a gun if they can mark it up 30% and sell it in a reasonable amount of time. They are only gonna sell a gun if the can make 30% over what they bought it for. With that in mind, if you are looking for something you can't get just anywhere, look to buy it at a gun show. If you are looking to buy/sell at a place where you are at an advantage, a gun show (unless dealing with a private citizen) is not the place. I love going to gun shows, but I mostly look for other people who are trying to sell/ buy something privately.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #10

I disagree, last year I bought 2 handguns and 1 rifle new in the box for better prices then what I could get at my local gun stores, at least 10% better, go on the last day and deal it works